PDA

View Full Version : September Journal

maple flats
09-02-2019, 08:23 AM
The cooler weather has started making it easier to get work done outside. Unlike 2 years and more ago, I still have more wood to buck and split, however most of what I'll be burning is basswood. Basswood splits easily and dries very quickly. Even what little I have to do yet will be good to burn for the 2020 season. The logs have been cut for 3 years and stacked off the ground, but still hold quite a bit of moisture. I split everything to wrist size and stack it under the 3' overhang on the sugarhouse where it dries well.
This coming season I'll be cutting back on taps. My one remaining lease was up for sale, but now the landowner, who will be retiring in Dec 2020 says he wants to do it himself. He doesn't know yet if he wants to just sell the sap or if he will boil it too. I told him I would process on shares or maybe even buy the sap outright. I can process more, it's just a little too much for me to get all the pre-season repairs done and then keep up with any leaks. Much of his ground is 45-55% slope and my old legs get tired too fast.

Russell Lampron
09-02-2019, 03:44 PM
I brought my wood splitter up to the house yesterday and got it tinkered up and ready to split wood. I replaced the starter solenoid so that it will start with the key. I noticed a lot of grass in the cooling fins so I took off the blower housing and cleaned it out. Some of the cooling fins were plugged with mud from mud wasps and there was a mouse nest in there too. I had to tape up the wire to the coil where the mice chewed the insulation off. It's ready to go now. I'll be filling the wood shed soon.

Ultimatetreehugger
09-02-2019, 08:46 PM
Bought my first canner in August and have been canning since. I've had a few markets open up to me in central US which I'm exploring. might have to add taps if it works out.

BAP
09-22-2019, 11:03 AM
Spent yesterday afternoon and this morning working on splitting wood. Behind this year do to a busy summer.

Bruce L
09-22-2019, 12:55 PM
Working on filling sugar house with small rounds,arm size and down that we would trip over in the bush,doesn’t add up real fast but makes a great fire and cleans bush at same time

Galena
09-22-2019, 04:49 PM
Working on filling sugar house with small rounds,arm size and down that we would trip over in the bush,doesn’t add up real fast but makes a great fire and cleans bush at same time

Bruce! Been trying to get ahold of you via email. Please check for a message from me - susanlandrews2@hotmail.com - not a PM from here. Thanks!

Galena
09-22-2019, 04:55 PM
I am so glad that I got all my wood - both for Shack Whacky and my house's woodstove - done early this year. Been a little too exciting for my tastes in my neck o' the woods.

On the plus side, a couple of my batches have been doing well at fairs...a joint 2nd place at Spencerville, and a 1st in Light at Richmond and a 2nd in Amber also at Richmond. So far I estimate that I've won about $45 so that helps cover entry fees lol :-)

Just hotpacked my entries for Carp, they are all set to get out there and kick ***! Metcalfe after that, then that's my season - unless I can find another Zone 1 or 2 Fair to enter in time. Wanted to enter the Royal (would have shipped bottles down) but sadly the closing date for entries was this past Monday. Dangit!

Russell Lampron
09-22-2019, 05:35 PM
I jugged up some syrup to sell at the Deerfield Fair this morning. I'll box that up tomorrow to bring to the fair Wednesday. I also picked up my new filter press today. I'll be able to get more than 5 gallons through this baby.

I found out 3 months ago that my PSA was up and then confirmed that it was still going up last month. Some rouge prostate cancer cells are starting to grow. I go in for a PET scan tomorrow and find out the results Tuesday. I'm hoping that the scan shows something and that it can be removed. If not there are other treatment options but surgery if it's possible would be the best one. On the bright side I've decided to retire early. Target date March 1st.

Galena
09-22-2019, 06:36 PM
...I found out 3 months ago that my PSA was up and then confirmed that it was still going up last month. Some rouge prostate cancer cells are starting to grow. I go in for a PET scan tomorrow and find out the results Tuesday. I'm hoping that the scan shows something and that it can be removed. If not there are other treatment options but surgery if it's possible would be the best one. On the bright side I've decided to retire early. Target date March 1st.

Oh jeez...hope all goes well for you. Please keep us informed.

BAP
09-22-2019, 06:40 PM
I jugged up some syrup to sell at the Deerfield Fair this morning. I'll box that up tomorrow to bring to the fair Wednesday. I also picked up my new filter press today. I'll be able to get more than 5 gallons through this baby.

I found out 3 months ago that my PSA was up and then confirmed that it was still going up last month. Some rouge prostate cancer cells are starting to grow. I go in for a PET scan tomorrow and find out the results Tuesday. I'm hoping that the scan shows something and that it can be removed. If not there are other treatment options but surgery if it's possible would be the best one. On the bright side I've decided to retire early. Target date March 1st.
Sorry to hear that Russ. I hope everything turns out well. Congratulations on your retirement plans.

spud
09-23-2019, 05:49 AM
I will be praying for you Russ. May the Lord comfort you during this difficult time. I hope your retired years will be a blessing to you and your family.

Spud

maple flats
09-23-2019, 08:29 AM
From a cancer survivor to you, I'll be praying for you Russ. About retirement, you will like it. When I retired it took very little time to get used to it, but warning, you will never figure out how you ever had enough time to go to work after you retire.

Maplewalnut
09-23-2019, 08:35 AM
Thoughts and prayers for you Russ. You will have many years of enjoyable retirement

Mike

Russell Lampron
09-23-2019, 06:18 PM
Thank you for the well wishes. I had a PET scan done today and will know the results tomorrow afternoon. I know that I will like retirement. I'll finally have the time to get the things done that I have been putting off for years.

Pdiamond
09-23-2019, 06:27 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you also Russ. You will definitely enjoy retirement. Sleep in every once in awhile, it feels really good, kinda like playing hooky. How is that new filter press working out for you?

Russell Lampron
09-24-2019, 05:09 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you also Russ. You will definitely enjoy retirement. Sleep in every once in awhile, it feels really good, kinda like playing hooky. How is that new filter press working out for you?

Thank you for the thoughts and prayers. I haven't had a chance to try out the new press yet. I've got to pick up some fittings first so that I can hook up the hoses. I have some commercial syrup that I plan to run through it as soon as I get it plumbed.

Bruce L
09-29-2019, 07:10 AM
Wishing you all the best Russell,praying for a great outcome for you

DrTimPerkins
09-29-2019, 09:01 AM
Hoping for the best.

n8hutch
09-29-2019, 06:04 PM
Hey Russ , Best wishes up here From the Chatham Camp, sounds like you caught it pretty Early? Hopefully it's just a bump in the road on your way to retirement in March. Is your new press air powered?

Russell Lampron
09-29-2019, 07:33 PM
Hey Russ , Best wishes up here From the Chatham Camp, sounds like you caught it pretty Early? Hopefully it's just a bump in the road on your way to retirement in March. Is your new press air powered?

We did catch it early. It gives me some time to figure out treatment options. My new press does have an air pump on it. I put one on my old filter press and really liked it. I wouldn't buy one with a gear pump after using the air pump.

MapleCamp
09-29-2019, 08:08 PM
Good luck Russ, I agree with Flats about figuring how the heck we had time to work while we also ran all our other stuff.