PDA

View Full Version : 2x4 Drop Flue Sunrise vs. Smoky Lake vs. Badgerland

Ross
07-10-2019, 10:54 AM
I am looking for opinions about these 3 drop flue pans. They are all close to the same price.

The Badgerland and Smoky Lake Hybrid Hobby Pro are made with shiny 22 gauge and have superior craftsmanship. The Sunrise Spitfire has a reversible syrup pan with the draw off in the middle of the evaporator where it’s hotter, but the dividers are only spot welded. However, Sunrise will make me a custom unit with (9) 8” flues instead of the standard 5”. That’s going to be considerably more surface area than the others.

I am leaning towards the Sunrise because they are made here in Indiana but was hoping to see what you guys think.

Thanks.

mol1jb
07-10-2019, 11:00 AM
I assume you are going from a 2x4 flat pan to flue pan setup? What are your max taps? I'm sure you did but I'll say it anyways, that it is always good to think of the future if you have options to add more taps.

Ross
07-10-2019, 11:40 AM
I have a divided flat pan now and we are getting between 10 and 12 GPH. It's really hard to get an accurate boil rate count since we are not using a float box and it's difficult to keep a constant level.

We collected over 400 gallons off 40 taps last year but this year we will be close to 100 taps. I can't imagine ever getting over 200 taps since we are in farm country. This is just for fun but I have kids in sports and busy at work so I am looking for something that gets over 20 GPH.

Ed R
07-10-2019, 12:18 PM
I would buy local. Sunrise makes really nice equipment.

fred
07-10-2019, 01:23 PM
those around us that have bought smoky lake and sunrise recently are very disappointed post sale. customer service and quality are not what they were when they were smaller companies. no one i know of has a bagerland so cant give any input on that.
whenever you decide use a local guy that has knowledge and sevice to back it up, otherwise when you really need something you will be left high and dry

maple flats
07-10-2019, 05:25 PM
Badgerland is Smoky Lake's economy line.

mudr
07-10-2019, 07:06 PM
I have a badgerland 2x6, which yes is actually a line built by Smoky Lake. Communication was great, and they were very friendly and helpful. I've never had to use them for any warranty work, as nothing has gone wrong. Very pleased with the craftsmanship, though the features as lacking but not due to their skills but rather the price point the pans were designed for.

For example, there is no flue drain. There are 3 fewer flues and the flue pan is 42 inches rather than 48 in the main Smoky Lake pans. Again, it's an economy set of pans and will not speak poorly of them because the price was right.

That said, I do wish I would have paid for the SL pans looking back on it. But as a beginner the pans work great and they were very nicely priced.

claystroup
07-10-2019, 08:15 PM
I'm curious to how many gph you get out of your 2x6 badgerland pans. Have thought about buying a set in the future myself

Ross
07-10-2019, 08:33 PM
I'm curious what your 2x6 does, too. It's advertised at 20-25 but it seems like it should do better than that.

Fortunately all of my dealings with Sunrise and Smoky Lake have been very positive.

mol1jb
07-11-2019, 08:50 AM
I have a divided flat pan now and we are getting between 10 and 12 GPH. It's really hard to get an accurate boil rate count since we are not using a float box and it's difficult to keep a constant level.

We collected over 400 gallons off 40 taps last year but this year we will be close to 100 taps. I can't imagine ever getting over 200 taps since we are in farm country. This is just for fun but I have kids in sports and busy at work so I am looking for something that gets over 20 GPH.

Based on what you described I would look at a 2x6. That would keep your boil time around 3-4 hours a day, depending on how much sap you collect and how hard you run the evap. It would also be able to take on more taps if you ever increased size again. Another option would be to buy used 2x6 pans or evaporator. I know Bascom has multiple used pan sets and used evaporators in 2x6 size.

mudr
07-11-2019, 09:20 AM
Sprung for the badgerland 2x6, which as I recall wasnt that much more than the SL 2x4 price wise or gph. I think I get 25 normally but have pushed it to 30ish.

The reason for getting the badgerland 2x6 over the SL 2x4, despite similar outputs, is I can sell the badgerland 2x6 pans and put SL pans on it and increase surface area 50% for future expansion.

ddociam
07-12-2019, 07:04 AM
I have a Smokylake. 2x4 hybrid pan. I have a float box and can’t imagine life without one. We average 20 to 25 gallons per hour without any efficiency upgrades.
You might consider RO to cut down on boil time. I made a 4x40 last year and I’m adding a second one this year.
I’m planning to go from 250 to about 600 taps this year.
I have been very pleased with the service I have received from Smokylake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pdiamond
07-12-2019, 01:37 PM
I have the SL 2x4 raised flue pan set. my longest boil last season was 5 hours, just a little under 200 gal of sap. we got a late start for the season but plan on adding taps for 2020. Very satisfied with the unit. you do need lots of wood and have to keep feeding the fire about every 6 to 8 minutes. i do not have an ro system.

Bobber006
07-15-2019, 06:19 AM
Ross,
I believe there are 10 7in flues on a HO drop flue pan set from Smoky Lake. A 2x6 Badgerland drop flue pan set should do 30-35+ depending on the arch its on.

I have consistently gotten 12-14 gph on my current 2x4 Divided on Corsair arch(No forced air) from Smoky Lake. I have had nothing but good things to say about Smoky Lake since 2014.

Ross
07-16-2019, 09:31 AM
Thanks everyone for your input I really appreciate it.

Woody77
08-16-2019, 09:34 PM
I started the way you did and two seasons ago bought a smokey lake 2×6 raised flue setup. dad gets a solid 40gph I run it a bit hotter and harder than he does and get 50gph.
As for customer service the crew at smokey lake is awesom. And fyi they also own badgerland .

ddociam
10-01-2019, 11:20 AM
I know I’m getting into this kind of late but I own the 2x4 Hybrid dropflu pan from Smokey Lake. I have had no problems with it. Have had quite a bit of communication with them. They have been very responsive. There are busy times when I have had to wait but that was understandable. They seem like very good people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ross
02-08-2020, 09:38 PM
I ended up getting the Smoky Lake hybrid with flue drains added. We boiled for the first time today and averaged 18 GPH with natural draft. I blocked down the ramp a little bit more tonight and will see if it helps but we had a hard boil in all the dividers. There was just a spot in the middle of the flue section not completely going. Hopefully the adjustment will push some more heat up.

bmbmkr
02-09-2020, 08:17 AM
I'm curious what your 2x6 does, too. It's advertised at 20-25 but it seems like it should do better than that.

Fortunately all of my dealings with Sunrise and Smoky Lake have been very positive.

The Sunrise website has been down for at least 2 months now. Anyone heard from them?

Ross
02-09-2020, 09:02 AM
Was there about 2 weeks ago and they told me the arrangement they had with the person hosting it stopped. It didn't sound like they were planning on starting it again. You can still get to it by Googling "waybackmachine" and searching sunrise evaporator or calling them and they will mail you a new catalog.