PDA

View Full Version : Monitoring Systems

TapTapTap
10-28-2019, 07:54 PM
I need to install some type of heat sensor devices in my sugarhouse. The sugarhouse has full-time power and kitchen/RO room area is heated with a propane hotdawg. It failed once last winter and I can't have that happen again. I just recently wired wifi so it now has internet service fed off the house system.

Someone suggested a monitoring system to do this and to provide a base that can be expanded out to monitor the tanks, vacuum systems, etc.

It sounds like a good idea. Does anyone have any experience and recommendations?

Thx

Ken

Tweegs
10-29-2019, 04:30 PM
I don’t know of anything off the shelf.
However, you can build your own monitoring system for less than $20 that will send temp data right to your phone.

Here’s a “How to” video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No6yVCwobC0

The Arduino processors are fairly powerful and dirt cheap.
Literally thousands of You-tube tutorials on these devices.
I use a single Arduino Mega ($12) to control my entire shack:
RO, tank levels, temps, vac, etc.

There is a learning curve with C programming, but this little temperature project is pretty much a copy and paste thing.
Very easy project.

maple flats
10-30-2019, 07:28 AM
You should be able to wire something up to send a signal to your phone. Back in the 80's I grew strawberries on a commercial scale. I set up a low temp t-stat, line volt and wired in a buzzer to sound when temps fell to 38F so it would wake me up to go start the frost protecting irrigation pump.
With today's electronics you can do similar to send a signal by wifi.
Another idea, have you considered an electric heater as back-up? My RO room is heated by a propane wall furnace, set at 41F, if it fails I have an electric heater set to run at 38F.
While you might be in a pinch if the grid goes down, I have a solar set up, with battery back up and the only thing on it is that electric heater. The battery bank can run that heater for over 2 days, and I have a generator to recharge the battery bank if necessary.

Cjadamec
10-30-2019, 01:32 PM
This is a little out of the box kind of application but since you have internet access and power in the shack you can get a personal weather station that will report it's data to the internet. That's if just remote monitoring is what you are looking for.

I've had this setup at my house for over 4 years now and it works great. I use an outdoor sensor to monitor the temperature of my pool. Its very convenient and has a simple to use app for iPhone and android.

https://www.acurite.com/access-my-acurite-remote-monitoring.html

mountainvan
10-30-2019, 04:14 PM
I take one of my security cameras, dlink, and point it at the thermometer on my ro readout. I can check what is going on remotely from anywhere in the USA.

TapTapTap
10-30-2019, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to check out the homemade system.
Ken

wiam
10-31-2019, 03:08 PM
Been really happy with these. I have one pointed at my RO. Can read flows and temp. You can turn camera from your phone to look at tanks or whatever. I also have one at my woods with a hotspot to monitor tanks and releaser.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-720P-HD-Wifi-IP-Camera-Baby-Pet-Monitor-CAM-Pan-Remote-Home-Security/173401585727?pageci=79f80dfd-d9ec-4e5c-8e3f-fbeb39e10696&epid=28021278662