PDA

View Full Version : What’s going on at Leader?

Bruce L
11-21-2019, 05:41 PM
I read in the last issue of Maple News where Brad Gillilan has been replaced as President at Leader,wasn’t there very long,thought it should have gone to his Father,Bruce instead.

maplwrks
11-22-2019, 11:21 AM
Bruce retired.

ToadHill
12-02-2019, 04:13 AM
I liked Brad. Wonder why he left and why they're bringing in someone without maple experience?

ToadHill
01-13-2020, 03:53 PM
Still no news?

pls009
01-14-2020, 10:50 AM
I thought it was odd that they didn't have an advertisement in the last Maple News - they have always had a one page advertisement in the past.

maple flats
01-14-2020, 04:57 PM
Maybe the new one was a bean counter, all numbers and no realization how valuable advertising is to a company's bottom line.

DrTimPerkins
01-15-2020, 09:13 AM
Met the new Leader Evaporator Co. President (Jeff Smith) at the NYS Maple Conference. Seems like a nice friendly person. He is a financial guy, not from the maple industry, but seems to be a real quick learner.

That said, I liked Brad (and Bruce) and got along well with him and wish him the best in whatever he's up to now. Can't say why the change happened -- such things happen in business from time-to-time. Apparently the board of directors thought a change was necessary for some reason.

Mark-NH
01-15-2020, 11:40 AM
Just another sign of the times for our Maple Industry. Board of Directors removes the local guy who has industry knowledge and a relationship to the company in favor of an outside accountant. This guy will last a couple years at most, will cut services, support and payroll to make the quarterly reports look better. Then walk away with a nice parachute, not concerned with what he left behind. And the question is, are we all better off for the advancement and changes in the Maple Industry? Equipment prices are way up, Production is way up. It is way easier now to produce syrup than it ever was but to what gain? Bulk prices are down and will not recover in the foreseeable future. The little and medium guys will get squeezed out over time because they can't keep up and the big guys and commercial producers will be the only ones able to sustain.

The kick in the pants in all this is that it was inevitable. It was too good to be true that you could still do something agriculturally and make a little money. No different than dairy, beef, cash crops it just lasted longer than most.

DrTimPerkins
01-15-2020, 12:46 PM
Just another sign of the times for our Maple Industry. Board of Directors removes the local guy who has industry knowledge and a relationship to the company in favor of an outside accountant. This guy will last a couple years at most, will cut services, support and payroll to make the quarterly reports look better.

Seems rather speculative and harsh given that we really have no idea why this course was taken. The Leader Evaporator Co. Board of Directors are all maple industry people themselves, and for reasons unknown must have felt this move was necessary. The history of the company is certainly not characterized by hasty and rash actions.

johnallin
01-15-2020, 01:13 PM
[QUOTE=DrTimPerkins;375974]Seems rather speculative and harsh given that we really have no idea why this course was taken. The Leader Evaporator Co. Board of Directors are all maple industry people themselves, and for reasons unknown must have felt this move was necessary. The history of the company is certainly not characterized by hasty and rash actions.[/QUOT

Well said.

Mark-NH
01-15-2020, 04:00 PM
Fair enough and point taken. I guess I'm getting old and cynical. My post was not meant as a specific indictment on Leader just a general observation of the modernization of the Maple industry. I wish Leader nothing but good will as an American mfr and local northern New England company. We all will get a chance to see all of this play out over time.

DrTimPerkins
01-17-2020, 03:53 PM
We all will get a chance to see all of this play out over time.

That we will.

ronewold
09-10-2020, 07:36 AM
This may not have come as a surprise to others, but I was disappointed last week when I showed up at Leader in Rutland and learned that they were closing the location permanently. I know things change, but that location had a pretty good run as a maple equipment company- 120ish years since Grimm opened there.

n8hutch
09-13-2020, 12:51 PM
Quite Certain Leader is having Financial issues, you don't pull back like they have if you don't have to. If it was just about counting beans and being more profitable they would be changing much slower. They are trying to stay afloat.

220 maple
09-14-2020, 06:40 AM
There is always a bottom line, they did this to themselves, example: I know someone who bought 300000 dollars worth of Tubing, Mainline, a 4000 gph RO, the largest Evaporator they sold at the time and everything else to go with it, Vacuum pumps, large tanks etc... Leader unloaded all that equipment and drove away! No Tech support. CDL sends their Tech support to your camp, makes sure that everything is set up and operating properly! And Guess what they will beat Leaders prices everyday and twice on Sunday, Someday I hope to buy a new evaporator, Unless something changes I will only put a CDL Evaporator in my operation, yes I know CDL is not American made, but I drive Toyota's therefore I got over the American made thing in 1980, sorta wish it was different but it is what it is!

Mark 220 Maple

Bruce L
01-16-2021, 09:19 AM
My wife and I were just commenting yesterday wondering where Bruce Gillilan is now. Leader’s loss would certainly be someone else’s gain. We found Bruce to be very helpful and knowledgeable whether you were buying from him or not. Still gradually implementing changes that he suggested to us in an afternoon walk through

fred
01-16-2021, 04:00 PM
He retired awhile ago. Wants enjoy life with little stress. Cant blame him..........

ennismaple
01-18-2021, 06:24 PM
My wife and I were just commenting yesterday wondering where Bruce Gillilan is now. Leader’s loss would certainly be someone else’s gain. We found Bruce to be very helpful and knowledgeable whether you were buying from him or not. Still gradually implementing changes that he suggested to us in an afternoon walk through I always enjoyed talking to Bruce - he was very knowledgeable and willing to share.

sugarman3
01-19-2021, 06:05 AM
The head of the board of directors at Leader would not give Brad a long term contract plus she did not like the direction of the company that Brad was trying to take them,unfortunately the board was to old school and said that they never had any sort of contract with the old president.Bruce said it was time to retire and enjoy his wife and grandkids,and yes i am not to sure of the new president when one of his first statement was 'i don't know maple but i know how to make money',now to me that seems he is in it for himself and not the maple industry or the smaller producers,which brad and bruce always made you feel you were important,big or small.

fred
01-19-2021, 01:42 PM
Jeff was hired as a financial fix. the company is on a downhill slope- self inflicted. cant fault him for sticking to numbers and doing what he was hired to do

Ultimatetreehugger
01-19-2021, 02:13 PM
Leaders hasn't been financially viable for a while now. They had to make the decision to sink or swim and they chose the one that hopefully will be able to keep the little guys sugaring for years to come.

Bruce L
01-22-2021, 06:01 AM
The head of the board of directors at Leader would not give Brad a long term contract plus she did not like the direction of the company that Brad was trying to take them,unfortunately the board was to old school and said that they never had any sort of contract with the old president.Bruce said it was time to retire and enjoy his wife and grandkids,and yes i am not to sure of the new president when one of his first statement was 'i don't know maple but i know how to make money',now to me that seems he is in it for himself and not the maple industry or the smaller producers,which brad and bruce always made you feel you were important,big or small.

Must be why I don’t hear from Leader anymore,no email,no catalogs etc. Not a big enough producer in their opinion. Evaporator purchased years ago so no big purchases planned

collinsmapleman2012
01-22-2021, 07:27 AM
Bruce, i think they re did their lists, i just got a catalog last fall and probably weekly emails. no matter what goes on there, we've got a couple stellar dealers around here, so i enjoy doing business with them for that.

Bucket Head
01-22-2021, 08:20 PM
Spoke to my local Leader dealer today, they are no longer going to be a dealer for them. Calling it quits after 20 years with them. Can't say whether Leader's woes helped that decision or not. But if it's as bad as everyone says it is there...

Very sorry to see them close the dealership.

Steve

maple flats
01-23-2021, 08:28 AM
Me too, they were close by, kept in stock quite well and they could answer any questions I had. In fact, they were my only source for maple info from Feb 3rd of my first year until I attended the maple conference the following Jan. at VVS.
I however wonder if Leader might only be part of the reason. Just a guess, but their daughter did a lot of the repairs and tapping for maybe 3 years. I wondered if she has decided to go in another direction or other interests. Jon can't do it solo and Remy can't work in the bush if she's minding the store. Maybe they make more on syrup than from working the store.

Robert K
01-23-2021, 03:05 PM
Past experience for me has been good, both our local dealers have been great to deal with and I have learned some valuable lessons from Bruce Gillian while walking a maple bush with him. Bruce supported me back when no one had heard or was using 3/16 and brought a few rolls up to a meeting so I could try it after I inquired. I hope that the company finds its way and continues, sometimes great things can come out of a re-evaluation. Perhaps the company will reinvent itself .