PDA

View Full Version : Pump starting from phone

western mainer
05-14-2019, 05:14 PM
OK this is coming from someone that has a flip phone! What do I need to do to start a vacuum pump from a Phone? yes a newer phone, android phone? But what about the pump starting and being able to read whats its doing?
Thanks Brian

unc23win
05-14-2019, 10:22 PM
If I were looking to do that I'd talk to Clayton at MES.

wiam
05-14-2019, 10:59 PM
I have a WiFi switch. Brand name “sonoff”. I plan to hook it to a relay to turn my pump on/off from my phone.

mol1jb
05-15-2019, 06:54 AM
Depending on what your running some just use a temp switch. That keeps things simple

Tweegs
05-15-2019, 08:19 AM
There are a few ways to do it, but a fairly common approach would be:

You’d need wi-fi or at least a cell phone signal at the pump.
A microprocessor near the pump to handle communications.
Power supply to run the electronics, which could just be a battery.
Relay and contactor to control/power the pump.
A sensor, probably at the releaser, to read the vacuum level.
A service provider.
And you’d need an app on the phone to make it all work.

Chances are that someone has already developed a complete package to do just this sort of thing.
Couldn’t tell you where to go get one though.

Rockfallsmaple
05-15-2019, 09:53 AM
For something simple like starting a pump, monitoring one input and a temperature I would get a TempAlarm Dialer Pro FA-900E. This device is used mainly for monitoring temperatures at a remote location but it will also monitor a switch closure and it has the ability to control a relay. I use this device along with a "Home cellular base station" to monitor my cabin( I don't have a wired phone line). Next year I plan on using the switch input to monitor a sap tank level using a level switch. So if you have a wired phone line or Cell service at the pump location this could be used to start and stop it.

Biz
05-15-2019, 11:01 AM
Bosworth's SapCheck does this type of thing, might be overkill for your purposes.

https://www.thebosworthco.com/products/productm.php

western mainer
05-15-2019, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the input I'll be looking more in to this soon.
Brian

Biz
05-15-2019, 05:50 PM
Stop by my table if you are going to Maple Mania next month, we can talk. I may have something on display that you would be interested in.

Dave

western mainer
05-15-2019, 05:53 PM
I"ll be there as we are one of the tour stops!
Thanks Brian