PDA

View Full Version : Pipe Size Between Pans

snoskier16
11-11-2019, 03:59 PM
I picked up a used Mason 2x3 that had been extended with a additional 2x4 rear pan during the off-season. The previous owner used a siphon system to move sap from one pan to the other, but I'd like to get away from that method and go with a more common approach.

While checking out evaporators during a recent trip to Bascom's it looks like most of the small evaporator pans are using 1" and larger pipe to connect to each other. Would 1" be appropriate for the application or should I go larger? I'd love to use sanitary fittings, but their cost is so much greater than threaded pipe and fittings that I think I'm going that route instead.

maple flats
11-11-2019, 07:36 PM
I'd go 1.25" or 1.5". If you decide to use copper, put a union and a valve in so the flow can be stopped when you need to. That will be a huge improvement over a siphon system. On a siphon method it only takes 1 bubble to shut the siphon down, then you need to suck the air out of the high spot before it will resume working.

DrTimPerkins
11-12-2019, 08:35 AM
I agree with Dave. 1.25-1.5" would be better. Less chance of niter chunks clogging the pipe and stopping the flow.

Although sanitary connections are more expensive, they are far easier to take apart and clean than NPT fittings.

Ed R
11-12-2019, 10:19 AM
I have 3/4 inch copper lines between my pans. The only clogging problem I've had is when it freezes hard and that lets loose pretty quick. If I was to do it again I would go with 1 inch though for peace of mind.

maple flats
11-12-2019, 03:41 PM
Check out Tri-Clover fittings at https://www.brewershardware.com/Sanitary-Fittings/
Their prices are better than most if not all, shipping is fast.

snoskier16
11-12-2019, 04:17 PM
Thank you everyone that shared your knowledge!

Once I checked out the Brewers Hardware prices I went for the 1.5" Tri-Clover fittings. Less than $140 shipped for 1.5" ferrules, elbows, clamps, gaskets, and a ball valve!

Now to find someone locally to weld the ferrules...