PDA

View Full Version : Its a good day...

mol1jb
05-24-2019, 07:25 PM
...when the wood shed is full. Mine is attached to the kitchen and is large enough to fit 1.5 cord, more than years worth. Thats good cause we are growing a bit every year.

phil-t
05-25-2019, 05:30 AM
For sure. I have my wood for next year (split to size) and the wood for 2021 waiting to be split. It does feel good.

maple flats
05-25-2019, 07:44 AM
I've got about 3 years worth in logs, enough bucked for 2020 but will be splitting it before June is over. Right now I only have about half done for 2020.
After burning wood for 45 years to heat my house and since 2003 making syrup, I'm thinking maybe it's time for oil (or maybe propane) on the evaporator in a year or 2.

hookhill
05-25-2019, 08:07 AM
Yep nothing like full woodsheds. Sometimes we are behind the curve, like doing it in the fall. This spring we got all the house wood and sugarwood done by May 5th, around 12 cords. Now we can paint the house!

SeanD
05-25-2019, 08:29 AM
Ditto on the good feelings about getting the wood in - though for me that's the fall. The rounds sit under cover for about 12-18 months until then. Once sugaring is done, then there's cleanup, baseball, scouts, and everything else that was on hold for four months. Congrats on getting yours done. I'm sure I'm not the only one who takes pictures of the job once it's done. A well-stacked wood pile to the rafters is a beautiful thing.

buckeye gold
05-25-2019, 08:30 AM
Yep, always good to have the wood ready. I have enough split and dried left over from last year for all next year, but I will be cutting more as the summer goes on. A load or two here or there adds up. Usually my wood pile never get's touched until fall, but last year I took some to a local farm supply to sell for camp fires and smokers (all hickory) and now they are calling wanting wood. I took them a load a couple days ago. That's fine with me as I get a lot more for it bundled up for camp fires and smokers. They told me more people are coming to them and wanting my wood because it is dry and good hardwoods. I also put more wood in my bundles. My fear now is they may get too deep into my dry wood, but I like having the extra money for fun.

mol1jb
05-25-2019, 10:29 AM
I've got about 3 years worth in logs, enough bucked for 2020 but will be splitting it before June is over. Right now I only have about half done for 2020.
After burning wood for 45 years to heat my house and since 2003 making syrup, I'm thinking maybe it's time for oil (or maybe propane) on the evaporator in a year or 2.

Wow that is a lot of years of splitting wood. Not to mention splitting for an evaporator takes twice as long as the splits are 1/2 the size as the wood stove splits.

Yep nothing like full woodsheds. Sometimes we are behind the curve, like doing it in the fall. This spring we got all the house wood and sugarwood done by May 5th, around 12 cords. Now we can paint the house!

12 cord! That is a lot of splitting.

maple flats
05-26-2019, 08:13 AM
Yes, it's a lot of wood, but I have a Super Split, It is FAST, about 1 second to split, which helps when I split it all to wrist size. The RO helped a lot too and when I got it, I started getting slow on my wood prep. Before the RO I kept 2 years split and stacked ahead, so when I got the RO, I had no wood to cut and stack for about 5 years, just using up what I had already split and stacked. Then as I needed to do more I seemed to have less urgency and didn't prep as well. I now only need to have 1.5 cord split and stacked to last even the longest season, that only takes 4-5 hrs for my BIL and me to split and stack it if the weather is dry and cool. I don't do hot and muggy.

TapTapTap
05-27-2019, 05:30 AM
It would be satisfying to have at least completed my woodshed! Logs are sawed. Need to finish wife's chicken coop first. Woodshed and tank room addition scheduled for later this summer. Actually, it's more like a chicken palace than a coop. 2x6 rough cut pine framing too!