PDA

View Full Version : Broken taps

maineboiler
05-09-2019, 07:01 AM
Last season I changed from metal 7/16 taps to plastic 5/16 to cause less trauma to the trees. I used these with buckets. Worked great until it came time to pull the taps and some of them were stuck and broke off. Now the stem part is imbedded in the tree. Not good. Any clues on how to prevent this ? Thanks

maple flats
05-09-2019, 08:49 AM
You likely set the taps too tight. If a plastic tap breaks off, just leave the broken part in the hole, the tree will grow over it better than if you try to dig it out, less harm to the tree.

buckeye gold
05-09-2019, 10:26 AM
The hole never grows shut, the tree just grows over it. It is not a big deal to leave the stub in the tree and being plastic it won't harm a saw blade if ever harvested. So don't sweat it.

mol1jb
05-09-2019, 11:07 AM
I too had this issue with a few taps I had set too far. After one broke off I made a tap puller out of a modified flat bar and didn't have any others break removing them this way.

Buddy 58
05-10-2019, 07:40 AM
I have had a few taps break off over the years and just be mad as hell about it . Then one day the light bulb went off:rolleyes: went and got my tapping drill and the rest is history ------ they drill out real easy . you might have to go just a little deeper but not much .

Bucket Head
05-10-2019, 09:59 AM
I would think an "easy-out" broken bolt extractor would back it out. And a hole is already there for it's insertion.

buckeye gold
05-10-2019, 11:13 AM
Yeah a tapping bit takes them right out. drill in about half way a nd reverse it or just drill it all they way out. I have had a few break and I drilled them out, but a friend of mine just leaves them if they break.

maineboiler
05-13-2019, 10:04 AM
Thanks Dave. I'll lighten up on the tapping mallet next season

maineboiler
05-13-2019, 10:08 AM
Thank you all. Good advice. Kind of late now to drill them out but I will remember that for next season-----