PDA

View Full Version : Sap Storage and Bascoms Question?

Kubota
09-17-2019, 09:16 AM
2nd year for me and have my new WF Mason evaporator on order. Cant wait!

I'll need quite a few new things for this year, including better sap storage. I've been looking on CL and not feeling great about getting used food grade products. Today I saw a post on here and then checked on Bascom's website for 55 Gallon barrels for a $50 price. I'd need 3. For peace of mind, I wouldn't mind spending that vs used on CL for around $30. It's still a small 40-50 tap operation so trying to be reasonable about cost.

I've never been to Bascoms, but I see on their website its open 6 days a week, year round. Do they stock all the items on their website? Can we just drive up on a Saturday and leave with barrels and all other things we need for the season? (taps, 3/16 line, filters, refractory cement, lots of 100ml bottles, ect.)

-Mike

mbascom
09-17-2019, 10:48 AM
Hello Kubota,

Yes, we (Bascom's) try to keep everything in stock, but occasionally we do run out of items. We currently have about 90 of the plastic barrels you are referring to in stock. If there is a specific item you were wondering about feel free to contact us directly and we could let you know.

Kubota
09-17-2019, 12:11 PM
Hello Kubota,

Yes, we (Bascom's) try to keep everything in stock, but occasionally we do run out of items. We currently have about 90 of the plastic barrels you are referring to in stock. If there is a specific item you were wondering about feel free to contact us directly and we could let you know.

mbascom,
Great, thanks for the response! Sent an email to sales this morning with the same question, so feel free to disregard that.
Can't wait to come up and check out the store.
-Mike

raptorfan85
09-17-2019, 12:39 PM
mbascom,
Great, thanks for the response! Sent an email to sales this morning with the same question, so feel free to disregard that.
Can't wait to come up and check out the store.
-Mike

It's like walking into the toy store when you were a kid. I was running around dragging my wife by the arm going "look at this! Oh look at this!"

mol1jb
09-17-2019, 02:37 PM
I'm a little jealous because down here in Central IL there isn't a maple store for 200 miles. I've never actually been in one.

n8hutch
09-17-2019, 03:23 PM
Yup I Always Enjoy A trip to Bascoms, lots of shiney stuff to look at, never know what you might find in the used equipment area.

raptorfan85
09-17-2019, 06:11 PM
I remember going into the showroom and thinking it was overwhelming, then I asked where the used pans were and I was directed to the secondary warehouse where they keep the big evaporators....

DrTimPerkins
09-18-2019, 07:26 AM
I remember going into the showroom and thinking it was overwhelming, then I asked where the used pans were and I was directed to the secondary warehouse where they keep the big evaporators....

Yup...big place. Plan on spending a good bit of time there. There is the main building, both upstairs and downstairs. Then some stuff outside. Then more stuff in the other building. Bring a big truck...and a trailer. Don't forget your wallet, checkbook and credit card...those you'll leave there. :lol:

Biz
09-18-2019, 11:22 AM
I picked up some 55 gal barrels at Bascom's last spring and they worked great. Better lid retention systems than other used ones I have gotten. The used ones on Craigslist were not much cheaper and you don't always know what was in them so it can take several cleaning cycles. Even then they are not as good as new ones. Only drawback is how far you have to drive to get them.

Dave

Kubota
09-18-2019, 02:45 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Is there a better time of year to go? Fall? Winter? Just before maple season?

maple flats
09-19-2019, 07:36 AM
This Saturday morning would be good. Just before maple season it gets to be a mad house and more items are out of stock.
Most other dealers will have some new and often some used equipment, but only the biggest ones will have a huge assortment. Bascoms is likely the biggest and closer to you, but Goodrich maple in Cabot, Vt. will also have a lot to see too.