PDA

View Full Version : Auto shut off for gas engine

pls009
05-24-2019, 09:28 AM
I believe there is a thermostat that is available to use to shut your gas engine off so that you can shut your vacuum pump off when the temp drops - can anyone share with me what brand or model they use so I can purchase a couple of them. Would be a great time saver. Thanks - Paul

maple flats
05-24-2019, 02:52 PM
I just have it close a switch that shorts the spark.

Bricklayer
05-24-2019, 06:26 PM
I put one of the cheap 12v temp controllers from eBay on mine this year. I have 2 on my pump. 1 to turn on and off the 12v blower to keep pump cool. And the other to turn pump off when it gets to -3 degrees C.
Worked pretty good this year. But not so good when I wanted to start pump on my way to work before it was above freezing. So I turned it off and started pump in the morning. Then when I got home I turned the temp controller on. So it would shut off at night.
It’s just wired into the on off switch on side of motor. Temp controller has a relay built into it. Not sure what I wired it to heating or cooling. But it’s one or the other. Very simple

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-24V-110V-220V-STC-1000-Digital-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-w-NTC-Y9D4G/202665931927?var=&hash=item2f2fd4b497

MFarmall
01-23-2020, 06:56 PM
I have been thinking about adding a temp controller to my gas engine running my vacuum pump. Would have to have it on a 12 volt battery and wondering if any idea how long could run the controller before had to charge or change battery.
Manual start on motor and way to far back for electric to charge battery unless use generator.
Thanks for any help.

maple flats
01-23-2020, 07:28 PM
To clarify, my reply in post #2 was to shut the pump off if the tank got full. For the vacuum pump in regards to temp, I checked the forecast and only put in enough fuel to run until about 2 hrs after the temp got below 32F On that pump I had 2 tanks each 4.5 gal. The vacuum used 1/2 gal/hr and I used 2.5 gal cans to carry the gas. It seemed to work well for me. I generally fueled the last time of the day in mid evening, if the forecast showed it going below freezing in 6 hrs, I added 4 gal of gas to run out in 8 hrs.

Bruce L
01-24-2020, 11:27 AM
Would it not be hard on a gas engine to go from full bore working straight to off without any idle time? I always shut everything off vacuum pump first,then blowers on the arch and steam away,then lights in the sugar house,while I am locking up the generator idles down before I shut it off.

maple flats
01-24-2020, 06:16 PM
I have run gas Hondas for at least 15 years at operating speed until they run out of fuel with no harm.
however when an engine runs out of fuel it does not just stop all at once nor do I run them at full speed, the 2 I ran that way were run at about 2/3 full throttle, as they run out of fuel the spit and sputter a while, thus it is not really a sudden shut off..