PDA

View Full Version : Burning treated wood

djblech
10-13-2019, 10:52 AM
I have access to a lot of treated wood scraps from deck jobs this past summer. I am wondering if burning them could hurt my pans or if it won't make a difference.

maple flats
10-13-2019, 11:27 AM
Not sure about your pans but it is not good to burn treated wood, very nasty emissions. In fact I think it is considered hazardous waste.

Pdiamond
10-13-2019, 02:18 PM
Burning pressure treated wood is not advised anywhere. It contains many compounds that can be inhaled that are toxic, copper based compounds, arsenic, chromium, etc... After doing some research it was suggested to use up as many scraps for building projects as possible. It does not appear that it is acceptable to be placed into landfills according to information obtained from the manufacturers labels.

DrTimPerkins
10-14-2019, 08:17 AM
I would avoid it. We once had a sugarmaker bring us pans that was riddled with pinholes. Although the pans were only a few years old, he had burned PT wood and tubing in the arch, creating some really nasty acids that ate right through the pan in just a couple of seasons. He was a rather unhappy fellow when we (and the equipment company) both told him he essentially had destroyed his pans.

Zucker Lager
10-14-2019, 11:48 AM
Someone we knew did decks and brought home all his scrap burning it in his woodstove in the house. Eventually him and his family all ended up in the hospital. They traced their health problems back to burning that PT wood. Jay

ennismaple
10-15-2019, 01:16 PM
Don't do it. I won't even burn it in a campfire due to the toxic smoke.