PDA

View Full Version : tying tanks together

PATheron
11-19-2007, 04:05 AM
Guys- I have 4 bulktanks I want to tie together for my bush to run into. Im going to have my releaser mounted over the biggest one. I have them mounted so they will run gravity to my evaperator. What I was thinking was mount them so the tops are all the same heigth. Use rubber fittings to go to 1.5 or 2" pvc. and tie them together. I was thinking put a valve at each tank and a drain t and then another valve so I could isolate and clean tanks while sap is in others. Also put a drain on the line to the evap to keep from freezing and to clean. My concern is the first valve at the tanks freezing. Should that one be a metal valve? One big tank would have been better maybe but I got good deals on these ones and I like the idea of multiple tanks to keep aged sap seperate. If you guys have some ideas lay them on me . Theron

mountainvan
11-19-2007, 08:17 AM
I have 300 gal stock tanks tied together with the braided vinyl tubing. Stainless fittings in the drainvalves. Do not use pvc for the job!! I take it you mean the white pipe you glue together. If sap freezes in it, it will break and if you don't see it you will lose sap. I speak from experience! Any valves or fittings you use make them metal. If the line to the evaporator has some ice you can take a torch to the valve and melt the ice. Good luck.

PATheron
11-19-2007, 04:53 PM
Mountainvan- Whats that braided vinal tubing? Not sure I know what you mean. Your thinking use metal valves and use all braided tubing to tie the tanks and to run into house? Theron

mountainvan
11-19-2007, 07:31 PM
Braided tubing to me is the clear vinyl with the reenforcing strips in it. I think it's called beverage tubing also. Depending on how for it is from the tanks to the house, I would use the black poly pipe for a long line or clear vinyl for a short one. My back tank is only six feet from my rig so I have clear pipe so I can easily see the sap coming in. I would use the metal valves for all the sap storage tanks. Better to pay a little more up front than loose hundreds of gallons of sap.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-21-2007, 12:34 PM
US Plastics is a good source for most types of vinyl tubing!