PDA

View Full Version : Re-bottling Syrup

wildoats
07-27-2019, 06:12 AM
As background, I am a small producer making about 30 gallons a year bottled in glass mason jars.
I didn't bottle enough pints this year. I wanted to open and re-heat some quarts in order to bottle some more pints.
Is it possible to reheat the syrup in a double pot and bring up to bottling temperature without having to filter again?
When I say double pot, I mean a bigger pot with boiling water in it and a smaller pot inside of it with the syrup. The idea being that I would eliminate heating the syrup up too hot which would require re-filtering it.
Thanks for your help

Ed R
07-27-2019, 01:57 PM
That's how I do it in small quantities and its how I walk thru all my customers that buy gallons and want to put it in smaller containers for the fridge and shelf. I tell them to bring it up to around 185 before refilling containers. As a precaution I always check density, rarely do I need to adjust, and I've never had niter form when indirectly heating the syrup to a higher temp to check density.

maple flats
07-27-2019, 07:23 PM
That's how I do it, but on a much larger scale. I empty a SS barrel into my water jacketed bottler (as long as the syrup is crystal clear) and I heat it to 185 and bottle without re-filtering. Just make sure not to heat it too long or too hot or the density can change and possibly niter can form.