PDA

View Full Version : Bulk Buyers Vermont

PFHII
04-23-2019, 05:41 AM
We are looking for someone who will buy All Bucket & Wood fired Syrup. We have 160 gallons of syrup to sell and wasn’t sure If there was anyone who was looking for this kind of syrup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fred
04-23-2019, 07:28 PM
Sorry, unless you have ashes in your syrup it tastes the same as everyone elses

jmayerl
04-23-2019, 07:52 PM
🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪hahahahaha

ecolbeck
04-23-2019, 07:54 PM
I think he's going for a sense of purity or wholesomeness in production methods. There may be a market for producers who are go back to basics and eschew the use of plastics and their inevitable demise in a landfill. Perhaps its similar to vegetable farmers who use work horses to till their land and use them as a selling point for their produce.

spud
04-23-2019, 10:28 PM

It's Vermont Syrup. It does not taste the same. It's better. :)

Spud

wdchuck
04-24-2019, 05:13 AM
what grades?

BAP
04-24-2019, 06:16 AM
I guess you failed geography, Vermont is several hundred miles from Ohio CDL Fred. Syrup does taste different from different trees, different soil types and so on. As a bulk buyer if you tasted the syrup you are buying you should know that.

johnallin
04-24-2019, 06:39 AM
I guess you failed geography, Vermont is several hundred miles from Ohio CDL Fred. Syrup does taste different from different trees, different soil types and so on. As a bulk buyer if you tasted the syrup you are buying you should know that.

BAP...so Vermont syrup from buckets taste different than syrup from tubing?

No need to get testy or question Fred's integrity.

GeneralStark
04-24-2019, 06:42 AM
We are looking for someone who will buy All Bucket & Wood fired Syrup. We have 160 gallons of syrup to sell and wasn’t sure If there was anyone who was looking for this kind of syrup.

Do you use plastic tanks? Galvanized buckets?

tcross
04-24-2019, 07:03 AM
i've had syrup from Quebec, different regions of Vermont, New Hampshire and New York... each tasted a little different to me. Hell, my syrup taste different then a buddy's of mine 15 miles away! not sure why you all are arguing about this.

n8hutch
04-24-2019, 07:51 AM
The Pattee family has been making award winning syrup for years, I would hope that everyone would have the sense not to question there production methods.

jmattice
04-24-2019, 08:21 AM
Thank you Nate. I was thinking the same thing!!!

GeneralStark
04-24-2019, 09:40 AM
To clarify, my questions are serious. I do buy some bulk syrup...

Perhaps a PM would be more appropriate but the op started the thread.

BAP
04-24-2019, 10:46 AM
BAP...so Vermont syrup from buckets taste different than syrup from tubing?

No need to get testy or question Fred's integrity.
The OP was asking about Vermont buyers not Ohio.

bobbyjake
04-24-2019, 01:42 PM

I hardly ever contribute to this site, but this is close to the most ignorant statement I have read on here. Wow!
CDL Dealer.... Hmmmmm. Makes you think.

maple flats
04-24-2019, 08:06 PM
To answer the original question, it only matters if you have grade A syrup representative of the grade it is. Then the only difference is if it is certified organic or not. Organic with documentation commands about $.15/lb more. It does not matter if it was collected in buckets (as long as there is no lead issue) or if it was wood fired, or gas, or oil or whatever fuel.

fred
04-24-2019, 09:17 PM

nice to know your still a douche!! must be why ohio is always in the top tier with syrup at the national meeetings.

BTW your right the syrup made in New Hampshire is mediocre, that's why bascoms buys from ohio, to get that nasty taste out of your midstate syrup

BAP
04-25-2019, 05:29 AM
nice to know your still a douche!! must be why ohio is always in the top tier with syrup at the national meeetings.

BTW your right the syrup made in New Hampshire is mediocre, that's why bascoms buys from ohio, to get that nasty taste out of your midstate syrup
Back at you because you still didn’t read the OP’S question along with others including a Moderator that he was asking for Vermont buyers, not Ohio, not New York. The OP was looking if anyone would be interested in buying Syrup made a certain way and be willing to pay more for it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking a question like that and trying to get a little more time for your product. Unfortunately, many on here are so dead set against believing that there actually is a difference in Syrup flavor from different locations, different production methods, how fast the sap was taken care and so on, that they keep belittling anyone who says there is. People need to get out of their own sugar house and go visit other producers in different locations to sample Syrup. I commend the OP for trying to find a niche market for Syrup they made with more basic production methods.
By the way Fred, this is a friendly forum, not one to be calling people names. Maybe the Moderators need to be addressing that issue.

S.S.S
04-25-2019, 06:43 AM
I can tell you that a sugarbush a mile down the road taste different then ours.

johnallin
04-25-2019, 07:20 AM
It’s common knowledge that different trees will offer up different flavors.
But I still don’t think syrup from buckets tastes any different than syrup from tubing or bags.

ecolbeck
04-25-2019, 07:30 AM
But I still don’t think syrup from buckets tastes any different than syrup from tubing or bags.

That may be true but, again, it isn't really the point the OP was getting at. As others have pointed out, the question is about a niche market based on production techniques. If the OP can command a premium for syrup made in a particular way, then more power to them. Everybody who sells their syrup is marketing an image of some kind (intentional or not). How you craft your image matters to those who buy your product.

Dmaskell
04-26-2019, 05:24 AM
I think its an important topic, especially as methods of making syrup are changing as fast as they ever had, how can the caramelization be the same for one producer using 19 percent sap versus a person using raw sap. I know I like steak, and lots of other stuff cooked over a wood fire, I don't know about anyone else, and I also know that everyday of the season that we make syrup, the flavor changes. my brother and I do 3000 taps with no RO and so far we have struggled to find/make a market to get more for our work. I think it will happen though and there is no doubt that not all syrup tastes the same, and ROs can have a huge effect, but as maple producers we should use positive language and marketing when referring to each other in order to build us all up together, its not better, perhaps, but it is definitely different. Then their are filter presses, tubing etc, and I think all of those things come their own drawback and advantages but I think there should be a lot more dialogue on this issue, rather than people saying no no its the same, well maybe it isn't.

GeneralStark
04-26-2019, 06:05 AM
While different production methods and their impacts to syrup flavor are an interesting topic, that is not what this thread is about. It is about a very specific subject, which is about selling bulk syrup. Perhaps this would have been better located in the classifieds, but I suspect the op is just putting out feelers. If you don't have interest in purchasing their syrup, why would you respond to the thread? It seems that this has become more of the norm here and maybe it's less moderation than in the past, or maybe it's something else. But perhaps members new and old should review the forum rules and remind themselves that some of the responses here go against the spirit of this forum. This is a community of maple enthusiasts and while it may be easy to type off a flippant response due to the nature of this medium (internet), keep in mind that we are all in this together. Ask yourself, would I respond to this person in this way if I were next to him/her having a conversation?

If someone wants to start, or better yet revive a thread (as there are lots), about production techniques and syrup flavor then please do. But this is not the thread for that...

JoeJ
04-26-2019, 06:07 AM
Five or six years ago, I had a couple of college students from UVM come out to my sugar house to check out my operation and sample my syrup. The student were in a marketing class and had to develop a sales and marketing plan for a product. They chose to develop a plan for selling maple syrup based on the different taste of syrup from different sugar bushes. They had a pretty good marketing plan for the internet and offered syrup from 6 or 7 different sugar bushes based on the distinct taste from each operation. I don't know how they did overall, but the sales promotion only lasted six months or so and they only made one sale of my syrup to one of the students mother from Colorado. However, I did get one repeat customer who now makes a pretty good purchase each year. I guess that the two students found out that some gimmicks for selling maple syrup will only be successful on a limited basis. I don't think that you will find bulk buyers to by syrup based on some specialty like bucket syrup.

I collect my sap using a vacuum tubing system, use a RO to concentrate my sap to 15%, and boil my syrup using an oil evaporator. Seems like I am doing everything not the old nostalgic way, yet I have many long time customers that come back year after year to buy my syrup.

Joe

GeneralStark
04-26-2019, 06:12 AM
Will somebody please start a different thread or revive an old one if they want to discuss production methods and syrup flavor?!?!?!

MapleCamp
04-26-2019, 09:14 AM
Spot on General, I've noticed this trend as well

JoeJ
04-26-2019, 11:18 AM
I would assume that the OP thinks that his collection method (buckets) and production method (wood fired) imparts some special taste or nostalgia to his syrup that makes him think his syrup is different and that a bulk buyer might desire what he has produced. Otherwise, what else does the OP think makes his syrup special if it is not the collection method and production method????

Clinkis
04-26-2019, 03:29 PM
I would assume that the OP thinks that his collection method (buckets) and production method (wood fired) imparts some special taste or nostalgia to his syrup that makes him think his syrup is different and that a bulk buyer might desire what he has produced. Otherwise, what else does the OP think makes his syrup special if it is not the collection method and production method????

Agreed. The original poster was looking for bulk buyers for his specific production methods (or at least that’s how I took it) Not sure why some think that comments about different production methods on the thread are not relevant, need to be moved to another thread or require moderator intervention?

Also agree with the comment about keeping this friendly and informative.

n8hutch
04-26-2019, 05:43 PM
The Reason, at least I feel anyway that threads need to stay on topic is that when they go off the rails it discourages people from participating on this website, we have lost alot of great contributors on this forum because of negative comments and people who tend to ramble off topic.

I am certain that I have made plenty of bad and or off topic posts on here myself and every time I do I regret it. One problem with words and not speaking to people is you don't get the Tone of the conversation so I think sometimes things here get out of hand w/o good reason.

maple flats
04-26-2019, 06:36 PM
With all of this discussion in this thread, I notice that the original poster never made any further post. I think they could better get a realistic answer if they clarified what the question is, rather than having so many guesses.
IMHO I think at 160 gal no bulk buyer would be interested in keeping this syrup segregated from every one elses. Thus I say they would buy it, but note likely keep it separate to market it as different.

GeneralStark
04-26-2019, 07:58 PM
Agreed. The original poster was looking for bulk buyers for his specific production methods (or at least that’s how I took it) Not sure why some think that comments about different production methods on the thread are not relevant, need to be moved to another thread or require moderator intervention?

Also agree with the comment about keeping this friendly and informative.

Please feel free to point me to the "friendly and informative" posts in this thread...lol.

Whether or not comments regarding production methods are relevant is not the point. This forum reads like a 13 year old with ADHD. A post starts with a specific questions and by the third response, we're on a different topic...In this case of this thread the op's question is no longer even relevant. If you were the op, would you return to answer any questions or clarify your perspective?

The point of a discussion forum is to share ideas. If someone wants to discuss various production methods and their impacts on syrup flavor, why would they look in a thread called "Bulk Buyers Vermont"?

My point is if people want to discuss production methods and syrup flavor, then they are more likely to respond to a thread that at the least has a relevant title. And as Nate said, many people no longer participate here because of all the off-topic rants and random comments. This is a lightly moderated forum so we could all do ourselves a favor by self-moderating more effectively.

GeneralStark
04-26-2019, 08:06 PM
With all of this discussion in this thread, I notice that the original poster never made any further post. I think they could better get a realistic answer if they clarified what the question is, rather than having so many guesses.

The original post seems pretty clear to me. They are wondering if anyone is interested in purchasing any bulk vt syrup from a bucket and wood fired operation. Simple as that. No need to assume or guess what their intent was.

As a moderator of this forum do you think this thread demonstrates respectful interactions among members? Do you really expect the op to return and clarify their question?

jmayerl
04-26-2019, 10:15 PM
The original post seems pretty clear to me. They are wondering if anyone is interested in purchasing any bulk vt syrup from a bucket and wood fired operation. Simple as that. No need to assume or guess what their intent was.

As a moderator of this forum do you think this thread demonstrates respectful interactions among members? Do you really expect the op to return and clarify their question?
Then if this is what you feel why was this not immediately moved to the classified ad section? That is where all for sale/buy ads go; this is a thread for discussion.

PFHII
04-27-2019, 06:51 AM
While different production methods and their impacts to syrup flavor are an interesting topic, that is not what this thread is about. It is about a very specific subject, which is about selling bulk syrup. Perhaps this would have been better located in the classifieds, but I suspect the op is just putting out feelers. If you don't have interest in purchasing their syrup, why would you respond to the thread? It seems that this has become more of the norm here and maybe it's less moderation than in the past, or maybe it's something else. But perhaps members new and old should review the forum rules and remind themselves that some of the responses here go against the spirit of this forum. This is a community of maple enthusiasts and while it may be easy to type off a flippant response due to the nature of this medium (internet), keep in mind that we are all in this together. Ask yourself, would I respond to this person in this way if I were next to him/her having a conversation?

If someone wants to start, or better yet revive a thread (as there are lots), about production techniques and syrup flavor then please do. But this is not the thread for that...

Thank you

PFHII
04-27-2019, 07:01 AM
I apologize for starting this topic. We have always sold our syrup to a small company who had customers who wanted syrup made with Buckets and wood fire. Because of a death this company is no longer in business. Yes there is a difference in taste, and there is a market for this type of syrup, and yes I believe 3 national awards in 10 years and a best in show at one of those shows proves our syrup is different. I will delete this topic shortly so most of you can move on and find someone else to criticize!

BAP
04-27-2019, 07:30 AM
[QUOTE=PFHII;372039]I apologize for starting this topic. We have always sold our syrup to a small company who had customers who wanted syrup made with Buckets and wood fire. Because of a death this company is no longer in business. Yes there is a difference in taste, and there is a market for this type of syrup, and yes I believe 3 national awards in 10 years and a best in show at one of those shows proves our syrup is different. I will delete this topic shortly so most of you can move on and find someone else to criticize!

Sent from my iPhone using

Please do not feel bad about asking a legitimate question. It was certainly a valid question and a good way to reach out to other Vermont producers to see if they know someone who is buying Syrup produced the way you make it. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people lately who respond to threads without reading the questions and keeping the answers strictly to questions asked. Since Maple Trader was sold, it has turned into a more “Free For All” situation because there seems to be no oversight by the new owners like the old owners used to. Good luck finding a buyer who appreciates your quality product with a unique production methods. There are people out there who find value in that.

Sugarmaker
04-27-2019, 07:46 AM
I apologize for starting this topic. We have always sold our syrup to a small company who had customers who wanted syrup made with Buckets and wood fire. Because of a death this company is no longer in business. Yes there is a difference in taste, and there is a market for this type of syrup, and yes I believe 3 national awards in 10 years and a best in show at one of those shows proves our syrup is different. I will delete this topic shortly so most of you can move on and find someone else to criticize!

No need to apoligize. Congratulations on your awards. Obviously they speak for themselves! Niche markets are always there for good products! I wish you the best in finding the spot for your bulk syrup.
The Maple trader, Well its a pretty good place in general to hang out. Opinions, well everybody has them and sometimes they get written quickly. I would hope you are able to continue to post and contribute to the maple folks on here that need mentoring.
BTW Thats a lot of buckets! I was up to 400 at one time and that was enough for me.
Regards,
Chris

maple flats
04-27-2019, 08:14 AM
I see absolutely no reason to delete the thread or post.
I sounds like you have educated many of us. It would have gotten far fewer remarks in the wrong direction if you had chimed in sooner about your honors earned in the past and the fact that you have previously been selling your syrup to a unique buyer who looked for bucket collected and wood fired syrup.
I for one certainly was not aware any bulk buyers looked for such syrup, I never intended to talk down to you PFHII.

heus
04-27-2019, 08:19 AM
I started a thread relating to this debate.