PDA

View Full Version : Brick size difference

Grabouss
12-28-2019, 06:39 AM
In a wood fired arch, is there a significant advantage to using the thicker 2.5” fire bricks vs 1.25”. I’m not sure if the most significant improvement is durability or boiling efficiency, or anything else for that matter. I’m looking at wallet efficiency as well so if the bigger bricks won’t give me a substantial advantage I’ll go with the 1.25” bricks.

buckeye gold
12-28-2019, 07:22 AM
Use the full (thicker bricks ) for the fiirebox floor. Sides and ramp can get half bricks (thin ) and then use refractory over the joints on the walls. It helps to have ceramic blanket behind the wall bricks and under the ramp bricks.

raptorfan85
12-28-2019, 08:00 AM
The brick doesn't provide any insulation, so the only advantage is that the thicker bricks hold up better. Especially in the firebox of a wood arch where you are throwing wood into them. I used full bricks in mine because I didn't want to worry about breaking one by chucking a piece of wood in and hitting it.

Russell Lampron
12-28-2019, 07:13 PM
When I bricked my arch I found that the 1/2 bricks were the same price as the full bricks. They hurt the wallet just as much, use full bricks.