PDA

View Full Version : Can i hot pack a 5 gallon pail?

john henry
07-15-2019, 12:55 PM
I have a customer who would like several 5 gallon pails of Maple Syrup. Can I hot pack them in the HDPE FDA approved buckets that LOWES has? I have used these buckets a lot for sap and for several day storage of finished syrup with no issues. Also what temperature should I heat the Syrup to? Thanks in advance for your help!

john henry
07-15-2019, 01:55 PM
I am really considering using the 2.5 gallon jugs like Sugar Bush Supplies sells also. Maybe this would be my best option?

Ed R
07-15-2019, 03:40 PM
I think the 2.5 gallon jugs have a more reliable closure when moving, jostling, or tipping the container. They store nicer on a shelve too. I leave them right in the cardboard box when I fill them. I always hot pack around 185.

n8hutch
07-15-2019, 04:36 PM
I hot pack 5 gallon pails all the time, use food grade 90 ml thickness and you will be fine, 185° I fill them full snap/tap the cover down over and tip them on their side, I've never had a top come off and I've never lost any to spoilage. Uline is a good source theres lots of them out there.

john henry
07-16-2019, 01:49 PM
Thanks for all your help on this, I plan to try some of the U-line buckets and also some of the 2.5 gallon containers from SBS.