PDA

View Full Version : Cupola question

Shirefisher
04-23-2019, 02:48 PM
Should I have to install one when I have a 1.5 story post and beam open garage/building- open rafters 24' by 48' all open with garage doors and some small windows to open if it gets too steamy. I will be boiling no more than 150 taps anytime in the future with no more than 30-40 taps in the short term and less boil if I buy the bucket ro system.

VTnewguy
04-23-2019, 03:21 PM
What are you boiling on? I would plan on a cupola or a hood with steam stack to vacate the steam.

ecolbeck
04-23-2019, 03:25 PM
Some pictures might be helpful. Small windows won’t cut it for ventilation. Rafters that are open to the underside of the roof are not useful either.

johnallin
04-23-2019, 03:36 PM
Should I have to install one when I have a 1.5 story post and beam open garage/building- open rafters 24' by 48' all open with garage doors and some small windows to open if it gets too steamy. I will be boiling no more than 150 taps anytime in the future with no more than 30-40 taps in the short term and less boil if I buy the bucket ro system.

Steam will rise to the top of your building - if it stays warm enough not to condensate, at which point it will just sit there like a cloud. Opening doors and windows will only make it worse (and colder). You will want a steam stack vented through the roof or a cupola. Even with a cupola, if the air inside is not warm enough to rise up; you may find yourself bumping into walls and/or hot things. Neither are good.........

wmick
04-23-2019, 03:57 PM
I built a cupola on my little shack... and was very glad I did.... It drew out a ton of steam... Worked really well. I roofed it with clear plastic roofing material, so it also lets a bunch of natural light in... (No hydro)...
However - After 1st season in the new shack, I've already been thinking hard about a hood/preheater.... so I wont get as much use out of the cupola in the future maybe.. but still no regrets..

("Hydro"=Electricity --- Forgot it's a Canadian term, I think?)

Shirefisher
04-23-2019, 05:31 PM
I'm going to some open houses this weekend to look at rigs. I'm in the thinking and planning stage. I guess the cupola should work but it's killing me to think of the pain in the area it may be... I'll have to take some pics.

VTnewguy
04-23-2019, 05:36 PM
I'm going to some open houses this weekend to look at rigs. I'm in the thinking and planning stage. I guess the cupola should work but it's killing me to think of the pain in the area it may be... I'll have to take some pics.

Then I would consider doing a steam stack all the way through the roof.

Shirefisher
04-23-2019, 05:41 PM
I'm not sure if these help. But here is a few quick shots.20050 2005120052

ecolbeck
04-23-2019, 06:17 PM
Definitely need venting if your boiling inside. How were you planning to run the chimney stack? Lots of people have small evaporators that are mobile on wheels. You could just wheel it in and out as you need to.

Shirefisher
04-23-2019, 06:54 PM
I keep realizing I may need to build an out building/ stand alone sugar shack.

Michael Greer
04-23-2019, 08:10 PM
The steam from my partly covered front pan alone will wet every surface in my 14'x34' building. If your pans are covered with a closed steam hood, all the steam will be pushed out through the stacks and very little will hang in the building. If you're boiling in open pans you'll definitely need a cupola.

Shirefisher
04-24-2019, 08:06 AM
I posted this in another thread... So my town clerk just let me know that no permit needed and no tax increase on a 10' by 10' building on my property. I'm thinking minimalist.... I'll build a shack around the cupola and the evaporator!