PDA

View Full Version : Plastic ball valves

ennismaple
11-15-2007, 01:30 PM
We've always used the barbed insert fittings at the end of our mainlines - Why? Who knows... I don't like them as they tend to leak after a few years and can be a pain to remove when we wash up at the end of the season.

I plan to use PVC ball valves at the ends of our new mainlines instead. For cleaning all we'd have to do is insert a length of the appropriate size mainline into the open end of the valve and open it to suck the wash water through. Do you simply use PVC cement to attach the mainline (blue translucent) to the valve?

Thanks.

802maple
11-15-2007, 02:33 PM
I don't think the cement will work for a very long time. I just put out 21000 feet of mainline and I used threaded plastic ball valves with a adapter and and pushed it in the mainline and clamped it. The cement may work as I have never tried it. My suspicion is that the mainline is not the same outside diameter as pvc. Also the blue translucent that I used wasn't perfectly round either. Report back as to how it worked

maplehound
11-15-2007, 03:30 PM
I do the same as 802, Then when I vaccume cleaning water down the pipe i just stick a 3/4 inch line into my water and the other end into my 1" valve. If the vaccume is running it will pull the water right down the line.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-15-2007, 07:09 PM
Jerry,

Are you setting up your own bush for next year or helping someone else?????

802maple
11-15-2007, 09:05 PM
This was a contract that I had to do someone elses. I still am looking for a new orchard. I have a line on a couple.Hope to land something in the not to distant future.

ennismaple
11-16-2007, 11:21 AM
Thanks 802maple - that makes a lot more sense than gluing it.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-18-2007, 05:57 AM
Jerry,

Good luck and hopefully soon as it won't be long now!