PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing? Caged Tank to Evaporator, Gravity Feed

buck3m
11-07-2007, 07:30 AM
I bought a home-made evaporator, and picked up one of those caged poly tanks to store sap in. My plan is to plumb from the tank to the pan with a valve that I monitor and adjust as needed. Does that sound reasonable, or should I incorporate a float someway? I should be able to boil off about 35 gallons an hour or so.

Mainly what I'd like some advice on is how to plumb that big plastic fitting down so I can trickle sap into the pan. What size/type is that tank fitting?

Thanks!

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
11-07-2007, 08:04 AM
Reduce Down To 1/2 Inch Pipe And Install A Ball Valve To Do Your Final Adjustment

Rich

buck3m
11-07-2007, 08:24 AM
Thanks. Anyone know what type of fitting would reduce it down, and where I'd find such a critter? What type of threads are on those caged tank fittings?

Jim Brown
11-07-2007, 08:52 AM
Buck; The ones I have are 2 1/2 NPT, and we reduce them down to 1"

Jim

325abn
11-07-2007, 09:33 AM
I have a caged tank that I use for my bulk tank. I pump up from the caged tank to a 10 Gal feed tank that is gravity fed into the pan via a ball valve.

Sugarmaker
11-07-2007, 09:33 AM
Buck3m,
We "trickled" in sap to a 3 x 10 for years. The old float had given out and we just watched the flow and the sap depth and adjusted accordingly. We we firing with fuel oil and had a lot of time to watch this flow. Firing with wood takes time and distractions can be disastrous. I still watch the float and sap level even with a float box. S___T happens.

Regards,
Chris

buck3m
11-07-2007, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the help, folks. After a couple of hours research on the internet, and two trips to measure the valve, I determined that my Schutz tank had a S60X6 valve on it.

I found an adaptor (2'' NPT Male Adapter X S60X6 Female Buttress C/W seal) to 2" NPT from Stainlez.com after another hour of searching.

From there I think I can figure it out.

Thanks again.