PDA

View Full Version : Tapping When Above Freezing

WestfordSugarworks
12-27-2019, 08:30 PM
Are there disadvantages to tapping when it's above freezing? We are planning to get going on January 1 but the temps look to be above freezing for some of the days. We usually have good cold weather for early January. I imagine microbial activity might be greater when the temps are warmer.. will there be a potential for these tapholes to close sooner than if we tapped when below freezing?

buckeye gold
12-27-2019, 08:54 PM
I would think bacterial activity is pretty low under 50. Most refrigeration is in the 40s.

Sugarmaker
12-28-2019, 08:12 AM
Old school thoughts here come to mind. So we didnt think much about the microbial activity much when we drilled the hole with a brace and bit, tapped in a cast spout, hung a clean bucket and placed a lid on top. In fact it sure was a lot more pleasant to be tapping with a light jacket and the sun shining than in freezing temps. The first gush of sap would push out of the tree. We made some very good syrup, never considering those darn microbes!:) Just saying.
Keep Boiling!
Regards,
Chris

ennismaple
01-02-2020, 12:29 PM
I find you don't get as may taps per battery charge when tapping above freezing. The wet taphole seems to put a bit more strain on the drill. Anywhere from 5 degrees below freezing and up is a good day to tap!

maple flats
01-02-2020, 04:21 PM
Tap when you can and don't worry. I actually prefer tapping when the sap is flowing, you see better that all of the drill shavings get pushed out easier.