PDA

View Full Version : 275 gallon totes.

jiminpa
04-23-2019, 09:02 PM
what do you look for when buying used ones? these had cooking oil in them, will it leach into the sap? I figure i'll have to clean them out good, and tips on what to use? thanks!

Mead Maple
04-24-2019, 04:44 AM
Jim,
I bought a bunch of IBC totes as I use the frames to stack firewood into. I can then move wood into my basement with the tractor via a small overhead door.
Question was, what do I do with all these bladders. I put the word out and people were being them way cheaper than a conventional storage tank. Trouble they were running into was cleaning. These had a one time use at a baby formula factory holding organic fattening product. Extremely greasy and oily. A friend bought one and had no luck cleaning the tank. He brought it to me at work where I was able to use our hot pressure washer with water upwards of 212 or hotter degrees. We also used some mild plain bleach in the mix and after a solid half hour and a cold rinse with the garden hose, they came out spotless and orderless.
I used one myself this year and used the same method. Absolutely no residual issues whatsoever. Sap was crystal clear with no taste issues either.
Key here that I want to reiterate is the fact of how long I spent cleaning these to bring them to what I call new. The water being at boiling with the bleach was able to cut through and residual material left in the tank. I have a supplier so will be buying more of these for next year to set up my lines. This year we collected buckets and use the tote as a sledge. Hope this helps!
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190424/0ee64e520bb98c2d77e76b6d0e5e2738.jpg
Was able to find spigot set up at the hardware store that I used to make a draw system to go right into my preheater pan.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190424/bd9f04ee7a07e5f2a818035285d4633c.jpg
Set it up on pallets to gravity feed.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190424/1b8bef755763dc2c5ee013ea29cd9384.jpg
In the back of my truck in the garage kept the sap in a cold area out of the sun.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190424/7619131c01b892a5e544bff0ab315106.jpg
Final rinsing out. Note- when full these tanks have a ton of pressure behind the main valve!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mead Maple
04-24-2019, 04:46 AM
Also forgot the great use they are as firewood crates to move with a tractor or skid steer!
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190424/7d7a7d56c65903a3e244376e7f443144.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190424/c5533c097b6126c71af93fe168f510dd.jpg

maple flats
04-24-2019, 08:27 PM
Too late, you have already been bit!

Mead Maple
04-25-2019, 07:03 AM
Too late, you have already been bit!

That is the understatement of the century flats. My wife being the first to point it out!

jiminpa
04-26-2019, 09:45 PM
thanks folks! I found some that had wine in them.. will have to try this cleaning out!

Woody77
04-28-2019, 08:52 AM
I cut a larger flap in the top of my toats so I can get in and clean if I need to that helps a ton.

Zucker Lager
04-28-2019, 11:15 AM
thanks folks! I found some that had wine in them.. will have to try this cleaning out!

I use HDPE 55 gallon drums for sap storage that had wine in them I now know that the "white wine" barrels clean out and the smell goes away but the "red wine" barrels hang on to that smell one barrel I have still has it after 4 years trying everything to clean it including a complete fill with bleach / water and soak for almost a week. JFYI Jay

UB29
10-20-2019, 05:30 AM
Mead,
Do you remember where you got the reducing fitting at the tank outlet? I just bought a couple of Mauser totes with what looks like some kind of spin tight threads on the valve outlet. Definitely not IPS or NPT threads.
Thanks, Bill

buckeye gold
10-20-2019, 06:52 AM
I use HDPE 55 gallon drums for sap storage that had wine in them I now know that the "white wine" barrels clean out and the smell goes away but the "red wine" barrels hang on to that smell

I have found the same thing. The smell never leaves, i open them and look now. I used one for overflow and I never noticed anything different about my syrup in those batches. I done the same thing with bleach with the same results. There can't be much residue from the wine. Just goes to show there is nothing like new barrels. I only use barrels for temporary holding of overflow. The sap is seldom in them for more than a couple hours, as I boil that off first then start working my tote, that was bought new.

maple flats
10-20-2019, 10:49 AM
The only totes I ever used originally had one of the following in them and I got them from that user: Pure vanilla extract, apple juice concentrate, white grape juice concentrate, canola oil or Safflower oil. I never tried any others. Then I used each from 2-3 seasons and then sold them to a local horse farmer who used them to haul water for their horses.

n8hutch
10-20-2019, 02:28 PM
Mead,
Do you remember where you got the reducing fitting at the tank outlet? I just bought a couple of Mauser totes with what looks like some kind of spin tight threads on the valve outlet. Definitely not IPS or NPT threads.
Thanks, Bill

Your most likely looking at Buttress treads, Google search Buttress to Npt adapter. The Pik and shovel in newport vt was stocking them, they are a CDL store, you could try them.

Mead Maple
10-20-2019, 07:26 PM
Garden hose bulkhead fitting. I got mine right ACE Hardware. I think could be bought just about anywhere and offered in many different sizes.

TrentonMaple
12-27-2019, 07:52 AM
I used them for sap storage for several years. As others have mentioned, they have some quirks. I've moved on to using a stainless bulk dairy tank.

For me, the biggest problem was cleaning them. Mine originally had olive oil in them, & it took me forever to get the old, gooey rancid crud out from them. Keep in mind, (unless you alter it) you are cleaning this thing all through a 9" opening at the top. I ended up rigging a scrub brush on a mop handle bent like a hockey stick to scrub out the corners. It took a huge amount of dish detergent & hot water to finally get it clean.

For fittings, you'll want to find a Buttress-to-NPT or garden hose adapter. They can be found online.

Do not rely on the built in valve. Use a proper gate valve after the Buttress adapter. The ones molded into the outlet will seize up or leak.

These tanks have no temperature buffering at all. If you leave it half full of sap during a cold snap, you will have a giant ice cube. That can be very frustrating. I used heat tape spiralled around the valve to keep that operational.

Be very particular about what they had in them before. Food grade materials obviously, but I wouldn't buy one that had garlic, or some other strong flavoring. The ideal contents would be vanilla, or maybe corn syrup. Trust your nose.

Mead Maple
12-29-2019, 07:36 AM
I found the one that I used specifically for sap had just a sugar based product used for the making of baby formula. Rinsed our like nothing

I did give a bladder to a friend that had fat content in it and was super oily. I used a commercial grade pressure washer with the capability to reach above 180 degrees Fahrenheit. That was the ticket with dish soap, then cold rinse and it was spotless. Not many folks have access to that but it will cut through and sanitize all at the same time

HillsideMaple
12-31-2019, 06:14 AM
I looked for food grade when I bought mine. Ended up getting them from a guy that worked ad a large brewery. They had food grade additive in them and were all cleaned out from the brewery. I ended up cutting a hole in the top to fit a 5 gallon pail, this makes the totes easier to clean. I'm able to reach in with a bulk tank brush and scrub it well.

Pdiamond
12-31-2019, 07:29 PM
I got a manhole size cover from snyder industries. You just cut the opening in the tote and then screw the cover onto the tote. the cover itself has a large manhole size opening or you can use the six inch center opening, works real well for me.

Mead Maple
01-01-2020, 07:29 PM
I got a manhole size cover from snyder industries. You just cut the opening in the tote and then screw the cover onto the tote. the cover itself has a large manhole size opening or you can use the six inch center opening, works real well for me.

Great idea, what did that run your roughly?

western mainer
01-02-2020, 03:47 PM
How can i go from the 2 inch npt thread to 2 inch pvc?
Thanks Brian

maple flats
01-02-2020, 04:19 PM
If you mean 2" glue PVC, just go to either Lowe's or Home depot, they carry an adapter to do that, if you mean to 2" flexable PVC, go to a larger plumbing store and get a pipe thread to insert adapter. The insert end will not fit easily until you get it turned down by someone who has a lathe. If you go that route have them make to starting end slightly smaller and the end as the pipe is fully inserted slightly larger that the pipe I.D., then push it on and use a SS band clamp.

western mainer
01-02-2020, 04:27 PM
Ok thanks I'll try home depot
Brian

Pdiamond
01-02-2020, 07:11 PM
Mead Maple
I believe it was twenty five or twenty six dollars. I'll try to find the information and part number if you want it, let me know.
Pat

Mead Maple
01-03-2020, 08:48 PM
I think it would be great to know. At that price it is very affordable and might help other folks who have these tanks available to them but not the means to clean one with a hot pressure washer. Pass along when you can, we all love having options!

Trapper2
01-17-2020, 02:11 PM
Yes, I also would like to know about the manhole cover. I have some totes available that had vinegar in them but I've been hesitant to get them as cleaning the corners and top after the season seems like it would be a very tough task.

Pdiamond
01-17-2020, 08:16 PM
I am sorry guys, I've been sick and I kind of forgot about it. Following is the information; I believe it was $25.00 or $27.00.
Snyder Industries, LLC
520 11th st
Sheldon, Ia. 51201
Ph 402-467-5221
Part number 60038 Name: Lid 16" w/ring w/4" vent

Trapper2
01-24-2020, 06:09 AM
I am sorry guys, I've been sick and I kind of forgot about it. Following is the information; I believe it was $25.00 or $27.00.
Snyder Industries, LLC
520 11th st
Sheldon, Ia. 51201
Ph 402-467-5221

Thank you Sir. Here's the link.

https://www.plasticwatertanks.com/search.aspx?search=60038

michiganphil
01-24-2020, 08:34 AM
Mead,
Thanks, Bill

IBC totes are made with a few different thread sizes and types. Here is a link on how to determine what type you have.
http://www.frankberg.nl/ibc-valve-thread-size.html

After determining what type size you have, it's pretty easy to find an adapter on-line. I bought camlock adapters for my totes so I can connect them directly to my pumps and RO.

kingOFgEEEks
01-24-2020, 09:22 AM
Just chiming in to echo - if you can get one that had an easier to clean product in it, it will be a lot easier.

I have one, which had some kind of corn sweetener in it. That was pretty easy to get clean - fill and flush a few times, then scrub a little.

I'm contemplating cutting the top this year. My thought was to cut a 5 gallon bucket in half, scribe it on the tank, then nest it down in. Would pop right out for filling and cleaning.

Goggleeye
01-24-2020, 07:02 PM
Most of mine had safflower lecithin which has virtually no odor and they cleaned very well. A good squirt of Dawn and a couple cups of bleach pressure washed and rinsed make them near spotless.

82cabby
01-31-2020, 09:16 PM
Snyder Industries, LLC
520 11th st
Sheldon, Ia. 51201
Ph 402-467-5221

That looks really helpful! How exactly does it attach to the tote? From the drawing they have it looks like there is a ring that mounts to the tank that the 16 inch lid screws into. Is it something like that?

Mead Maple
02-01-2020, 08:29 PM
Mead,
Thanks, Bill

Bill,
I’m sorry I never replied to this. I ended up getting a garden hose size bulk head fitting at my hardware store. So what happened at that point is using a step drill to the appropriate size. I kept the actual cap on the tank and put the fitting in

TonyMo
02-03-2020, 07:38 AM
Most of mine had safflower lecithin which has virtually no odor and they cleaned very well. A good squirt of Dawn and a couple cups of bleach pressure washed and rinsed make them near spotless.

THANK YOU! I am looking at getting a tote this week that previously had lecithin. I was wondering how easy it would be to clean. Did you need hot water?

Goggleeye
02-04-2020, 11:35 AM
THANK YOU! I am looking at getting a tote this week that previously had lecithin. I was wondering how easy it would be to clean. Did you need hot water?

No, no hot water needed. Mine came out spotless and odorless with just the Dawn and bleach and generous rinsing to get all the soap residue out. By the way, it was sunflower lecithin, not safflower. Same plant family, no significant difference.

1arch
02-05-2020, 09:58 PM
I have a free 275 gallon tank for the taking... A coon decided to spin the lid off and crawl into an empty ro water tank. The best we can figure it was in there for 2 weeks until we put a board in for it to crawl out on.