PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on syrup taste

heus
04-27-2019, 08:12 AM
In light of the recent thread regarding bulk syrup, I would like opinions on whether or not there is a difference in taste between syrup made with buckets/tubing, wood-fired/oil-fired/, ro/non-ro. Here is my opinion based on 10+ years of boiling with every one of these methods.
Is there a difference in taste between buckets and syrup made with tubing? In my case, my answer is no. I will concede that with tubing I have produced darker syrup, but in my opinion, and the opinion of most of my retail customers, that is a plus.
Is there a difference between wood fired and oil fired syrup? In my case, absolutely not. The only time I have ever seen a difference in taste is back when I was a kid boiling over an open fire and lots of ashes got into the syrup. This is a huge myth in my opinion.
Is there a difference in taste between ro'd and non-to'd syrup? In my experience, absolutely not. Now I have never concentrated over 12-14%, so I cannot speak to higher concentrated syrup.
I also believe that the biggest difference in taste between different producers has to do with soil content, % of sugars and reds, and attention to cleanliness.
Now I understand that everyone's experience is different, but these are my opinions based on my experience of making syrup with buckets, bags, gravity tubing, tubing on vacuum, non-ro, ro, wood-fired, and oil-fired.

Ghs57
04-27-2019, 09:06 AM
I agree on the open fire boiling. Adds a nice smoky flavor, which is OK when you are 15 yrs old. I've only boiled on wood fires, so no opinion there. My first year was on buckets, and I agree that the syrup was lighter, but I was using buffet pans on a wood stove back then, and never got an aggressive boil. I've been on tubing since then, and also on maple evaporators, and have not made light syrup since. Also this was my first season with RO, and I taste no difference.

As they say in the vineyard, it's the terroir that makes the flavor. Since we draw our raw ingredient from the same basic elements as the mighty grape, it seems natural that our flavors would reflect our local region. Maybe even more so, because the woods is generally not artificially fertilized. I love the fact that my syrup comes from trees I can see, walk among, touch, and take care of. They grow out of the rocks and swampy soil, same as me.

maple flats
04-27-2019, 12:48 PM
According to everything I've read on this subject, I go by the statement that professional taste testers (yes, there are professional taste testers) can not distinguish any difference between RO'd sap and non ro'd sap. However there needs to be some details that must be adhered to. First, the flues pan and syrup pan ratios must be correct for the sugar percentage attained in the RO. If up to 8-10% nothing needs to change, but as the concentration goes up from there the flue pan gets shorter and the syrup pan gets longer. As an extreme example the sugar operation in Eden, Vt goes to about 35% concentrate. There they have 7' x 20 evaporators (yes more than one, 2 now but in a couple of years they will have 4 side by side as they get close to their goal of 200,000 taps.). The flue pan is just the back 4' long, the rest is flat pan to give the syrup enough time to develop the proper flavor.
Not to any similar scale, back when I had new pans made for my arch, I changed the ratio. My old pans were a 3x2' long syrup pan and a 3' x 6' long flue pan. My new set, (because I was also getting an RO) I had them made as a 3' x 3' syrup pan and a 3' x 5' flue pan

Russell Lampron
04-27-2019, 03:00 PM
I've always been wood fired so I can't compare wood to oil. I have concentrated from 8% to 23% and haven't noticed any negative effect to the flavor as the concentration gets higher. I use air injection and there is no negative effect on flavor from that either. I have noticed that I get lighter syrup with concentration percentages below 15% and darker syrup above that, but no very dark.

My evaporator is a 2x6 raised flue with 2x2 syrup pan and 2x4 flue pan with 7" flues. I have an AUF/AOF arch under my pans. Most of my taps are red maples, about 90%, on high vacuum. My syrup has a unique taste that many have said is the best they've ever tasted. I give the credit for that to the red maples.

Ultimatetreehugger
04-27-2019, 04:05 PM
I do notice flavor differences from different woods and processes. In fact I find flavor differences from day to day in the same sugar house making the same grade as yesterday. When I say this I'm not making a judgment on RO'd syrup vs. Straight syrup but commenting on the fact that both flavors are good, but both flavors are different.

log cabin luke
04-27-2019, 08:37 PM
This is one of those questions that most everyone has a different opinion on and few like to talk about. I have found that in general sugar makers that I talk to that use RO say that there is not a difference and the ones that do not use RO say there is a difference.

I have never had a syrup made on an oil fired rig that I liked to much

syrup through an RO and boiled on wood is usually okay in my experience

syrup that had been boiled straight up with no RO on wood is what I prefer.

I sell all my syrup retail and sample at every festival I go to. I have literally sat behind my table and watched well over 10,000 people taste my syrup over about the last 7 years. I know this because 5,000 sample cups come in a case and I have gone through more than 2 cases.

Many of these customers talk about all there different syrup experiences and taste is always the main talking point. I have found that on average only about 2 or 3 people a year do not like the syrup. These are usually people that have already told me that they do not like syrup and I try to convert them. Most of the time it works but not always.
Many customers have told me that its the best syrup they ever had.

It's not just about what fuel used ,oil or wood or RO or not RO. The size of the rig also makes a difference. I have talked to many small produces and the smaller rigs just do not make darker syrup as well as a large one. My rig is 4.5'x 22' it has 2 flue pans the syrup pan is in the middle. I have a parallel flow preheater on it along with another type of preheater which I invented that works great. My evaporator is the only one like it in the world I guarantee. It makes just about the most flavorful syrup a person could make. It also boils faster than any other evaporator for the same size fire box. I e-mailed Dr. Tim about it with out to much detail as I was thinking about a patent but he said he focuses more on sap production than evap design. Right now I just keep it to myself. the design is solid and would work scaled down as well.

After selling syrup for about 4 years I really wanted to be able to make darker syrup because it sells so much better. I started specifically trying to make darker syrup. One method is batch draw offs. I will usually draw off 9-15 gallons of syrup all at once. I wait until almost my whole syrup pan is syrup. I never clean the syrup pan during the season and I filter the syrup through 2 layers of cotton which works way better than felt filters.

A lot of people say that syrup is syrup but there are a lot of different methods that effect the taste that seems not to be discussed to much. I believe this is because we all know that sugaring is hard work and every producer is just trying to do there best and make a living for them and there family's. We all want to promote pure maple syrup so putting down anothers syrup would be in poor taste. Seeings how this is a forum for producers ,and consumers do not frequent the site I will say that there is no chance that RO syrup tastes as good as syrup boiled from straight up sap on a wood fired rig.

Now most producers do not retail all there syrup. If selling bulk there is no reason not to use RO. Plus who has time or energy to cut 35 cord of wood a year just to make 700 gallons of syrup.

Sugar Bear
04-27-2019, 10:52 PM
Tapping the same trees my great, great and great grandfathers tapped.

That is just some serious stuff. No joke and thanks for your interesting input on a interesting topic !

I too boiled as a kid in the early 1970's and I don't think it was the ash so much as the fact that the sides of our pans were down in the fire creating a big bad burn line at the top of the sap level in the pan. We had a block arc and a fairly decent brick chimney.

Today I boil with full size steam pans with the sides kept up out of the fire with angle iron. I move and draw it well and get a very high quality tasting syrup from medium to dark.

I am curious about what your feeling, ( or anybody else's) is about how "reds" ( I assume you mean Red Maples ) effect the taste or quality of syrup. Negative taste, positive or indifferent?

Hop Kiln Road
04-28-2019, 06:47 AM
Hey, anybody who wants to stop by and sample some 2019 sugar maple syrup and some red maple syrup of the same grade, 68% light transmittance, and the same density, let me know.

And I will add I go out to Oregon in the fall when the new pinot noir crops are unveiled. Same grape, strings of vineyards a couple miles apart and it is a huge tourist event. Typically it is $5 to $10 to sample the new crop at each vineyard. And they encourage and celebrate the difference.

Sugar Bear
04-28-2019, 07:54 AM
750 Sugar Maple Taps

Soooo... when I read the threads where people are complaining about strange things happening to their syrup and or sap during mid season I frequently notice that in their description lines at the bottom of their commentary is a line that says something like ... " 150 Sugars 450 Reds". I don't seem to see the guys/ladies with "all sugars" complain about their sap or syrup doing funky crazy butted things nearly as much. Aside from the "Fat Lady" singing at the end of the season at which time all trees just go their way.

I do see strange things like the guys with 750 sugar maple taps offer samples of Red Maple syrup of the same grade as some Sugar Maple Syrup.

maple flats
04-28-2019, 08:18 AM
I used to tap only Sugar maples, until about 4 seasons ago. I gradually added some reds, This year I had about 50% reds around the sugarhouse but no reds on my lease. That gave me just under 20% reds. I think it has improved an already great taste. My customers like both.

PerryFamily
04-28-2019, 08:20 AM
Not sure this is the case, pretty sure Coarse in Whitingham VT has the same rig from leader. Double flue pans double syrup pans ..... and double the headache in my opinion. I know he used to boil his bucket sap separate from tubing... RO with wood fire. I noticed his rig was for sale , be curious which way he goes.

My humble opinion is flavor has more to do with your region, how fast or slow you process that sap and the general cleanliness of your setup and equipment.

This is one of those questions that most everyone has a different opinion on and few like to talk about. I have found that in general sugar makers that I talk to that use RO say that there is not a difference and the ones that do not use RO say there is a difference.

I have never had a syrup made on an oil fired rig that I liked to much

syrup through an RO and boiled on wood is usually okay in my experience

syrup that had been boiled straight up with no RO on wood is what I prefer.

I sell all my syrup retail and sample at every festival I go to. I have literally sat behind my table and watched well over 10,000 people taste my syrup over about the last 7 years. I know this because 5,000 sample cups come in a case and I have gone through more than 2 cases.

Many of these customers talk about all there different syrup experiences and taste is always the main talking point. I have found that on average only about 2 or 3 people a year do not like the syrup. These are usually people that have already told me that they do not like syrup and I try to convert them. Most of the time it works but not always.
Many customers have told me that its the best syrup they ever had.

It's not just about what fuel used ,oil or wood or RO or not RO. The size of the rig also makes a difference. I have talked to many small produces and the smaller rigs just do not make darker syrup as well as a large one. My rig is 4.5'x 22' it has 2 flue pans the syrup pan is in the middle. I have a parallel flow preheater on it along with another type of preheater which I invented that works great. My evaporator is the only one like it in the world I guarantee. It makes just about the most flavorful syrup a person could make. It also boils faster than any other evaporator for the same size fire box. I e-mailed Dr. Tim about it with out to much detail as I was thinking about a patent but he said he focuses more on sap production than evap design. Right now I just keep it to myself. the design is solid and would work scaled down as well.

After selling syrup for about 4 years I really wanted to be able to make darker syrup because it sells so much better. I started specifically trying to make darker syrup. One method is batch draw offs. I will usually draw off 9-15 gallons of syrup all at once. I wait until almost my whole syrup pan is syrup. I never clean the syrup pan during the season and I filter the syrup through 2 layers of cotton which works way better than felt filters.

A lot of people say that syrup is syrup but there are a lot of different methods that effect the taste that seems not to be discussed to much. I believe this is because we all know that sugaring is hard work and every producer is just trying to do there best and make a living for them and there family's. We all want to promote pure maple syrup so putting down anothers syrup would be in poor taste. Seeings how this is a forum for producers ,and consumers do not frequent the site I will say that there is no chance that RO syrup tastes as good as syrup boiled from straight up sap on a wood fired rig.

Now most producers do not retail all there syrup. If selling bulk there is no reason not to use RO. Plus who has time or energy to cut 35 cord of wood a year just to make 700 gallons of syrup.

Sugar Bear
04-28-2019, 08:43 AM
Pretty sure this relates well to this thread.

I was having a discussion a few weeks ago with a friend. It was about the troubled times we live in now. I told him that if there are 5 billion people on this planet then there are 5 billion different opinions of what "Fair" is. That's OK I guess and the way it should be.

Those same 5 billion people each have their own opinion of what maple syrup taste like.

Sugar Bear
04-28-2019, 08:45 AM
I used to tap only Sugar maples, until about 4 seasons ago. I gradually added some reds, This year I had about 50% reds around the sugarhouse but no reds on my lease. That gave me just under 20% reds. I think it has improved an already great taste. My customers like both.

Now that is how we answer questions.

Woody77
04-28-2019, 08:47 AM
I am lucky to be in a small little pocket in Michigan that has some great soil. It makes some of the best syrup period. it's nothing I do or anything a few of my fellow sugarers do. We all have different setups,diffrent collecting methods, exc. But the syrup is just good. We've got customers from Hawaii, Alaska ,new York,Vermont and canada and every where else that tell us it's great.
When people ask me what I do I tell them it's like cheese and wine and hopps. It's where you are .
Other things do contribute a little like cook time . The longer the sugar is under heat the more the flavor develops and changes.
Dr. Tim what do you think ?

Sugar Bear
04-28-2019, 09:13 AM
I am lucky to be in a small little pocket in Michigan that has some great soil. It makes some of the best syrup period. it's nothing I do or anything a few of my fellow sugarers do. We all have different setups,diffrent collecting methods, exc. But the syrup is just good. We've got customers from Hawaii, Alaska ,new York,Vermont and canada and every where else that tell us it's great.
When people ask me what I do I tell them it's like cheese and wine and hopps. It's where you are .
Other things do contribute a little like cook time . The longer the sugar is under heat the more the flavor develops and changes.

I'll bet my char broiled pans back in the 70's would have laid waste to your soil rich sap.

Sugar Bear
04-28-2019, 10:12 AM

By the way here in the lower Hudson Valley the sugar maples tend to thrive in the well drained, rocky, little soil of the lower to mid slope sections of the Hudson Highlands ( a small widespread range of mountains extending from near sea level to about 1700 feet in elevation) . They do not do well in the most soil rich flat areas of the lower river valley intervals. Red Maples will do better in those areas. That is evident by the Swamp Maple which I refer to as a Red Stray. You will not catch a sugar maple in a swamp dead or alive. This area is an exemplar for the optimum location of Sugar Maple habitat. More so then anywhere else I have observed.

Most of the sugaring that takes place in Vermont takes place on the lower to mid slope sections of the mountains, not down in the fertile soil rich intervals of the Champlain Valley were there are fewer sugar maple groves and much more fertile soils.

But cheers to letting people think how they think syrup becomes "The Best"

The Bear

log cabin luke
04-28-2019, 11:52 AM
Not sure this is the case, pretty sure Coarse in Whitingham VT has the same rig from leader. Double flue pans double syrup pans ..... and double the headache in my opinion. I know he used to boil his bucket sap separate from tubing... RO with wood fire. I noticed his rig was for sale , be curious which way he goes.

My humble opinion is flavor has more to do with your region, how fast or slow you process that sap and the general cleanliness of your setup and equipment.

I know the rig from coarse maple. My rig is nothing like it. There is no one in the world with the same evap as mine. I invented it. There are multiple flue pans on different levels and my special preheater that no one else has. I welded the entire arch my self and raised the 43 foot stack with a little help from my friends.It took 3 years to make and put all together in my spare time. Its one of a kind and makes great syrup. The sap boil for a ridiculously long time. It takes 270 gallons of sap to fill. I love running it.I can walk under the back flue pan if I crouch down a little.

Wannabe
04-28-2019, 02:10 PM
Surely batch boiled syrup made in a flat pan is the best tasting syrup there is.

Pdiamond
04-28-2019, 03:29 PM
Thought I would put in my 2 cents worth. No matter where you are, all the syrup producers make is good, and better than anything you can buy from the store that is mostly processed corn syrup.

Ultimatetreehugger
04-28-2019, 04:32 PM
Thought I would put in my 2 cents worth. No matter where you are, all the syrup producers make is good, and better than anything you can buy from the store that is mostly processed corn syrup.

Couldn't have said it better!

PerryFamily
04-28-2019, 04:41 PM
I know the rig from coarse maple. My rig is nothing like it. There is no one in the world with the same evap as mine. I invented it. There are multiple flue pans on different levels and my special preheater that no one else has. I welded the entire arch my self and raised the 43 foot stack with a little help from my friends.It took 3 years to make and put all together in my spare time. Its one of a kind and makes great syrup. The sap boil for a ridiculously long time. It takes 270 gallons of sap to fill. I love running it.I can walk under the back flue pan if I crouch down a little.

Cool!
I must have misunderstood and thought it sounded similar to the Coarse rig

log cabin luke
04-28-2019, 06:32 PM
Cool!
I must have misunderstood and thought it sounded similar to the Coarse rig

No worries. I suppose it sounds similar but it is very different. I was obsessed with building it for 3 years. Its a lot of fun to run. I get some serious exercise running around the thing in a normal ten hour boil. I find the only down side is to get to the other side of the syrup pan I have to travel more than 20 feet which is a dash when its over flowing.

GeneralStark
04-28-2019, 08:03 PM
Everything a maple producer does, from the tap to the bottle, affects the flavor of their syrup. And we all think ours is the best. Flavor is extremely subjective and there are so many variables that affect maple syrup flavor. While it would be possible to compare various production methods with sap from one woods, it would be impossible to compare the results to other sugarbushes and operations. Many producers, including myself, have changed production methods through the years as has been mentioned. Many report little to no change in overall flavor.

When I hear people say that they don't like syrup that was made with an ro, or with an oil-fired rig, or with defoamer etc... I have to wonder.. Is it the flavor they don't like, or is it the idea of whatever it is that puts them off? The mind is a powerful thing, and for those that prefer their own personal intuition over rational analysis of facts, they may not be able to get beyond whatever they have convinced themselves of.

Different producers have different perspectives as well. A bulk producer may want to be set up to make as much light syrup as they can to maximize profit. A retail producer of value added products, like myself, may want to make a variety of grades and flavors of syrup for packing in jugs and for making products with. Two different producers may also have very different standards as well. Once again, many variables.

In my opinion, all maple syrup is different for many reasons and this should be celebrated and not seen as a way to belittle other producers and their products. Myself and my customers are the ultimate judges of my syrup, as well as the local agricultural fair. The fact that people keep coming back for more is all I need to let me know that my syrup and products are good. The blue ribbons help as well.

Kh7722
04-29-2019, 05:04 AM
Well that about sums it up,not much to add. Well said General

Everything a maple producer does, from the tap to the bottle, affects the flavor of their syrup. And we all think ours is the best. Flavor is extremely subjective and there are so many variables that affect maple syrup flavor. While it would be possible to compare various production methods with sap from one woods, it would be impossible to compare the results to other sugarbushes and operations. Many producers, including myself, have changed production methods through the years as has been mentioned. Many report little to no change in overall flavor.

When I hear people say that they don't like syrup that was made with an ro, or with an oil-fired rig, or with defoamer etc... I have to wonder.. Is it the flavor they don't like, or is it the idea of whatever it is that puts them off? The mind is a powerful thing, and for those that prefer their own personal intuition over rational analysis of facts, they may not be able to get beyond whatever they have convinced themselves of.

Different producers have different perspectives as well. A bulk producer may want to be set up to make as much light syrup as they can to maximize profit. A retail producer of value added products, like myself, may want to make a variety of grades and flavors of syrup for packing in jugs and for making products with. Two different producers may also have very different standards as well. Once again, many variables.

In my opinion, all maple syrup is different for many reasons and this should be celebrated and not seen as a way to belittle other producers and their products. Myself and my customers are the ultimate judges of my syrup, as well as the local agricultural fair. The fact that people keep coming back for more is all I need to let me know that my syrup and products are good. The blue ribbons help as well.

bill m
04-29-2019, 07:11 AM
Excellent post GeneralStark! I agree that syrup from one producer to the next can taste different but I don't believe anyone, with any degree of accuracy, can tell what production method was used to produce a sample of syrup in a blind taste test.

Maplewalnut
04-29-2019, 08:09 AM

Nothing to add, very well said. this post touches on everything from production to marketing to ones own perception. Everyone is different and the variables that come into play make the syrup you make yours! Find a market (even if its only your kitchen table) and enjoy.

Trapper2
04-29-2019, 11:40 AM
Never met a Maple syrup that I didn't love.
I really have never bought a jar of syrup, but I have traded a few times and received as a gift a few times and I loved it all equally. I did receive a jar from a hobbyist this year from Connecticut that in my opinion had a hint of vanilla flavor to it.
I myself batch boil on a 36 X 42 flat pan which usually cooks for the better part of 2 days straight before doing a draw off. Even with that process, sometimes I get a remarkably light syrup.20061 20062

DrTimPerkins
04-29-2019, 12:56 PM
Firstly, the General's post was perfect. No further comment needed.

Secondly, I wish I could say that. One of the aspects of this job that is quite pleasant is getting to taste great syrup. One of the aspects that is not good is tasting not so good syrup. Oftentimes the best way to troubleshoot off-flavor issues in samples people send us is by tasting...not all of those experiences are fun.

ennismaple
04-29-2019, 05:08 PM

I agree with Dr Tim on this one. I've made syrup I didn't love - and that's when we shut down, opened the valves and called it a season. If I won't put my name on it I won't make it!

I do love all syrup - from the lightest Golden Delicate to the darkest Very Dark Strong I enjoy it all! I have a preference when given a choice but I'll never say no to real maple syrup!

Sugar Bear
04-29-2019, 05:19 PM
Firstly, the General's post was perfect. No further comment needed.

Secondly, I wish I could say that. One of the aspects of this job that is quite pleasant is getting to taste great syrup. One of the aspects that is not good is tasting not so good syrup. Oftentimes the best way to troubleshoot off-flavor issues in samples people send us is by tasting...not all of those experiences are fun.

Seems to be they could be a tad bit dangerous as well!

log cabin luke
05-01-2019, 07:01 AM

This thread was started by the original author Heus asking opinions on taste. The following is my opinion ,all be it a strong one.

In 2004 when I was building my log cabin in the Maine wilderness my closest neighbor Jim who was boiling sap on a fifty five gallon drum trekked over and invited me for pancakes. The next day I showed up at his place for breakfast. He had a quart mason jar filled mostly with syrup he just made. I say mostly because the bottom quarter was sticks ,bark and moths. I poured it out onto my plate sticks and all and tried it. MAPLE SYRUP is actually good I exclaimed in my head! Previous to this moment the syrup I had always had was pure maple syrup from a grocery store. Which never had much of any flavor . That sent me on my journey to strive to make a living producing and selling maple syrup. When I started out I thought that I wanted an RO because that's what most people use.Another neighbor told me not to use it that I would not like the taste.Seeings how he had 50+ years experience making syrup I figured I would have to check that out. I then went on a mission to find out what really effects maple flavor. Over the course of the next couple years I made it a point to try syrup from many different producers.

To Make a long story short I now cut about 35 cord a year to make my syrup which is close to my full time living. I don't cut all that wood when I could use RO and only cut 7 cord because I am a head case.

I am the one that gets laughed at ever time I tell a producer face to face that I cut 35 cord a year to make my syrup. I do all my laughing on the inside because I know from experience if I mention taste they get mad.

I have had this conversation with Sam and Bruce Bascom. Bruce insist that he likes syrup that has been mixed from many different producers. I find that a lot of people say that single source is best. The different ways of making syrup taste different are probably endless.

berkshires
05-01-2019, 02:30 PM
I have had this conversation with Sam and Bruce Bascom. Bruce insist that he likes syrup that has been mixed from many different producers. I find that a lot of people say that single source is best. The different ways of making syrup taste different are probably endless.

It stands to reason that a wholesaler would want a product that is consistent, first and foremost.

The rest of us want the best product we can make, or at least the best we can make within the confines of time and $$.

GO