PDA

View Full Version : SCAM Alert on Maple Trader Classifieds

MapleValley
05-13-2019, 01:09 PM
Hello,

Just wanted to leave this information here. I have some equipment listed on the maple trader classifieds. A particular individual has been trying to "buy" my equipment.
This is how his scam works: Basically he agrees to buy your equipment, sends you a fake cashier's check (with shipping included) and then wants you to send the shipping he included immediately to his "partner shippers." He actually sent me a check that looks legitimate. It has a real bank's logo on it with watermarks. I called the bank and they said the cashier's check number isn't in their system and that it is a fake.

He wanted me to send $1,600 to this fake shipping company, assuring me his cashier's check would deposit no problem. The funny thing is he never asked me what the weight of the equipment was, where it was coming from, etc. This equipment would actually cost about $300-$400 to send via LTL Freight but he instead blindly thought he would send $1,600 and I would just send the $1,600 of my own money right now to his fake shipper. Here is is info (although I'm sure it is all fake)

name: Michael Finalyson
email: fibincs@cyberservices.com (anything from cyberservices.com appears to be scammers)
phone: 586-701-2971
his "business" name: Shell Finance PLC

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
05-13-2019, 02:57 PM
happy that you exposed him

SeanD
05-13-2019, 08:13 PM
That's a pretty common scam on CL as well. The added insult and injury is that if you cash a fake cashier or bank check, the bank will hit you with penalties as well.

motowbrowne
05-13-2019, 08:50 PM
It's called check kiting if anyone wants to read up on the details of the scam.