PDA

View Full Version : A time for education

Maple River Sugar
05-08-2019, 06:32 AM
This was my first year for making syrup. I jumped in with all hands and feet by buying the equipment and setting up 170 taps on bags/buckets. I have literally no maple trees on my property so I approached area farmers and property owners to tap on trade for syrup. I had been trying to reach my last property owner to settle up, I was finally able to get a hold of them and I was blown away with their compensation request. The request was $50 per tree, $50x15=$750 plus 1 container of syrup for each tree equaling 15 containers. After I digested the request and moved through my emotional ranges I made my phone call. In the end we settled on $1.60 a tap and some syrup, in addition we have established a repeat business relationship. I have realized in my area many property owners are not a tune to tapping agreements, although they are extremely happy when I hand them fresh maple syrup, one lady started to cry.
In the end staying calm and listening to the property owner and being willing to compromise to a degree I have 15 maple yard trees which are 2-3 taps each and throw 4% to tap for the near future.

I really appreciate the education I've gotten on this site.

DrTimPerkins
05-08-2019, 09:19 AM
If you agreed to that deal, I've got about 5,000 taps I'd like to rent to you. :lol:

Glad to hear you were able to do some educating and come to a more reasonable solution.