PDA

View Full Version : Pro and con on stubby adapter

calvertbrothers
09-23-2019, 11:24 AM
I’m adding a few hundred more taps this year and I have been thinking to the stubby adapters to save some time. And my old taps should be all replaced. What is the pro’s and con’s of the stubby adapter?

steve J
09-23-2019, 01:29 PM
I have used then and have found them to be a pain at end of season when I was trying to take off the spouts.

Russell Lampron
09-23-2019, 06:13 PM
I've used the stubby and adapter and find that I like the one piece seasonal spout better. There's no chance of the spout and adapter getting pushed apart on a hard freeze and something new goes into the tree every year.

calvertbrothers
09-23-2019, 07:35 PM
I've used the stubby and adapter and find that I like the one piece seasonal spout better. There's no chance of the spout and adapter getting pushed apart on a hard freeze and something new goes into the tree every year.
I was thinking of throwing the adapter away that goes into the tree every year and start with a fresh one when I’m ready to tap

Russell Lampron
09-24-2019, 05:15 AM
I was thinking of throwing the adapter away that goes into the tree every year and start with a fresh one when I’m ready to tap

That's what I used to do. I prefer the one piece throw away taps. I can see through them which really helps when I'm looking for vacuum leaks and there's one less place for a potential leak.

mellondome
09-26-2019, 10:55 AM
I use them with the clear checkvalves. Saves a lot of time when tapping and haven't had any vac issues. Just remember to seat the tap before attaching the stubby. Do not tap the stubby into the tap. Push and twist 90 deg.

corrowbasin
09-29-2019, 09:56 AM
I've used lapierre and and leader stubby spots in my woods (5K plus taps) without issue. I've prefer the new Lapierre 5/16" (blue or green) teardrop style over the bulky 7/16" black ones. I find the seasonal spout adapters are usually cheaper, provides a new clean spout for the taphole, and is much faster tapping the woods. Yes one or two may separate during a hard freeze, but that because I don't drive them hard together when tapping. (Otherwise you'll be spending a lot of time at the end of the season separating them. Time saved tapping vs pressing new seasonal spouts on drops in freezing weather is my main reason. Plus your fingers will thank you.

calvertbrothers
09-29-2019, 03:46 PM
I've used lapierre and and leader stubby spots in my woods (5K plus taps) without issue. I've prefer the new Lapierre 5/16" (blue or green) teardrop style over the bulky 7/16" black ones. I find the seasonal spout adapters are usually cheaper, provides a new clean spout for the taphole, and is much faster tapping the woods. Yes one or two may separate during a hard freeze, but that because I don't drive them hard together when tapping. (Otherwise you'll be spending a lot of time at the end of the season separating them. Time saved tapping vs pressing new seasonal spouts on drops in freezing weather is my main reason. Plus your fingers will thank you.

Thank you, I was thinking the same thing cutting time and faster the fallowing next couple of years. Just heard people not being able to get the adapters off. But I’m leaning towards getting them.

Sunday Rock Maple
09-30-2019, 08:06 PM
We cut our stubbies off 4 years ago and use a straight clear disposable at 13 cents each. Easy to install, way less maintenance after a hard freeze and no regrets.