PDA

View Full Version : Sugar Crystals In syrup

OCHTO
11-11-2019, 11:29 AM
I have a bottle of syrup I kept in the fridge for a while that has a half inch of crystals in the bottom. IS that the excess sugar because I made it to thick and is the remainder the correct pct. sugar. Or does the cold temp cause sugar to precipitate down even in correct brix syrup. Thanks

Sugarmaker
11-11-2019, 12:51 PM
I would guess that your density is too high. Your not the first and won't be the last. Better to be a little heavy than too light on density. IMO.
Regards,
Chris

Michael Greer
11-11-2019, 05:10 PM
We used to get an occasional crystal as big as a ping-pong ball in a quart jar of syrup. This is almost enough sugar to make another pint, so do the math. Better procedure using the hydrometer and thermometer cleared up that problem and hey! we make more syrup!

jdircksen
12-01-2019, 11:11 AM
Yes I’d say the syrup is too dense, it’s approaching candy. Before I had a hydrometer, my first few bottles had crystals within a week. Since yours took months to form, I’d guess it’s just a little past the correct density.

OCHTO
12-01-2019, 06:04 PM
I'm wondering if only the excess sugar precipitates to the bottom? I scraped some out thinking they would be maple flavor bombs but the crystals had little maple flavor and were as hard as rock. I'd like to know so if I sell a bottle of syrup and the customer keeps it in the fridge long enough to get crystals I can tell them I'm extra generous. Is the remaining syrup still 66 brix? I do strive to make my syrup just right.

There is an angry icon on this thread. What does that mean?

Sugarmaker
12-02-2019, 08:07 AM
Sugar crystals are a bonus and we don't charge extra for them!:) But the reality is that your syrup is over density and your giving the customers extra sweetness. If left to grow, crystals will break the container, might take a year? You just made rock candy. And it will not have much if any maple flavor.
You may need to double check your syrup measuring (density) equipment too.
Regards,
Chris