PDA

View Full Version : CDL 3/16 tubing kinking with double barb tee?

VTNewbie
10-11-2019, 02:49 PM
New to 3/16 tubing, putting in 100 taps this year with 25 taps on 4 ~900 foot lines.

I have a maple tech 2 handed 3/16 tool I am using to make drops and cut tees into main line. The 2 barb tees are very tight and rediculously strong once installed which I like (tubing will stretch/break before it comes of fitting). The problem im having is sometimes the tubing will not want to fully go over the second barb. If I try to force it over the second barb it will kink and the tubing will be partially blocked. I'm mostly worried because when i go to cut in tee to the line I don't want kinks or have to keep throwing out drops.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Do I need to fully go over the second barb? (impossible to pull line off first barb)

buckeye gold
10-11-2019, 03:44 PM
Your fine with it not totally set I'd think. However, I like to see them fully seated. Try working them in warmer weather. It won't hurt anything to put them on in the fall and stick the spile on the tee stem until spring. If you don't have any luck that way some hot water in a thermos will soften the ends.

fred
10-11-2019, 05:16 PM
First make sure the fitting is 3/16 and not 5/16. Second check the alignment when putting together, maple tech has decent tools could have been welded just a little off? The line will be snug but in no way should it kink .

n8hutch
10-11-2019, 07:32 PM
Some times it is really critical how much tubing is out beyond the clamps of the tubing tool, too much or too little and the alignment/geometry can be off and it makes it hard to put fittings in correctly.

Super Sapper
10-12-2019, 04:49 AM
Make sure it is a second barb and not a stop. I will have to look again but I think the second one is not a barb.

raptorfan85
10-12-2019, 09:36 AM
Some times it is really critical how much tubing is out beyond the clamps of the tubing tool, too much or too little and the alignment/geometry can be off and it makes it hard to put fittings in correctly.

100 percent this. I found this out pretty quickly when I started 3/16 tubing. Make sure there's not a lot hanging over past the end of the clamp. My tool has a recessed area that goes into the clamp to support the tubing while pressing the fitting in.

WVKeith
10-12-2019, 10:58 AM
I agree that the amount of tubing stinking out past the clamp is critical. However, I have also found that different runs of tubing can have slightly smaller inner diameters and be very tight. In these cases, I have found that a little water on the T can help lubricate along with warmer temps

DrTimPerkins
10-14-2019, 08:27 AM
Tubing size and fitting size is a big factor. Some manufacturers make fittings with bigger barbs for a tighter fit, and the inner diameter of tubing can vary a good deal from company to company and even from run to run from one company. And yes, the 2nd bump might be a stop and not a barb. Paying attention to tubing placement on the tool helps, as does a little water on the tubing if needed.

VTNewbie
10-16-2019, 08:22 PM
Thanks for all the responses. My cdl 3/16 fittings definitely have a second barb, then there is a stop after that. I will definitely try the water idea and see if that helps. I've been going slowly and making sure it to let the tubing stick out as little as possible out of the clamp (has a recessed area so doesn't need to stick out far). I also make sure it is almost perfectly lined up before clamping.

For some reason I have a much harder time when making drops vs putting the t into the 3/16 mainline. Probably because of alignment.

The tubing is super tight, maybe it was an slightly smaller diameter build than usual.

Lukie
10-17-2019, 05:13 AM
Try going to your local dealer with fittings and tool and line and they probable can give you some advice I did line this year for the first time and it was a challenge but Bacon farms in Sidney Maine help me out good luck.

DrTimPerkins
10-17-2019, 07:20 AM
For some reason I have a much harder time when making drops vs putting the t into the 3/16 mainline.

To help with terminology, the 3/16" "mainline" you refer to is actually the "lateral line".

Progression is: spout to dropline to tee into lateral line though saddle into mainline (if mainline is being used).

VTNewbie
01-05-2020, 09:06 AM
Just an update in case anyone is having trouble getting cdl 3/16 tubing fittings to go in. Using a little bit of water to wet the T barb fitting worked very well with 2 handed tool! It was almost impossible to get the T barb on when it was dry and now I am putting my drops together with almost no difficulty.

Thanks for the help everyone

- side note, I highly recommend cdl 3/16 barb/tubing. Had a few trees drop lines right to the ground during recent strong wind storm and everything stayed together perfectly.