PDA

View Full Version : October Journal

maple flats
10-01-2019, 07:00 AM
Well, October is here already. Time to get more fall work done. Finish splitting a little more wood (logs have been stacked for 2+ years, off the ground). Then do some walking the lines to begin repairs before the ground is covered with deep snow. One task we have this year is to remove some of the deer. The 2019 season was the first time we had lots of deer chews on the tubing, all on the laterals. Archery season started today, my BIL is hunting behind the sugarhouse now, I hope he gets one, buck or doe, doesn't matter too much, they both eat tubing. However if he has a choice a doe would be better, they can be 3 or 4 deer next year, a buck will still be only 1.
I need to pack more syrup, I'm low on all grades and sizes. Not out yet, but low. When I need to pack more than one grade, I always start with the lightest, then do the next darker and so forth. Will need to haul clean water down, drain the permeate tank, wash it, then pump 100-150 gal of fresh water into the tank. Then use that for cleaning equipment. Before we get freezing weather I then drain any remaining water , otherwise I end up with a block of ice in the tank.
I don't fall tap, who does?
Another thing, I like to take inventory of my tapping supplies and get what I need now rather than when I'm in the woods tapping. I have plenty of tubing rolls but likely need fittings.

johnallin
10-01-2019, 04:02 PM
I'm now starting to get into "syrup mode".

Plans include improving the transfer of sap from the new hi vac woods area up to sugar house with sap lifters, or whatever it takes.
A new cement pad is to be installed alongside the sugar house to get sap tank - and me - out of the mud. Will be putting a roof over the pad for added wood storage.

Also looking at tubing the original stand I had used bags on at the north end of our property (180 to 200+ taps there) and bringing that over to the sugar house. This will require some creative thinking to clear two drives and/or run down through a back ravine and then on up a 20' rise to shack. If I get this all in, will also be looking at a larger RO and revising the way I had it all plumbed in...

At 66, I'm still going in to work everyday but hope to start turning things over to our son next year. After 50 years of working every day I want to play with my toys again!
Man it's good to see activity pick up on Trader again...

Russell Lampron
10-01-2019, 06:17 PM
I sold a lot of syrup last weekend at the Deerfield Fair. That means that I've got some canning to do to restock the shelves. I'm going to have surgery to repair a hernia next Tuesday and am going to be out of work for 5 or six weeks. I'll finish getting my wood in with the help of my son in law when the Dr says that I can start lifting again.

johnallin
10-01-2019, 07:06 PM
Russ, good luck with the hernia surgery. I know what help from son-in-laws and a son can be like. Without them I’d have a lot less wood put up each year. Nah, make that next to no wood!

Sure hope the hernia surgery is successful and it sounds a lot less serious than the high PSA you’re dealing with.
For what it’s worth..have an older brother, still in Canada, dealing with that for 4 years now. His doctors are monitoring instead of cutting. All the best to you and get rested up for a bang-up season.

Russell Lampron
10-02-2019, 05:21 AM
Russ, good luck with the hernia surgery. I know what help from son-in-laws and a son can be like. Without them I’d have a lot less wood put up each year. Nah, make that next to no wood!

Sure hope the hernia surgery is successful and it sounds a lot less serious than the high PSA you’re dealing with.
For what it’s worth..have an older brother, still in Canada, dealing with that for 4 years now. His doctors are monitoring instead of cutting. All the best to you and get rested up for a bang-up season.

Thank you for the well wishes. I'm sure that the hernia surgery is going to go well. I'm hoping that the recovery isn't as painful as the prostate surgery recovery was.

I've had my prostate removed and then had radiation and now a recurrence. I'm hoping that your brother has better luck when he does have to have his removed. When I had my surgery my urologist told me that I had a 70% chance of a recurrence in 10 years. I hope that your brother is in the 30% that won't.