PDA

View Full Version : Bricking a new evaporator

Lukie
09-11-2019, 05:13 AM
I know you use the mortar between the bricks on the edges but do you mortar the back side of the brick that is touching the arch paper ? I am pretty sure you wouldn't but before I do this I want to make sure I do this right

canaanmaple
09-11-2019, 03:34 PM
I know you use the mortar between the bricks on the edges but do you mortar the back side of the brick that is touching the arch paper ? I am pretty sure you wouldn't but before I do this I want to make sure I do this right

not necessary. You can insulate the arch better by putting ceramic blanket behind the brick though. Seems to help hold the bricks in place pretty well too when you are bricking it :)

Lukie
09-12-2019, 05:01 AM
Sorry that's what I meant ceramic blanket I called it arch paper I did use the ceramic paper so I guess I wont put any mortar on the back side of the bricks thanks

maple flats
09-12-2019, 08:12 AM
You are calling it paper, how thick is it? If just paper thick you are not insulating it much if any. Most who use ceramic insulation use 1" thick (some might even use thicker, but a barrel stove arch would lose too much combustion chamber space.

Lukie
09-12-2019, 03:19 PM
Bill Mason who makes the evaporator sold it to me so I think it is the correct stuff and I am using the thick blocks in the fire chamber so I should be all set and thanks for the input when I have time I need to change the barrel stove to Mason 2x4XL

maple flats
09-12-2019, 03:46 PM
OK, Bill Mason will know for sure!

tcross
10-14-2019, 02:21 PM
i have a bricking question, which i didn't see a reason to start a new thread for. i bricked my evaporator this past weekend. i bricked it all the way up tight to the top rail. that evening i thought, perhaps i should have left a small space under the rail for any expansion going on. if my bricks are tight to the top rail (i could slide them in and out fine, but about a 1/16th of a gap), will it cause any warping or moving of my top rail? i'd assume the brick would probably crack from expanding pressure before the angle iron bends? obviously taking the top course of brick off (it's been mortared) is going to be a PITA, but if it's necessary, i'll do it now while i have time. any opinions?

Russ008
02-07-2021, 04:12 PM
just installed blanket in my 18 X 60" H2O http://mapletrader.com/community/attachment.php?attachmentid=21892&stc=1

ir3333
02-07-2021, 07:23 PM
you only need brick in your firebox for physical protection of the fire board or blanket.I don't think you need to mortar them.
I didn't cement or mortar any of my bricks other than a spot here and there so they don't fall out when i move it.It's on castors.

Pdiamond
02-07-2021, 07:50 PM
Russ008, Looks really good, So how many fire bricks are you going to have to install on top of that ceramic blanket now?