PDA

View Full Version : Hand guns in the bush

western mainer
10-05-2019, 02:17 PM
Do any of you carry a hand gun in the bush for protection? (wild dogs rabid animals) If so what is a good one to have?
Thanks Brian

Mead Maple
10-05-2019, 02:47 PM
I carry 24/7 unless I have to go to a school, federal building, or somewhere else that doesn’t allow it. But that’s concealed carry.

When I’m out in the woods for anything I usually have a full size sidearm. For me it’s principal. I have a lot of good honest hardworking friends that their state doesn’t allow “constitutional carry.” In originally from Maine and now am able to carry from VT right up through to Maine. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mead Maple
10-05-2019, 02:48 PM
And just realized there was more to the question. I’d bring what you’re comfortable working with and shooting. A full size is nice for shooting but more cumbersome to carry. A concealed carry gun is better to carry but not as comfortable to shoot.

TonyL
10-05-2019, 03:42 PM
I don’t take a firearm into my woods unless I’m hunting. Never saw the need.
Now a brush cutter, axe, or machete? That is another story.

Galena
10-05-2019, 04:44 PM
*preparing to dodge bullets* I guess it depends where you live both in terms of country and how dense a bush you're getting into.

Up here in Canada, carrying guns around is basically only done by law enforcement, hunters and recreational shooters. You have to be pretty **** careful if you're a gun owner. Only time I've ever seen someone haul a handgun into the bush, they were on their own property shooting on their own little redneck range.

fred
10-05-2019, 05:36 PM
i always carry. semi auto .45 or 38 revolver with impact tips. we have large populations here, you never know when youll run into someone on drugs or growing them.

also black bears and coyotes, never know when one will turn on you especially with babies on them.

raptorfan85
10-05-2019, 06:02 PM
I always do when I'm out in the woods. Never know who or what you might run into. My side arm in the woods is a Ruger gp100 .357. enough stopping power if a bear decides to get frisky and easy enough to shoot.

amasonry
10-06-2019, 05:13 AM
a couple of years ago I had a coyote follow me around while tapping. this happened two days that year. he just stand a there and watch me go from tap to tap .so now I carry 45 with me. but he never got closer than 300 feet. now he has two more in his pack and I never see them any more. I think now he just needed a friend.

buckeye gold
10-06-2019, 07:20 AM
I never carry in the woods unless I am hunting. I realize each area is different, but I find it hard to imagine needing a firearm for protection in a sugar bush. I guess if your in an urban area I could imagine it, but in rural USA not really. The only bears in sugar producing states are black and they rarely ever attack. Coyotes almost never attack humans and 99.9% of all animals keep their distance from humans. Humans are the biggest threat and that is low in a sugar bush. I doubt there are many if any records of people being attacked while working a sugar bush. If it makes you feel safe then I say carry whatever you want, but for me I see no need to add anymore weight to what I am already packing. I have hunted and hiked all over the US and the only place I ever felt I should be cognoscente of animal threads was in the western mountains with grizzlys and lions.

maple flats
10-06-2019, 07:58 AM
I only carry when a black bear or coyote has been seen in the area recently. Buckeye, you might want to check the statistics, the last I heard there are more black bear attacks than grizzlies and brown bears annually, especially when you come onto them by surprise or sows with cubs and during breeding season. Make lots of noise and you will rarely see a bear.

western mainer
10-06-2019, 03:50 PM
Around here there has been a lot of deer kill.They say there are no mt. lions around here but the cat tracks are very large. The dog are calling all night. I just wanted to know what you all was doing.
Thanks Brian

buckeye gold
10-06-2019, 04:43 PM
We have very few bears around me so it's not a concern. I just offered an opinion, if carrying eases your mind then I say carry. It's a freedom I hope we have for a long time. I really never heard any stats, so you made me curious Maple Flats....here's what I found.

I found this info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

Minnesota wildlife biologist Andy Tri says a predatory attack by a black bear is "beyond extremely rare."

On average, a fatal attack by a black bear happens about once a year in all of North America, said Dave Garshelis, a bear research scientist with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. Fatal attacks by the more aggressive grizzly bear, which has a narrower range than the black bear, happen about twice a year in North America, Garshelis said.

Black bears tend to be timid around people, Garshelis said. "They're very unaggressive bears," he said. "If you ever approach a black bear closely, typically they'll see you and run off."

highlandcattle
10-06-2019, 05:15 PM
I would only have a gun on me to stop a crazy human. Over the years on our farm we had at least one guy get lost in the back swamp during a heavy snowstorm. He followed our logging road to our place. That was rather scary. Another time had distant neighbors tell me they always hunted our land. Wouldn't shoot my horses. How kind. Said I had no problems shooting them. The end. Another time a guy was running his radio collared dogs. Wanted to shoot coyotes on our property. Told him to wait right there while I got my gun. He thought Iwas joking. Nope. Told him to get out before I really lost my temper. Nothing like doing chores and finding people wandering in your front yard. "Just wanted to see what was up this road". Me ,with my friend...my gun. Goodbye. NEVER had trouble with coyotes. Got some great pics though. Black bear?. Been close enough to smell them. Surprised a cub in the bush once in Wisconsin. We both screamed and ran in different directions. Had a real big black bear get it's claws caught in the screen door to our log cabin at this same location. ( grandma's islabd) We left bowls of leftover food out each night for whatever was passing by. That night it was a bear. He wrecked the door pulling his claws out. Grandma said"great,now I have to send a boat for the handyman". I have no fear of animals. Just the human variety...just some thoughts. ( I'm Ron's wife and I'm a senior. A healthy animal will fear humans or be a bit curious. Don't be so quick to want to shoot them. Remember they have the right to the habitat too.

Zucker Lager
10-06-2019, 05:15 PM
We see black bears often here, mostly young dumb ones about 2 year old's that don't know any better. But there is a large sow that always seems to have twins and likes to teach them how to find food around our house. She bluff charged me once after I surprised her and her cubs they went up a tree I was too close and she came at me I really don't know if the pistol shot into the ground in front of her stopped her or not but I would hate to have had to try to fight off a 300 pound bear by hand. I carry in our woods for just that reason. 1911 filled with hard ball...............old school I guess Jay

Galena
10-06-2019, 08:29 PM
I would only have a gun on me to stop a crazy human. Over the years on our farm we had at least one guy get lost in the back swamp during a heavy snowstorm. He followed our logging road to our place. That was rather scary. Another time had distant neighbors tell me they always hunted our land. Wouldn't shoot my horses. How kind. Said I had no problems shooting them. The end. Another time a guy was running his radio collared dogs. Wanted to shoot coyotes on our property. Told him to wait right there while I got my gun. He thought Iwas joking. Nope. Told him to get out before I really lost my temper. Nothing like doing chores and finding people wandering in your front yard. "Just wanted to see what was up this road". Me ,with my friend...my gun. Goodbye. NEVER had trouble with coyotes. Got some great pics though. Black bear?. Been close enough to smell them. Surprised a cub in the bush once in Wisconsin. We both screamed and ran in different directions. Had a real big black bear get it's claws caught in the screen door to our log cabin at this same location. ( grandma's islabd) We left bowls of leftover food out each night for whatever was passing by. That night it was a bear. He wrecked the door pulling his claws out. Grandma said"great,now I have to send a boat for the handyman". I have no fear of animals. Just the human variety...just some thoughts. ( I'm Ron's wife and I'm a senior. A healthy animal will fear humans or be a bit curious. Don't be so quick to want to shoot them. Remember they have the right to the habitat too.

Maybe a few No Trespassing or Private Property/No Hunting signs are needed to help keep the stupid two-legged critters out...but I am all for letting the bears, coyotes etc go about in peace.

VT_K9
10-06-2019, 09:48 PM
I have a fair amount of experience carrying firearms. I think you have two directions as far as handguns go...smaller concealable or mid-sized great for open carry (can be concealed with the right holster) and range time. Next look at actions which may be suitable for your type of carry and that are likely going to be revolver or semiautomatic. If a revolver I would would recommend a 357 mag (or 44 mag if you think you need something with more energy). If you go semiautomatic I would look at 9mm. In todays world of ammunition you need to do your job first (putting the rounds where they count), it is important. Read up on bear attacks and you'll see the 9mm has quite a reputation...likely falls back to the gun you carry...plus it is inexpensive to practice with, and with todays ammunition quality a formidable round.

As far as the first prong..a gun you have with you will be a gun you'll use. This goes for in the woods or on the pavement. I like to say both sizes (small and mid-sized) would be appropriate to own and choose which fits your day. The mid size can be carried with ease and sometimes concealed decently. There are the Sig, M&P, Glock, FN, etc with a 3.5-4" barrel. They are fun at the range and easy to carry. The full sized guns are fun at the range, better sight picture, but are not as concealable. The smaller guns are now easily found in 9mm and the are made by the same company. Check out Sig P365, Glock 43, M&P Shield, and new Springfield Armory Hellcat.

Stop by a few dealers to get a chance to hold different models. Find their respective groups on facebook and follow them for a bit. Check out holsters which suit your style of carry or activity...you'll end up with a small selection in now time at all.

I use a Sig P320 Carry on duty for my job, a Sig P365 backup and off duty. I also have a compact frame for the P320 (it is modular system) if I wanted a shorter gun for training classes. I have carried a S&W M&P340 snub nose in 357 mag. I have carried other Sigs, Glocks, and a few 1911s (my favorite for my fit).

The final rule is a handgun is not the best choice for defense, it is a reasonable option because it is easy to carry...your mind is the best followed by a rifle and then a handgun. Find a name brand and practice.

Mike

Chickenman
10-07-2019, 05:28 AM
Mines like American Express.....don't leave home without it.

maple flats
10-07-2019, 07:35 AM
Read this. Admittedly rare but attacks happen. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America#2000s
Those are just the fatalities, several more are mauled and some are crippled for life.

buckeye gold
10-07-2019, 09:25 AM
I really have nothing more to add and was only trying to make conversation and share another perspective during a slow time. I concede there is some danger from animals or even people in the woods. As for me I'll take my chances in the woods. It's far safer in the sugar bush than on the highway. 300 million people in the Us and a hand full killed or mauled by wild animals are pretty good odds. By all means carry if you feel the need and it gives you peace. I had no intentions to argue or say anyone was wrong.....just making conversation. Sorry Maple flats I was never calling you out on your stats, I guess I typed without thinking. I believe you.

ennismaple
10-07-2019, 12:02 PM
Of the thousands and thousands of hours I've spent working and hunting in our woods the only bears I've seen at under 30 yards were when I was in full camo hunting ducks and turkey. Both times the bear took off very quickly when it knew I was there. I've never seen a bear or coyote when actively working on tubing or with the chainsaw - they hear me and stay clear.

I will throw the shotgun in the truck at this time of year in case I see a bush chicken and if working during deer season the rifle will be in the truck just in case I can fill a tag. I have no concerns about 2-legged critters on our property.

tcross
10-07-2019, 02:00 PM
i see zero reason to carry a gun in the woods working on maple where i live, but have at it! i could see if i lived in wolf territory, but even then... As far as bear attacking, i'be been charged by a momma bear when brook trout fishing a few years ago. her cubs were in between us in a tree. not a good situation to be in with a mom of any sorts! my wife and i have stood on a bear den (unknowingly) and had him come out to see what was up. out comes a 300lb black bear. he got fully out of his den before any of us could realize what was happening. stood face to face with us for about 2 seconds and took off like a bolt of lightening! that was pretty awesome! they are scared of you, as you are them, but they are also very curious creatures! to each their own! carry if you want, don't if you want. i don't think anyone needs to get offended by it!

maple flats
10-08-2019, 07:29 AM
While I rarely carry in my bush, except when deer hunting, for those who don't carry, just remember, if you do encounter a bear, do not run (or in my case, try to run). You should stand tall and make loud noises, it will likely run the other way.

Stanbridge
10-08-2019, 06:41 PM
Haven't you all heard of pepper spray???

Galena
10-08-2019, 07:23 PM
Haven't you all heard of pepper spray??? My thoughts exactly. But I guess people just want to feel really secure.

Chickenman
10-09-2019, 08:07 AM
It's a good option except when the wind blows back into YOUR face.

Galena
10-09-2019, 08:06 PM
It's a good option except when the wind blows back into YOUR face.

Yeah lol that happened to me once when I sprayed at a dog that was chasing me when I was on my bike (as in the kind you actually have to use your legs to get moving, not a motorcycle).....got some blowback but you know what? I recovered pretty quick and am still alive.

Meanwhile, rotsa ruck surviving an accidental discharge, from say a simple misstep or tripping over a root or a rock, where you lose (depending on your carry pref) half of yer butt/genitals/femoral artery/ankle....and so long as you don't encounter another handgun-toting human with a happy trigger finger who shoots first and asks questions later....Yah you'll be fine ;-)

buckeye gold
10-10-2019, 07:05 AM
and so long as you don't encounter another handgun-toting human with a happy trigger finger who shoots first and asks questions later....Yah you'll be fine ;-)

For those who think that things like this don't happen.....well I can personally tell you they do! In 2009, while hunting myself, I took a broadhead through the left thigh from another hunter in an accidental shooting. Yup my sugaring, hunting and most of all my life almost came to an end that October day. So please be careful whatever you do. It's a horrible experience for all.

Galena
10-10-2019, 03:08 PM
For those who think that things like this don't happen.....well I can personally tell you they do! In 2009, while hunting myself, I took a broadhead through the left thigh from another hunter in an accidental shooting. Yup my sugaring, hunting and most of all my life almost came to an end that October day. So please be careful whatever you do. It's a horrible experience for all.

Jeez that's pretty scary. And you were probably had some blaze orange on too, eh?

Another option I thought of that I think would do an awesome job (though it might deafen you a little) would be an airhorn. Legal everywhere, don't need a license, relatively safe top use, and
loud af.

DrTimPerkins
10-11-2019, 08:09 AM
We see deer, bear, moose and other critters in the woods on UVM property pretty regularly (we abut a state forest with a lot of forestland). Often they're walking down our driveway. When they spot us -- they usually head in the opposite direction quickly. Grew up with bears all around my parents house (lots of apples and chokecherry bushes in the fields). Seen plenty of them in the woods. They always go away fairly briskly and I've never felt the need to carry. I suppose if you happened to get between a sow and cubs you might have a different experience. Nephew shot a 404 lb bear a few years ago -- it has taken up residence at the edge of a corn field and was full of corn when they gutted it out. The meat is OK if cooked properly. Historically it was a fairly common staple of Native Americans in the northeast, especially in the winter when they were denned up.

What often startles me in the woods is turkey. They weren't common when I grew up, so having a bird that size suddenly pop its head up in the woods always catches me by surprise. About the only time we have need for a firearm in the woods is for porcupines, but they move around slowly enough so it is not a problem to go back to the building and get a gun to dispatch them.

buckeye gold
10-11-2019, 09:54 AM
What often startles me in the woods is turkey.

If this ever becomes a problem or threat to your health, I'd make the sacrifice and come dispatch the offenders for you :lol:

DrTimPerkins
10-11-2019, 11:57 AM
If this ever becomes a problem or threat to your health, I'd make the sacrifice and come dispatch the offenders for you :lol:

Thanks. :D It is kind of funny how startling they can be.

calvertbrothers
10-11-2019, 08:51 PM
I carry at Glock 40 cal. With the cheapest rounds known to man. My old woods were I grow up my mother tangled with a Rabid fox while doing chores and I have been checking or turning off vacuum pumps at night with coyotes close enough where I can hear there paws crunch crisp snow and the little yips they make to communicate with the pack. We started hunting them last winter end up with 7 big coyotes. Some raccoons taking a late night skinny dip in the sweet water and I even take shots at the red squirrels. Every red squirrel I get rid of 5 show up it seems. Beech nuts and hickory nuts are plentiful this year and so are the squirrels!

Zucker Lager
10-23-2019, 05:20 PM
So a friend says to me the other day
"you know how to identify bear scat?"
"it's got little bits of air horns in it and smells like pepper spray".......................hehe Jay

Sugar Bear
10-25-2019, 04:33 PM
I'd be willing to make a bet and a good one ... say 500 gallons of good quality syrup .... that more sugar makers have been killed in the woods by falling tree limbs then wild animals.

So with that said ... and it be your personal safety in the woods your concerned about, I recommend a hard hat first and then maybe think about the slick side piece.

It just makes good mathematical sense.

As for me ... no hard hat and no side piece or spray can. I just take my chances.

maple flats
10-25-2019, 05:47 PM
It becomes even harder to make money at all in syrup when it is all given away.

MapleCamp
10-26-2019, 06:11 PM
Last year while walking alone in my woods through some chest high grass, brush, and weeds in the middle of the day,, I stepped on a wet 45 degree root which caused me to spin and fall on my back. I was not hurt and laid there briefly laughing at my self. When I stood up I came face to face with 3 huge coyotes as startled as I was, 2 or 3 more lurked in the distance. I grabbed the only stick within reach and swung at them while also yelling. The stick broke in half , I fell again, got up yelling at them and they were moving away now and despaired like a deer. The only time I felt I needed one but really didn't. I carry to much stuff to also carry an handgun, but I usually have my dogs with me most of the time and they run anything off.

Tweegs
10-27-2019, 09:21 AM
I carry a .22 in the woods mainly to dispatch the odd squirrel I happen to catch at ground level.
Raccoons too, if they’re up around the house or barn.

No bear or big cats in these parts and the two legged critters are of the neighborly variety.

Coyotes a-plenty here. Never had a problem with them.
Still, when the wife and I are out playing with the telescopes at night there’s a 12 ga nearby to cover our retreat back to the house, if need be.

Had a pack of at least 4 stroll by within 30 yards of us one night.
They never broke stride, just kept right on going.
We went back to looking at stars, once the neck hairs settled back down.:lol:

Mead Maple
10-27-2019, 10:51 AM
I think something to note is folks who carry year round, not just in the woods. ME, NH, VT all have constitutional carry laws so many folks at least in my neck of the sugar woods carry regardless. I’m sure there is many other states that allow permit carry who do the same.

bigschuss
11-02-2019, 01:02 PM
Late to the thread here, but I'll add my 2 cents. Like many of you, I've spent the past 35 years in the woods of the Northeast...hiking, hunting, camping, rock climbing, mtn. biking, snowshoeing, cross country skiing, trail running, logging, mushrooming and looking for ramps, and yes...sugaring. I've not had a single experience where I felt a firearm would have made a difference. They can certainly make you feel a whole lot better at times. So no....I do not carry one in the sugarbush. I do cary one on occasion if I venture out into the backcountry where I may encounter moose. Last year my 2 labs got behind a bull and they chased it in my direction. It came crashing through the brush right at me. I was running and drawing my .44 mag looking for a tree to get behind. The bull finally saw me at 15 yards and stopped dead in its tracks and ran off in another direction. In the end I never needed the pistol. But in that moment, I was sure glad I had it on me that day.

Wannabe
11-03-2019, 06:30 AM
I have never carried while sapping.

But like the old saying goes, you'd rather have it and not need it then not have it and need it.

craigwade2005
11-10-2019, 06:51 PM
I generally carry almost anytime. I'm not too concerned with anything out in the Maine woods but it never hurts. The amount of Rabid animals seems to be on the rise and I'm usually out with at least one of my dogs so protecting them in important as well. Although they are hunting dogs and vaccinated I don't need the headache.
As for what to carry, whatever you are comfortable with. Try a lot for comfort and fit, go to some ranges and rent different types of handguns until you find one you like. After that shoot and shoot often to stay proficient.
Good luck this season from a fellow Mainer!

TonyMo
11-17-2019, 02:29 PM
You guys should carry in the bush....because, as a Canadian, I can't!:cry:
NEVER give an inch on your 2nd amendment.

Hey I just realized this is my first post!!!

Galena
11-17-2019, 07:49 PM
You guys should carry in the bush....because, as a Canadian, I can't!:cry:
NEVER give an inch on your 2nd amendment.

Hey I just realized this is my first post!!!

TonyMo, be glad we live in a country where firearms and the danger they present is taken a little more seriously.

bmbmkr
11-18-2019, 08:48 AM
It took a while, but Im finally chiming in on this post, grab a cup a coffee and get ready to read! lol

I carry an old but meticulously maintained Browning Buckmark .22 on my hip in the summer 7 1/2" barrel,target sights, I'm good to 50 yds with it. I carry my Springfield 1911A1, .45 ACP in the fall, winter and spring on a chest rig that I made. Good to 60 yds with it. I have a .224 Valkyrie AR in the truck, sighted in at 200yds good to 400 and wouldn't hesitate to shoot further, (550 yds is about the longest shot on our farm) and a .223 AR in a scabbard on the tractor- sighted to 200yds, loaded with 45gr V-Max, so 300 is pushin it if the wind is blowing sideways. A Savage 6.5x47 target rifle is my porch gun, sighted in at 200 and good to 600 with it, wind or no wind. It weighs 13lbs loaded so it's a pain to tote around the pastures. There are several .22 and .22 Magnum rifles and a few shotguns in and around the buildings/vehicles on the farm. We own 54 acres, half creek bottom and rolling pasture, half timber, on the hillside. Dad's farm is a couple hundred yds up the creek from ours on our side of the creek, but 1 1/2 miles around the state road. He has 240 acres. 80 acres of pasture on the ridge, 50 acres of creek bottom and rolling pasture, the rest is steep timber in between. Our neighbor owns a 20 acre strip of timber in between our two farms, from the creek bank all the way to the ridge.

We raise sheep, goats, chickens and cattle. Our main threat is protecting the livestock from predators, and us fro rabies, but we carry every day we leave the farm also.

We've killed several coyotes, racoons and possums that were a little too close to the house for our chickens comfort. My wife got her first coyote this summer, 170 yds with her .243. We also have bobcats and a few bears. Saw a fox track while in the Maple Woods last year, but haven't seen many of them since the coyotes moved in 20+ yrs ago. Last week a neighbor supposedly saw a mountain lion. Seems far fetched, but we had a photo documented mountain lion a few years back, tore up a neighbors guard donkey while it was actively guarding their goats and horses. Several people had it on their trail cams. Bobcats are currently protected in Ohio, but I've had a few in my crosshairs, they were a wandering the empty pastures at night. My dog doesn't seem to smell the bobcats as soon as he does coyotes. Both times I've seen em they've been 100 yds of the house. He chased them off after I hit em with the spotlight and sic'd him on them. They have plenty of game on the other side of the creek which is several thousand acres of timber with no houses for a good ways. The coyotes thrive there too but come across every now and then.

We made it 3 1/2 years before one killed anything. We just lost a goat to a coyote a month ago. He snuck in under our English Shepherd during a pre dawn rain shower. He was tied out along a fence row. We usually put the sheep and goats in the barn at night and let em out in the morning. We have 40 or 50 free range chickens, they roost in the chicken house and the barn, and will go 150 yds in either direction foraging in the pastures. They stayed close to the sheep this year, running under them when a hawk would fly over, and picking up grasshoppers and crickets the sheep kick up as they graze It's like our own nature show around here. My wife had a large coyote come in on her in the pasture last year (within 50 yds). She had set her rifle in shed and it came in between her and it. She yelled at it and even advanced on it and it stood it's ground, she raised her hands over her head and backed up while yelling at it, she came through 4 strands of electric fence and backed up almost 200 yds back to the house and I shot at it with the 6.5x47 but missed (shot through a couple tree tops). We found scat and a well worn trail around that pasture. The cattle were used to it, weren't even lookin at it when it came up close to them and my wife in broad daylight. The pasture that he ran into is 300 yards from the house and the far end is on the back side of a knoll. Just about the only clearing we can see from the house. After I shot we never saw that one again. He was huge, bigger than my 80lb dog, granted it was early March and cold and his coat was in prime. We found out a couple days later that a neighbors "wolf dog hybrid" was loose, but I still think it was a different animal, it was a totally different color and by the sign he left, he'd been there a while.

2 legged critters are rare in the area, but there have been several manhunts for murderers and druggies that went through the woods near our place in the last few years. Our house is secluded, we have a private bridge across a major creek, 1/4 mile either direction to the nearest neighbors on the state road, and the ridge behind us is all owned by neighbors who live on that hill, and the holler on the other side, accessible from a county road a mile south of us. I think I'm one of the most secure homesteads in the country people wise, but we have a host of critters.

The year we moved up here from NC, 2016, my parents had built a new house on the other farm and moved out a few weeks before we were able to move. This place sat empty for a couple a weeks other than Mom & Dad driving down here to keep a presence. It's a small community and was obvious that they were moving. Sure enough as soon as we get settled in, several scam artists drove across the bridge up the 200 yd long driveway to sell me extra roofing paint, or extra paving material left over from a job they were on, try to sell me leftover meat from a restaurant that they had in a freezer in their van. All with out of state plates, none in contractor marked vehicles. This is a local scam used by thieves to case your place and come back and clean you out. I'm fortunate to be retired and here 99% of the time. Every single one of those guys met me halfway down the driveway with a pistol on my belt,and a couple times with a rifle slung on my shoulder. After 2 months no more whatsoever. Word gets out.

Carrying is cheap insurance especially since my wife and daughter are often on their end of the farm and I'm on the other or up at Dad's farm helping him. My wife wears her 9mm and has a rifle close. She's a crack shot and ICE under pressure. My daughter just started 4H this year and we are fortunate to have a Shooting club, she's shooting .22 Rifle.

TonyL
11-21-2019, 08:04 AM
I've never carried in our woods unless I was hunting. We have coyotes, bobcats, skunks, possums, raccoons, and the occasional mountain lion. In five decades on this property, not once have I felt threatened by an animal. Seen plenty though. I have friends that carry religiously, citing better to have and not need than to need and not have. I get that, but I'm FAR more likely to be struck by lightning in our woods than attacked by an animal or another person.... and you don't see me attaching a stick of rebar to my hat and leading it to ground with some copper wire. It's just not a worry. I think some carry first, then think up a reason second. That's fine, it's your right. But as I tell my friends, just own it..." I carry because I like how it looks/ feels". Just be honest.