PDA

View Full Version : Removeable/retractable hood system

Maple River Sugar
12-03-2019, 11:14 AM
I am currently boiling under a lean to off my barn, I would like to move my operation inside and configure the hood and piping to move the unit into a corner and retract the hood towards the roof in order to use the area in the off season.

What set ups are out there which would allow me to accomplish this with minimal yearly setup and tear down time. I was thinking of removing a couple sections of pipe and then have an electric hoist pull it up high enough to run my tractor under it. The evaporator is currently set up on casters and can be easily moved to a corner.

The sidewall height of barn is 14' with a steel roof.

What ideas do you have.

Thanks in advance.

Chickenman
12-03-2019, 12:09 PM
My big concern would be the diesel exhaust residue accumulating on/in the hood. I got a 2 year old refrigerator from my inlaws that was in the garage when he had a diesel pickup truck. Had to scrub that thing down inside and out.

johnallin
12-03-2019, 04:55 PM
... I would like to move my operation inside and configure the hood and piping to move the unit into a corner and retract the hood towards the roof in order to use the area in the off season. What set ups are out there which would allow me to accomplish this with minimal yearly setup and tear down time. I was thinking of removing a couple sections of pipe and then have an electric hoist pull it up high enough to run my tractor under it. The evaporator is currently set up on casters and can be easily moved to a corner..

I have a 4 part lifting bridle made up of 1/8" stainless wire. Each leg is attached to a corner on the steam hood with D shackles so I can remove the bridle when the arch is in use.
The four wires of the bridle terminate at a stainless ring with a single block attached.

The line which lifts it is attached to a block with a becket which is fastened to the rafter above the arch. This line drops down to the bridle, goes through the block on the bridle ring and back up to through the block on the rafter. It's then led down to a cleat on the wall next to the arch. Basically a two-part hoist which make lifting and securing the hood effortless.

There are lots of commercial kits out there, but here is a link that'll get your mind going the right direction and you'll find all you need at a local hardware or sail loft.
https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Block_and_tackle

maple flats
12-03-2019, 07:51 PM
I also have a lift system. Each corner of the hood has a SS cable (1/8") attached. Then directly above each corner is a pulley. Each of the cables rout thru 1 or more pulleys to end up all in one spot. From there they all attach to the cable from a boat winch, which is always attached. The winch is attached to one wall and I crank up or down to raise or lower the hood. My hood will only go up about 4' or to a height of 6.5' off the floor because my steam stacks telescope. By that I have 15" stacks on the steam hood and 13" stacks suspended from above (the 13" fits into the 15" from below it). I raise the hood until a 45 in one stack prohibits more lifting.
This is all over my arch and pans. I also would be aware of foreign smells and contaminants that might get into the hood. I only raise mine for cleaning and then it gets back down onto the evaporator.

Sugarmaker
12-04-2019, 10:39 AM
Maple River Sugar,
After reading this again I might suggest leaving the hood on the rig and just lift the pipe. I have added a handle on the side of my steam pipe and hooked a boat winch to that and lifted the pipe off the hood.
Regards,
Chris

Maple River Sugar
12-04-2019, 10:55 AM
These are all great ideas, thanks guys.