PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations needed on 5/16 two handed tubing tool

Bruce L
11-26-2019, 11:50 AM
Old tubing tool worn out,got it back in the eighties. Looking to replace,prices are pretty comparable between brands,anyone have experience with one working better than others? Thanks

western mainer
11-26-2019, 04:53 PM
https://lineviper.com/ I picked this up about 6 weeks ago being left handed it took me longer to get used to it now that I have I like it alot.
Brian

Sorry you said two hand

maple flats
11-26-2019, 08:11 PM
I've had several types over the years, but I now only use 2 types. For 2 hand tools I really like the LOAC tool, mine does both 3/16 and 5/16 with a quick adjustment. For repairs I just use a 1 hand tool. It is simply a tool made using a pair of pliers, it grips the tubing, and pushes the fitting into the tubing. It also cuts tubing, but I use a separate cutter. When using the 1 hand tool, I also carry a set of tubing grips joined with a 1/8" piece of cord. The grips each have 2 slots, one fits snugly on 3/16, or 5/16 by using the right slot. I snap one on each side of where I need to cut for repair, then everything can be done with a 1 hand tool. These holders can also be made using 1/4" plywood.

needmoremaples
11-29-2019, 06:30 PM
Can you explain more on the plywood peice? I'm guessing you just make a slot the size of your tubing or maybe even a tad smaller to grip it better? I want a set but dont want to pay for it lol

maple flats
11-30-2019, 05:58 AM
Yes, just a little smaller. Then the cord joining them is near one end. You might best get the concept by checking here: https://www.bascommaple.com/item/tubth/tubing_tools/ (likely others also carry them)
That is an aluminum version, I have both wood and aluminum, the wood ones seem to be easier to use. My wood ones only have 2 grips, the aluminum one at Bascom, have a third, you attach one end grip one side of where you will cut a lateral, attach the middle one at the other side of where you will cut, and then you can pull the third one and then attach it near the middle one to create a loose section in which to work. The middle one is free to slide on the cord, the other 2 are tied near opposite ends of the cord.