PDA

View Full Version : Sapsaks

sapman
11-17-2007, 05:23 PM
Anybody have any experience using sapsaks? I understand they are pretty common in Wisconsin? I've noticed adds for them, and I love the idea of a disposable bag and not having to clean them. But what are the cons: small, susceptible to wind damage?

Thanks,
Tim

royalmaple
11-17-2007, 06:23 PM
I use them and like them alot.

They are much more compact in the off season. They stay on the taps well. And they hold nearly 5 gallons per bag when full and the friction fit really locks them in.

I have had some tree rats chew the bottom corner of them and that is alwasy nice to find an empty bag with a hole in the corner.

Try some I think you'll like them. No washing at the end of the season either.

I got my bags from andersons, I think it was like 50 bucks for 250.

I've also got my own holder system that is super secret, but if you put your mind to it you'll figure out you can do it fairly easy for next to nothing.

RileySugarbush
11-17-2007, 07:57 PM
We use them too. Disposable is nice. The holders are small enough we can wash and store them in our collection tubs. We have had the corners chewed occasionally and when they are empty a high wind can blow them off the spile. We buy them from Sugarbush Supplies in Michigan.

maplehound
11-18-2007, 07:44 PM
I used the king sap bags for a while. I loved them. Only draw back was they often craked along the seams if you let the sap freeze in them.

sapman
11-18-2007, 08:45 PM
I also used a couple hundred King sapbags for a few years. So many sprung leaks from ice and wind that I went to all buckets. Not that I don't lose several buckets each year to ice damage, either.

So how do the sap saks hold up to the ice and wind?

Tim