PDA

View Full Version : Losing man’s best friend

Bruce L
09-29-2019, 07:27 AM
Last week my faithful old black lab came down to the house early in the morning,laid up against the front door and passed. I was kind of wondering if he would make the winter,but hadn’t expected it quite so soon. It’s a blessing he went quickly and didn’t suffer,but still kind of a shock, and it’s the little things every day that remind me of him,and make me miss him. He would greet me at the door first thing when I went outside to check the cattle,then follow me up to the barn,though no longer able to make the trek to the field,then follow me back to the house for his breakfast. He would greet me again when I drove back in from the school bus,and stay by my side for whatever I’m doing during the day. He loved to go for rides in the side by side,investigating trails and scents while we were working in the bush. He was our best driveway alarm,alerting us to someone pulling in the yard,then leading them to the house to purchase syrup,all the time with his tail proudly wagging. Mostly of all though he was a constant companion to greet you and follow you around faithfully,no matter the weather or how your day was going.R.I.P COLE

DrTimPerkins
09-29-2019, 09:01 AM
My condolences Bruce.

maple flats
09-29-2019, 10:08 AM
It's always sad when a faithful friend passes. Are you planning to get another?

buckeye gold
09-29-2019, 11:47 AM
dang it now you made me cry. I told my family the two labs we have now are the last dogs, I can't stand to bury anymore. Every time one dies a piece of me dies.

heus
09-29-2019, 03:02 PM
Offering my condolences Bruce.

mainebackswoodssyrup
09-29-2019, 05:09 PM
Sorry for your loss Bruce. When our 2 labs passed 3 and 4 years ago, both at the age of 10 I took it harder than my wife or daughter and it wasn’t even close. Time will help you realize how lucky you were to have such a good friend.

Bruce L
09-29-2019, 06:37 PM
It's always sad when a faithful friend passes. Are you planning to get another?
No Dave,not planning on anymore,this was my most loyal dog ever,took it kind of nonchalantly? when he passed but missing him ever since. Young enough to have more,but it takes the stuffing right out of you to lose such a loyal companion

Russell Lampron
09-29-2019, 07:41 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss Bruce. Knowing from past experience it's hard to lose such a devoted companion. Labs are the best and I think it's going to be more difficult than ever when my two cross the rainbow bridge.

MapleCamp
09-29-2019, 07:56 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss, I lost one of my two labs right in the middle of the last sugar season and it still hurts.

tcross
09-30-2019, 05:57 AM
Sorry for your loss Bruce! i have a 10 year old short hair i can't fathom, even the thought of loosing.

steve J
09-30-2019, 12:31 PM
Sorry for your loss I have traveled the same path far to often. You where both lucky to have found each other. the one thing about a dog is they love you unconditionally. Everyone may be mad at you but the dog still loves you.

On the ledge
09-30-2019, 03:44 PM
Sorry for your loss. I know how you feel we just had to put our 14 year old Border Collie down 4 days ago.

Ultimatetreehugger
10-23-2019, 05:16 PM
I hope you guys will keep me and my family in your thoughts and prayers. I just said goodbye to my 18 year old woods companion Skippy. He was a wonderful calm, loving, and loyal companion.2031720317

maple flats
10-24-2019, 11:27 AM
Over the years I have lost many dogs, all "best friends" except one. That one was the only one I shed no tears over. However I still have fond memories of most of the others, even ones we had 60+ years ago. I still find a new puppy a good healer for a grieving heart.

Ultimatetreehugger
10-24-2019, 12:12 PM
I have a lab that I'm going to take some time to train a little better before I take on another pup. He has been very understanding.

Pdiamond
10-24-2019, 09:24 PM
treehugger
I feel your pain. My first Brit was 19 when we finally had to have her put down, that was my first companion and first hunting dog and I am now 64 and still miss her. I have never had another dog that was so easy to train nor so willing to hunt and retrieve. My dogs now are just our house buddies and when they are gone we probably will not have any more animals. Its just to hard losing them.

maple flats
10-25-2019, 08:02 AM
Well, I'm 73 and after going about a year without a dog or cat, my wife decided we needed ducks. We incubated a batch of Khaki Campbell ducks. In the first year we pared them down to 3, giving the rest away. We still have them, in our fenced in back yard even though we live in a upscale residential area of town. Then my wife had to get a Hamster, (still have it), goldfish (all but one of 5 committed suicide by jumping out of the water) and then 2 years ago we got a Cocker Spaniel. We would not trade her for anything. She is pretty much a house dog but loves walks on a leash (unless it is raining, she hates rain). We originally thought when we lost our previous dog that we were done, we now have more pets that we ever did in the past, even when we had 4 kids at home.

gbeneke
12-27-2019, 05:29 PM
Dave,
Glad you got another dog. It is hard to lose them though. I was a veterinarian for 41 years and I found people tend to shrivel up when they don't have a dog to to give them perspective in their lives. So, good for you, enjoy.Doc Beneke

Sugarmaker
12-28-2019, 08:02 AM
Folks with or now without dogs this is a good listen:
https://www.google.com/search?q=baxter+black+just+a+dog&rlz=1CAACBD_enUS777US777&oq=baxter+b&aqs=chrome.4.69i59j0j69i57j0l5.6478j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
We have a family dog nearing the end of her days.
Hope your doing ok Bruce.
Regards,
Chris

Ultimatetreehugger
12-28-2019, 09:54 AM
Thanks for sharing Chris.

highlandcattle
12-29-2019, 07:28 AM
My heart goes out to you. My animals have meant more to me than most people. I lost my last dog at 17. When I had to put Emma down I was in such a dark place. I adore my cats,but they are not the same as the connection you share with a dog. I said I would never go through this again. My friend and I volunteer at our local shelter in the cat room. One year ago we lost our minds. A Chihuahua had been brought in. Someone let him put in subfreezibg weather. On the loose for 3 weeks. No idea how he survived( may they rot in Hell). We said "can we just look at him?". 8 pounds of skin and bone. My 86 year old friend held him. I said "time to put him back in his kennel". "nope". Ok. So we'll foster him. Somehow mt hands were filling out adoption papers...Ron said"so how long is he staying?". I told him about 15 or 20 years. Our baby boy turned 4 last week. He has a loving grandma across the street,doggie cousins,a beautiful Chi girfriend, and is a 14 pound gorgeous spoiled brat. To all the animal lovers out there...enjoy every moment. Animals love unconditionally.

Sugar Bear
02-05-2020, 05:18 PM
I adore my cats,but they are not the same as the connection you share with a dog.

It was extremely difficult for me to say goodbye to our Devon Rex cat Toby last June. He was nearly 18 years old and had a sister who lived to 15.

Like dog breeds, not all cat breeds are the same.

You should try getting a Devon Rex cat. They are extraordinary animals in all aspects. Very vocal and run to the door as soon as you get home.

They cry when you are about to leave the house for some time and are very perceptive as to when that will be the case, as they know exactly what a packed bag is.

Their eyes are extremely penetrating and their VERY distinct pupils can follow your every movement far more intensely then a humans pupil. Not to mention the blankness of a dogs pupil.

They have the softest short hair coat of fur you will ever touch in your life and they shed little to no fir.

They live full lives around 16 to 18 years.

One of the few things they will not eat is Maple Syrup.

blissville maples
02-05-2020, 07:23 PM
Am sorry for your loss, its so hard. our 12 year old golden suffered a ruptured spleen due to cancer in the night, was horrible. Honestly get another dog ASAP, it really helps the healing. We now have 3!

ChaskaSap
03-03-2020, 08:18 AM
It's never a good time when they go and for me, as I age, it gets more difficult. My last pup was a 110lb gentle giant that was my best bud through a divorce and as I transitioned in a new direction. I had 15 good years, I wish there could have been more. Yes it's hard, so much so, I haven't been able to commit to getting another quite yet. Perhaps some day soon. Regardless, I'm sorry for your loss...really sorry!