PDA

View Full Version : Number of taps related to size of pan.....??

Checker1965
10-14-2019, 04:41 PM
I’m curious if there is a general rule for the size of a boiling pan needed related to the number of taps that you have. I am working on a fuel oil tank for my evaporator, and I haven’t decided how big of a pan I should get. I will have about 25 taps this next spring and I would have to drive about 2-3 miles if I want more, so I am content with what I have for a couple years....
Going to build the evaporator so I can always expand if needed.

What size pan would you recommend I get for 25 taps?

Thank you.

Mead Maple
10-14-2019, 07:35 PM
Checker, I built an oil tank evaporator this last winter. A 2x4 flat divided fit perfectly on it. For efficiency and availability I would do that. You are not saving anything going smaller really as far as price goes. Get something that is continuous flow. I really enjoyed it especially as I started to see gradient in the pans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Checker1965
10-14-2019, 08:50 PM
Thank you Paul. So a 2x4 pan size is fine for 25 taps. I was afraid that having so few taps, a bigger pan would be overkill. I will setup for that then!!
Thanks again!

Mead Maple
10-16-2019, 08:27 AM
No I don’t think. Depending what you can design for an arch I think about max on a 2x4 will be between 10-15 gallons on a flat pan. I maxed out on the 2x4 dividend continuous flow from light up to dead fire at 13gph evaporation rate. Probably in the middle of boiling would be higher. If memory serves me, but do not quote me, I was around 4 gallons or so to fill the pan. But I can’t remember specifically how much it was. But once the sap starts running 25 taps is more than enough to keep you busy

mol1jb
10-16-2019, 12:25 PM
Another place to look is any dealer catalog. They usually have #tap recommendations per arch and pans.

Mead Maple
10-16-2019, 02:06 PM
Another place to look is any dealer catalog. They usually have #tap recommendations per arch and pans.

Yup good call. Although I think those numbers are a bit skewed but it is certainly an approximate number that would be safe to use as a guideline. Great recommendation though!