PDA

View Full Version : 1"ceramic blanket under sheet metal not brick for fire box ?

woodguyrob
08-03-2019, 03:32 PM
I have a bunch of 1 inch thick x 2 ft. high ceramic insulation on hand. I'm thinking of lining my fire box with ceramic insulation and then a decent gauge sheet metal (also on hand) in lieu of fire brick. with the goal of Keeping rig light (rollable).

Anyone noticing a decrease in their boil by not having firebrick?

Super Sapper
08-04-2019, 04:35 AM
I used 304 SS on mine and ended up burning it up after a couple seasons.

maple flats
08-04-2019, 07:21 AM
Sheet metal on the fire side of the insulation will never hold up (you would be lucky to get a month out of it), if wood fired you need at least half bricks. Oil and gas fired (propane or natural) just the insulation would be fine.

woodguyrob
08-04-2019, 10:15 AM
I have a bunch of 1 inch thick x 2 ft. high ceramic insulation on hand. I'm thinking of lining my fire box with ceramic insulation and then a decent gauge sheet metal (also on hand) in lieu of fire brick. with the goal of Keeping rig light (rollable).

Anyone noticing a decrease in their boil by not having firebrick?

Looks like i'll be picking up some fire brick! Thanks Super Sapper & maple flats!

Potters3
08-05-2019, 07:25 AM
You will only need brick where the wood will touch. (firebox only) the insulation should be good everywhere else. Just multiple layers. This is how our Vortex is,