PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Tubing

bryankloos
09-06-2019, 08:18 PM
Hi All,

Thinking ahead for 2020, I’m adding a transfer pump to push sap from my collection barrel up to the house. The run will be about 175 feet and goes up 40 feet in elevation. I will use a Seaflo 7gph pump.

My question is what type of 1/2” tubing should I buy for this transfer. It will be permanent for the season and not moved until I close out 2020.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks

Bryan

RedMapleCreek
09-08-2019, 09:11 PM
Did you mean a 7 gpm pump?

Depending on what flow rate you actually want to achieve, you may want to consider using something larger than 1/2" tubing. I use a Shurflo nominal 4 gpm pump to pump from my collection point up to the sugar house which is a 250 ft run and up about 20 ft in elevation. I use 3/4" Leader blue plastic mainline stretched tight and side tied so it is completely self draining with no low spots to freeze, and I actually get about 3 gpm. Whatever tubing you use, make sure to install it so it is self draining.

maple flats
09-09-2019, 06:26 AM
Use at least 1 size larger tubing than the size of the pump. Read the specs to be sure the pump can push the 40' lift (and don't just guess, verify the lift). As stated, mount the transfer line to eliminate any dips that could freeze. What is the head rating of the Seaflo 7 gpm pump?

bryankloos
09-09-2019, 08:52 AM
Hey Guys,

The pump is an EVERFLO EF7000 7.0 GPM Diaphragm Pump.
Specs have is at ~5gpm at 60 psi, which by my calculations should be plenty.
I hear you on the increase of diameter to decrease restriction.
I'll up-size to 3/4" line, and the plan it to have a good slope for gravity draining after pump.

this will be for pumping out of my collection barrel, which is a 55 gallon plastic drum, up to the IBC tote near the RO and Evaporator.

The more I read the more I hear the leader line is good stuff. Assuming it is straight and drains by gravity, the added heat from black poly wont be necessary as the pipe should never freeze up.