PDA

View Full Version : Would a small industrial exhaust fan work?

BlueMaple
11-10-2019, 08:26 PM
When I built my sugar shack I never put a steam vent on the roof. The steam was manageable with my homemade arch and open shack( no door and a window in the back). Now I have a wf mason arch and I want a door this season. It gets old being cold that long. :) My solution is to put one of these in the window. Good or bad idea?20337

Ultimatetreehugger
11-10-2019, 08:44 PM
You would be better off installing it at the peak of your roof. Otherwise steam will settle down to the window.

BlueMaple
11-10-2019, 08:46 PM
I can do that!

maple flats
11-11-2019, 07:08 AM
What size is your WF Mason? When you put that vent near the peak, you may be better if the fan on that is either variable speed or multi speed. That way you can adjust as needed depending on the steam you need to move vs. the warmth you want to keep in the shack.

DrTimPerkins
11-11-2019, 07:14 AM
Might work well, at least for a while. Depends upon how much heat and steam it gets. Most of these small fans have a thermal cut-off switch, which shuts it off when it gets too hot. Over time the steam might get to it and short it out, so make it simple to take down and replace. Then again...it might just run for many years.

ChasinSmoke
11-11-2019, 06:25 PM
I'm just a newb but as a carpenter I wouldn't put that in the roof, the peak of one of the gables maybe, but not the roof. Seems like it would be an issue keeping the shack dry the rest of the year, unless you pull it and seal the roof? Again, I'm new to this and on this forum to learn, planning on moving inside this coming Spring - earliest next Spring -latest.
Last two years late nights outside bundled into my carhartts, is indeed getting old fast (as am I) haha

maple flats
11-11-2019, 07:29 PM
I also would not mount it in the roof, put it near the peak in the gable end, or if no gable, find the highest point it could go on a wall.

BlueMaple
11-11-2019, 10:13 PM
I have a 2x3 hobby arch. Variable speed switch is a good idea. And installing it at the top of the gable end is how I understood the recommendation but thank you for clarifying it.

tcross
11-12-2019, 06:04 AM
i think your idea will work fine. i used a regular box fan to evacuate steam in my sugar house for 5 years! only thing i did to help it's longevity was to not start it until the steam had a chance to thaw it out each time. only time i tried to start it before i lit the evaporator it **** out on me cuz it was frozen still.

wobbletop
11-12-2019, 11:37 PM
On a similar idea, I was thinking of putting one (or two) of these in the roof instead of a cupola.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-and-Fans/Fantastic-Vent/FV801250.html

Would that be a better idea than the gable fan? It should be able to be sealed better.

littleTapper
11-13-2019, 08:43 AM
On a similar idea, I was thinking of putting one (or two) of these in the roof instead of a cupola.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-and-Fans/Fantastic-Vent/FV801250.html

Would that be a better idea than the gable fan? It should be able to be sealed better.

No idea how that would hold up in a sugar shack, but our Aliner camper has one of those in it and holy cow does it move air (quietly too).