PDA

View Full Version : Filter plate press vs vacuum filter

heus
07-31-2019, 08:31 AM
Has anyone used both a traditional filter press and a cdl (or other brand) vacuum filter? I have owned both a long and short bank Wes Fab plate press, but am intrigued by the 12" vacuum press. The vacuum press seems like a lot less mess/clean-up, etc.

n8hutch
07-31-2019, 10:30 AM
I haven't used a Vacuum filter but there is a pretty good video CDL put out on Utube of one working if you haven't already seen it.

fred
07-31-2019, 12:13 PM
easy to use and easy to clean. your welcome to stop in , i have 2 sizes here to check out

johnallin
07-31-2019, 12:46 PM
easy to use and easy to clean. your welcome to stop in , i have 2 sizes here to check out

Fred...you gonna show Heus the Leader Clear Press :cool:. You walked right into that one!

Heus..Fred's actually a good guy and has gone over and above with service.

fred
07-31-2019, 04:55 PM
Fred...you gonna show Heus the Leader Clear Press

i'd be happy to, but he would be happier with something better.............

heus
07-31-2019, 06:01 PM
I've watched several videos. It almost looks too good to be true.

BAP
08-04-2019, 07:58 AM
Heus, I have used both. Before I got hurt and disabled 10 years ago, we tapped around 16,000 and had a 10” filter press. 6 years ago, after moving to a 15 acres property, I started sugaring as a hobby going back to the basics. Wood fired 20”x66” evaporator without a hood or pre heater, no RO, and a come filter. I used the cone filter for a couple years and was not thrilled with it. I built a new sugar house and bought a nice used 2’x8’ Algier evaporator and was up to 235 taps. I then moved up to a flat filter which wasn’t bad but at times I couldn’t get it all threw before I had more Syrup. I used filter aid to make it work better. In the spring of 2018, I purchased a 12” CDL vacuum filter on their early order program. Not knowing what would be the best vacuum source, I bought a new shop vacuum from Home Depot that is small to midsize. I think a little more vacuum would be better but not necessary. I use filter aid. It works great. The Syrup comes out sparkling clean and it is easy to use. I found that it works best if after each time running a batch through, unsnap the metal ring, pop off the top pre filter, dump off the filter aid cake, put the filter back in and go. The filters themselves hardly get dirty. When I first started using it, I tried putting Syrup through without dumping the filter cake and it was hard to get the second and third batches through. Once I learned to change each time, they go through fast. I love this filter. Any questions ask or PM me. It is much easier to use for my size operation than having a press in my opinion having used both.

heus
08-04-2019, 02:53 PM
BAP excellent thanks

BAP
08-04-2019, 08:08 PM
BAP excellent thanks
Glad to share my experience.

DrTimPerkins
08-05-2019, 07:17 AM
Glad to share my experience.

I'd second BAP's thoughts. We don't use our CDL vacuum filter a lot, mostly for smaller research projects or playing around with infusions when we need to filter (for us) small batches. When we do use it, it works great -- very fast with a decent vacuum pump (we use a small, cheap Harbor Freight pump for it). Results are similar to a filter press.

heus
08-05-2019, 11:42 AM
Thanks Dr Tim

johnallin
08-06-2019, 04:15 PM
I'd second BAP's thoughts...... When we do use it, it works great -- very fast with a decent vacuum pump (we use a small, cheap Harbor Freight pump for it). Results are similar to a filter press.

Dr. Tim, If I'm looking for crystal-clear "polished" syrup, can this possibly compete with a 5 bank 7½" press?

DrTimPerkins
08-07-2019, 07:44 AM
Dr. Tim, If I'm looking for crystal-clear "polished" syrup, can this possibly compete with a 5 bank 7½" press?

Both will produce excellent results if done correctly, and poor results if not. Both have a learning curve to them. For batches > 5 gal at a time, a press is probably better/faster. For smaller batches, a vacuum filter might be a bit simpler to deal with.

johnallin
08-07-2019, 09:04 AM
Both will produce excellent results if done correctly, and poor results if not. Both have a learning curve to them. For batches > 5 gal at a time, a press is probably better/faster. For smaller batches, a vacuum filter might be a bit simpler to deal with.

I think not running syrup through a pump (brass or pneumatic) could be a plus. One less thing to keep clean and one less thing to affect flavor?

fred
08-07-2019, 11:24 AM
I think not running syrup through a pump (brass or pneumatic) could be a plus. One less thing to keep clean and one less thing to affect flavor?

on the flip side you already own it and it would be VERY hard to trade for something different. I mean your pride and all. :laughing very hard:

johnallin
08-07-2019, 12:03 PM
on the flip side you already own it and it would be VERY hard to trade for something different. I mean your pride and all. :laughing very hard:

Ah come on Fred, there you go again stirring up the pot.

I bought it from Richard's Maple. Jenny always said you really liked the Leader Clear Press ...Now you won't take it on trade?

I'm keeping it anyway - because vacuum filters suck.

You're just jealous and your mom wears army boots. the Canadian.

For those who are wondering..this is an inside joke...it's all in good fun.

Jtheisen
02-05-2020, 11:01 AM
I am looking at the 7 inch Wes Fab & 9” Cdl vacuum. Pan on running 75 gal a season. Any comments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishman
02-10-2020, 07:47 PM
You will love the simplicity and the speed of filtering.