PDA

View Full Version : steam hood pics

canaanmaple
10-22-2019, 09:42 AM
I'm hopin to get a stainless steam hood made by a local tinner, and interested in seeing pics of the underside of commercial made steam hoods. Do they all have drip pans below the stack collar to prevent the condensation in the stack from dripping back in the pan? I am assuming if they did it would be right under the collar at the top of the hood because most have access doors to see the boil. Any pics or details would be appreciated since I just need to submit a drawing/plans. (i know all the other dimensions and drip edge details, etc)

thanks!

Mead Maple
10-23-2019, 04:16 AM
This is a great topic Canaan. I just picked up a sheet metal break myself and plan to build a good for my rig once I get it out together. Some pics of hoods that people have put together would be fantastic. If possible, showing the under side would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

canaanmaple
10-23-2019, 07:29 AM
This is a great topic Canaan. I just picked up a sheet metal break myself and plan to build a good for my rig once I get it out together. Some pics of hoods that people have put together would be fantastic. If possible, showing the under side would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah there is a number of threads here, some with drawings, but not with a drip tray or anything. Here is a nice design using flashing.
http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?31822-Fabricating-my-steam-hood

Curious if commercial evaporator steam hoods with site doors even have drip trays for condensation from the stack though, and how they work

maple flats
10-23-2019, 09:11 AM
My homemade hoods utilized a drip tray under the stack that also held a pre-heater. My current one is a commercially made hood, it has a very wide, rather shallow funnel which is suspended from the stack. My stacks are 15" on both the flue pan and the syrup pan hoods and those funnels are about 19" OD. They are maybe 3" tall and an elbow exits the bottom of each. From there each has a channel hung from the elbow that carries the condensate to the nearest drain gutter in the hood. When my evaporator is at full boil those funnels catch a solid stream of condensation continually, with the flue pan hood flowing far faster than the syrup pan one.