PDA

View Full Version : Deer run ro

Kh7722
10-18-2019, 10:38 AM
Ordered a deer run 500 ro from ray today. Got the gas powered version since i dont have the power supply figured out for the new sugarhouse yet. Super excited to not boil raw sap on the oil evaporator.
And body out there have this size? And if you do, how is the performance on it
Thanks
Kevin

fred
10-18-2019, 11:17 AM
lots traded in over the years. under performs dollar per gallon. most complaints is lower gph than expected and lower sugar output. but it serves the purposea nd faster than raw

Kh7722
10-18-2019, 11:27 AM
Ya it will get me started for a year or two, untill i can afford a big one like a real sugarmaker lol
Plus i plan on using off site at another woods that is remote without power, so i can sweet and then run through another pass with future purchase ro.

johnallin
10-18-2019, 01:05 PM
How’s the new sugar house coming along Kevin?

Bet you’re all excited to get in there and start cooking.

You gonna call your dad and uncle Mark out of retirement to help?

Fred’s probably got a Leader Clear press he can show you...
He really likes those babies. grin

Kh7722
10-18-2019, 01:48 PM
Hey john,
Sugarhouse is just about done, working on windows and doors now. Evaporator and tanks coming in about 2-3 weeks.....hopefully.

Dad has helped some with the work, he still knows how to do it 😆.

As far as those clear presses go..........

How’s the new sugar house coming along Kevin?

Bet you’re all excited to get in there and start cooking.

You gonna call your dad and uncle Mark out of retirement to help?

Fred’s probably got a Leader Clear press he can show you...
He really likes those babies. grin

Ultimatetreehugger
10-18-2019, 02:47 PM
I have never used or seen a clear press so please fill me in. My curiosity is peaked. lol

maple flats
10-18-2019, 06:14 PM
For a basic RO I think they work well. I only have a 250 which started as a gas unit, but I later got electric in the sugaqrhouse so I converted it to electric. I can take 2% sap to 7-8% concentrate fine. I then run it thru recirculating from the head tank and back into the head tank. The best I routinely get is to 12% sugar. That second pass removes less permeate than the first pass.
To use it I run at 275 PSI on the first pass, on the second pass I run at 240-250 psi. The pressure will gradually climb and I turn it back to those settings. I have goon higher a few times, but I didn't like that. One time I was recirculating while I was doing other things around the sugarhouse and it shut down on high pressure after having turned it back a few times. That time I had 18% concentrate, but I had to run a cold permeate rinse before I could RO any more sap, the membranes were fouled. My unit has 2 membranes at 4" x 40", yours likely will be Ray's newer version with 1 membrane at 8" x40".
If you would like a copy of my reprint of Ray's hand written manual send me an email requesting the manual to dave@cnymaple.com
I have been using this mine since 2012. Just clean the membranes properly and it will serve you well.
I do not depend on the feed pump on mine, I get better performance using a SS 1 hp electric pump. The electric pump feeds the feed pump on the RO, that works best for me.

mol1jb
10-19-2019, 09:20 AM
I think you will be quite happy with it. Great unit for the price.

heus
10-19-2019, 09:26 AM
I had one of Ray's electric 375 units as my first ro. It worked fantastic. I was happy with it.

fred
10-19-2019, 04:31 PM
as far as those clear presses go..........

some of the most beautiful words ive heard today. "biggest grin"

lewichuk19
10-29-2019, 09:49 PM
Does ‘deer run’ have a website to go look at different RO’s and pricing??...I googled it but can’t seem to find anything.

MISugarDaddy
10-30-2019, 05:39 AM
Ray does not have a website for his Deer Run ROs. We have had a gas-powered 250 for six years and wouldn't want to make syrup without it. You have to give him a call and he can send you a flyer that he has produced showing the different ROs he makes or just discuss it with him when you call.

Gary

MISugarDaddy
10-30-2019, 05:46 AM
"Deer Run does not have a website, you have to call Ray Gingerich direct. If he doesn't answer the phone, just leave a message and he will call you back. You need to understand that he is Amish so he doesn't use the internet. His number is 440-422-3047. We have one of his gas-powered 250 models and wouldn't want to do syrup without it. Great machine for the money.
Gary

lewichuk19
10-30-2019, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the info Gary. Are his prices a bit lower then what the big companies are??...only our 3rd year doing syrup and looking to add an RO in. But the big companies don’t really give away their units..lol

ALSMAPLE
10-30-2019, 11:45 AM
I have a deer run electric 500 been using it for 2 years.I had a 250 before this one.His prices are much better than the big companies.The machines are bare bones but they do a good job and he has great customer service.

palmer4th
03-18-2020, 10:27 AM
what are his prices?

maple flats
03-18-2020, 11:04 AM
I don't know his current prices but you should be able to reach him by phone. I spoke with him yesterday and he said he thought they were boiling the last of his season yesterday. His number is: 1-440-422-3047 and his sugarhouse is 1-440-381-3916, he might be finishing clean-up.

maple flats
03-18-2020, 11:15 AM
Back when I bought my 250 9 yrs ago I paid $3200 with high pressure and low pressure shut offs, they were options. Later he made them standard. One of the things I like about Ray is that if you need an item and you can get it from another source at a good price he will refer to to them, on items he can give you a better price or items not readily available from others he sends out promptly.
Ray has no website, he is Amish. Luckily he has a phone and an answering machine and he does call back.

mol1jb
03-18-2020, 12:25 PM
2 years ago I bought his 125 dolly hobby RO and it was around $1650 if I remember it right.