PDA

View Full Version : Rule of thumb where to tap trees when starting new

woodguyrob
12-28-2019, 08:05 PM
My first year and I've got 40 never tapped trees marked for tapping this season using buckets on the ground. For the sake of continuity in tube lengths
and spacing tap holes is it easiest to tap all in the same area on each tree the first year to keep track, then 2nd season tap all on the opposite side?

n8hutch
12-28-2019, 09:51 PM
You can do that, any system that works for you is fine just as long as you move your taps around on the tree. When I did drops to buckets I tapped pretty low on the trees, I'd say about 3' up from the ground.

NoblesvilleIN
12-29-2019, 11:26 AM
I'm able to see where a tap was from the previous year and also from a prior year. For future reference, go look at a few of your trees next summer and again in the fall to see the progression of healing. Good Luck.

maple flats
12-30-2019, 08:48 AM
I suggest you tap about 1/4 of the total on the east face, 1/4 on the south face and so on. Too many tend to tap on one face the first year, then the next they move around the tree a few inches to tap. That brings it to all on the north side at some point.
All 4 sides will give sap, but the sunny sides will flow best at times, but you want in any year to use all faces.
Generally, if without vacuum like you will be, the old formula for tapping in year 2 was to move over 2-3" and up or down 4-6". Then in year 3, repeat, keep going in the same direction, and over 2-3" from the previous year's tap scar, but if you moved down last year, move up this. With gravity tapping, drill in about 1.5-2" angled very slightly upward, use a 5/16 tap and tubing. Don't tap under a 10" tree, at 18" you can tap 2 on opposite sides of the tree, on a 25" tree tap 3 times, evenly spaced, never more than 3.
If you go to vacuum at some point, never more than 2 tap/tree, 1 at 10", 2 at 20+.
Most of all, keep it fun.

DrTimPerkins
12-30-2019, 02:58 PM
As Dave indicated, spreading out your taps over all aspects is the best approach. It spreads out the "risk" of a poor season somewhat. In general, over several years, all aspects will average out about the same in terms of sap yield. The difference is in the timing. South and west-facing taps will run earlier in the season, but may dry out sooner. North and east will tend to run later and continue until the sap turns buddy. If you put all your taps on the south, you risk having hot sunny weather drying out all your taps prematurely. By spreading the taps out in all directions, you mitigate that risk.

woodguyrob
12-30-2019, 03:00 PM
Thanks guys!

I like the idea of NOT tapping them all the same to start, so you don't end up with a season of North facing tap holes and wasn't sure how visible the previous years tap holes would be.