PDA

View Full Version : Possible firebox revision, looking for comments

RUSTYBUCKET
09-21-2019, 06:45 PM
Current unit is a wood fired D&G model 700 dropflue. At the back of the firebox is a metal plate, 1/4" thick, 3" high and runs the width of the firebox. With the flue pan in place, there is a 5-6" gap between the top of the plate and the bottom of the flues. Would it serve any purpose to add a 5-6" high extension to the top of the plate......thinking this would serve to get the flames up into the flues for a more efficient boil ?

Thanks in advance for all comments.

Rusty

Russell Lampron
09-22-2019, 05:09 AM
That's exactly what you want to do. Raise it so that it's a 1/2" below the bottom of the flues and fill in the space behind it all of the way to the back of the arch.

maple flats
09-22-2019, 08:20 AM
What Russ said.

n8hutch
09-22-2019, 06:55 PM
I have a vertical wall in the back of my firebox that is basically level with the arch rails and goes back to within 3" of the stack collar before dropping down. It works great but I did get one place where the sap would jump out over the sides of my flu pan and it would make a mess on the side of the pan. It hasn't been much of an issue since I put my hood on.

If I did it again I would probably put a slight taper at the back of the firebox maybe start 3" below my flues and taper up to 1/4" in the first foot or so. Of course mine is a raised flue this may not be an issue with a drop flue I've never had one.

maple flats
09-23-2019, 08:40 AM
When added air over fire (AOF) to my arch, I changed the ramp on my arch. the back wall of my firebox now rises straight up to 4" from the pans, then slopes up to within 1/4" at the same angle the original slope was. The air shoots out and down into the fire from 6" below the pans via nozzles made of black iron pipe. This has worked very well. Mine is raised flue.