PDA

View Full Version : Shurflo pump 110v vs 12v

Johnjenner
09-09-2019, 03:41 PM
Going to try to use shuflo pumps this year. Friend of mine uses the 12 V pump’s with good success. The 110 V pump’s would work better for me. Any advantages or disadvantages to the 110 V versus 12 or pumps?

Ultimatetreehugger
09-09-2019, 07:53 PM
The motors are weak on the 110s. You'll be better using a 12v through a battery and and have a battery charger on it. I've experienced it and read it repeatedly on MT.

Johnjenner
09-09-2019, 08:25 PM
Appreciate it Ultimatetreehugger. I can do 12 volt and use a charger. Another question is can i Just leave the pumps/batteries in the woods over night and Just shut the pumps off. Really dont want to haul the batteries/pumps in every night

OCHTO
09-09-2019, 09:54 PM
I have an old cooler in my woods that I put my pump and battery in at night. I can pump at least 200 gal 8 ft. up for 400 ft. over the course of 3 to 5 days depending on sap flow before I need a charge. Every thing is hooked up with garden hose fittings. Easy to take apart to clean a couple times per season. Get the filter attachment. Keep the screen clean.

Ultimatetreehugger
09-10-2019, 06:07 AM
Are you using it to draw vacuum or transfer? I didn't have power near my woods for a few years when I was using it to draw vacuum. So I had dead batteries every night and carried them up 200 ft to the road and back down in the morning. you can build a doghouse structure or use a cooler overnight but I recommend pulling them out for extended freezes.

Johnjenner
09-10-2019, 06:30 AM
I’m using the pump for a vacuum. I have the same issue where I don’t have power in my woods but thought I would put a generator there to charge my batteries. I’ve seen other people just leave their set ups in the woods and just wondered if that would be OK. I do agree with your comment on several day freeze ups. I would bring everything in at that point.

mol1jb
09-10-2019, 08:39 AM
Another part of this setup that a lot of people use and is very helpful is a temp switch. It lets you set the turn on and off temps for your pump setup. The 12v variety are cheap and easy to setup.

maple flats
09-10-2019, 08:53 AM
While my only experience with that type of diaphragm pump is in my sugarhouse, I use a 115V pump. I have used it for 5-6 years now but it is used only to pull permeate or fresh water from my permeate tank, into the sugarhouse to supply my tankless water heater. It moves over 3 gpm at 50 psi. This is what I use Model# 2088-594-154.
It only gets turned on when I'll be using hot water so that is a little different use from running one for 16-24 hrs a day non stop. When I turn it on it might be on the whole time I'm working in the sugarhouse, cycling on and off as needed, but likely I never had it on for more than 8 hours and most often for 2-3 hrs.

Biz
09-10-2019, 09:21 AM
If you use a 12 volt pump, you might consider using a solar panel to keep the battery charged. Go with 100 watts or larger, and use a deep cycle marine battery. The marine battery is around $100 and will run a 3gpm pump over 30 hours. You can find lots of solar panels on ebay for around $150, make sure you get a charge controller also. They are easy to hook up.

A thermostat or temperature controller helps a lot but there is still a risk of freeze damage due to the residual sap in the lines when the pump shuts off. A bypass valve and drain valves help, as well as adjusting thermostat settings so the pump turns off after sap has stopped flowing (30 degrees or less). Or check out my website below for fully automated controllers which help prevent freeze damage.

Dave

RileySugarbush
09-10-2019, 09:31 AM
I endorse the use of 12V over 120 AC. They seem to last longer. In the past I have used a battery charger with near dead 12V auto battery to filter out the noisy output of the charger, and would turn off and remove the pump on freezings nights. I was thinking of an automatic system that you see here sometimes to make that easier.

Last year I got lazy and just ran the pumps on the charger w/o the battery, and left them running 24-7. No damage with the freeze ups, it just started flowing when things thaw out. I'll keep with that strategy.

Johnjenner
09-10-2019, 04:48 PM
Hey John. I like your idea of running just the charger and forgetting the battery. Can you tell me what kind of charger you used? How many amps? It makes sense