PDA

View Full Version : Bricking a 2x4 xl new this year cant wait

Lukie
11-20-2019, 05:50 AM
Just finished bricking my new Mason 2x4xl I used 40 full and 40 half bricks 20360203572035820359

UB29
11-20-2019, 07:42 AM
Lukie,
You will love the 2x4. Entering year two with my 2x4XL, and had great success with it last year.
One suggestion on your bricking....would be to run a 45 degree chamfer on your top row of bricks along the full perimeter. This will allow more heat to get to the edges of your pan; on the all important outside channels.
Saw a steady 13-14 gph rate; when fueled properly with dry, wrist sized wood. Good luck with your new rig for a great season.
Thanks, Bill

Lukie
11-20-2019, 09:01 AM
I understand what you are saying . Good idea I will try to get my skill saw set up to do that! the bricks are already cemented in thanks

Ghost
01-12-2020, 10:02 PM
I also have a new 2x4XL, 1st boil this evening.

How do I set up a gradient within the pan from sap at the inlet to syrup at the outlet?

Sugarmaker
01-13-2020, 09:52 AM
I also have a new 2x4XL, 1st boil this evening.

How do I set up a gradient within the pan from sap at the inlet to syrup at the outlet?
Keep boiling, as you add new sap at the point farthest from the draw off the more dense syrup near the draw off will begin the gradient in between the two. Just watch that it is not trying to make syrup somewhere other than the draw off point. It can and does happen. If that's the case draw off a little almost syrup to get the syrup to move towards the draw off. And your gradient is now established. About that time you run out of sap and it all blends back together for tomorrow.:)
Clear as cloudy syrup right?
Keep boiling!
Regards,
Chris

Lukie
01-16-2020, 05:41 AM
When I fire my Mason 2X4 XL with blower up for the first time probly late February do I have to turn the blower off every time I open the door to put wood in and when I am using the blower do I keep the ash door closed .
I am sure I will figure this all out when I start but thought some one that has one may have some advise ??

tcross
01-16-2020, 06:54 AM
if you have enough draft, you may not need to turn the fan off. if you don't have enough draft, i'd recommend turning it off. i know on my old arch if i didn't turn the fan off i'd cook my eyebrows.

GramaCindy
01-16-2020, 07:05 AM
Been there done that!:lol:

ecolbeck
01-16-2020, 07:06 AM
I would keep the draft door closed. The idea is force the air from the fan through the grates into the firebox and an open draft door would defeat that purpose.

anchorhd
01-19-2020, 06:41 PM
When I fire my Mason 2X4 XL with blower up for the first time probly late February do I have to turn the blower off every time I open the door to put wood in and when I am using the blower do I keep the ash door closed .
I am sure I will figure this all out when I start but thought some one that has one may have some advise ??

Just make sure the pan is tight to the warming pan, or you will end up with a pan with ash in your syrup.

Ghost
02-03-2020, 07:47 AM
At what point should I empty the pan? End of season or if I won’t boil for a number of days?

Mason 2x4 XL