PDA

View Full Version : What gives? Syrup waaay over density freezes

Bruce L
10-27-2019, 08:42 AM
Had some trouble on the start of the year with the automatic draw off,some of the Golden syrup came off way over density,like 70.2 when tested. Lots of crystallization in the bottles,so figured I would just make some really light coloured sugar out of it. Pulled it out of the freezer today to make sugar for a show next weekend,frozen solid!!! Upon thawing there’s probably 1” of sugar on the bottom of the 4 litre bottles,and a good 1/2” thickness all up the sides,all good sized sugar crystals like rough cut diamonds. Curious as to how sugar this dense could freeze solid,rest of the syrup in freezer at correct density is fine

fred
10-27-2019, 10:03 AM
its not frozen . the crystallizing just continued to the point the liquid left balanced out. dump it in a bowl add hot distilled water to the container, when dissolved put all together, then boil till proper density or continue until sugar temp

Bricklayer
10-27-2019, 05:02 PM
I had almost exact same thing happen with 2 of my 10 litre plastic bulk jugs this year. It was the last batch of the year and I might of gone a bit over with it.
I brought what I could get out of the jugs to almost boiling. Then poured it back into the plastic jugs. Put cap on and let it dissolve and shook it. I then reboiled it and brought it to proper density. Turned out perfect.