PDA

View Full Version : 2 syrup pans vs 3 syrup pans

tonka
10-15-2019, 11:44 AM
On some of the bigger evaporators some have 2 syrup pans and some have 3 syrup pans, besides being just a preference, is there any added benefits of having 3 syrup pans vs 2? besides the gain in heated space. Thanks!!

DrTimPerkins
10-15-2019, 02:33 PM
Less plumbing needed with fewer pans, but the weight of each pan increases with larger pans. Easier to swap out the pan closest to the drawoff to deal with niter with a smaller pan. Cheaper and easier to have one spare pan if you happen to burn one up or need to soak it for really built-up niter. A little more $ for more small pans than a fewer # of bigger pans.

tonka
10-16-2019, 12:20 PM
So what it all boils down to, it's more for easiness of handelinh vs performance of the evaporator as in quality of syrup when it gets drawn of, the amount of syrup being drawn off at a time, or just getting a few more gallons of water cooked off. Thanks for the response Dr. Tim!

maple flats
10-16-2019, 12:33 PM
If the total area of the syrup pan area is the same using 2 vs 3 pans the will be little if any difference in the boil rate.
On my 3x8 I only have 1 syrup pan (3x3'), I also have a spare 3x3 if needed, I can swap pans and resume boiling while I clean the first pan. If I were doing it again, I'd have 2 pans, 1.5'x3' and a spare, just lighter to change.

DrTimPerkins
10-16-2019, 02:56 PM
If I were doing it again, I'd have 2 pans, 1.5'x3' and a spare, just lighter to change.

And maybe less need to clean quite as much. Typically with a multiple front-pan setup you would remove the front-most front-pan, slide the rear front-pan forward, then put the new pan in the rear. Very fast and easy to do.

That is one of the advantages of the Canadian/Cross-flow style of pan compared to the American/Reverse-flow style pans. Of course now there are all sorts of hybrids and modified style pans that'll do both.

maple flats
10-16-2019, 03:03 PM
Mine is the Canadian style cross flow, reversable, same side draw.