PDA

View Full Version : How do you pump hot water from steam pan/steam-away to reservoir/tank?

javahill
04-23-2019, 02:33 AM
Steam-always/steam pans produce a lot of hot water. How have you set up your plumbing? Does the hot water go into a bucket/tank and then you pump it up to a reservoir/tank over a sink? Can you plumb directly to a reservoir?

What kind of pump do you use for the near boiling water? How do you drain it so that it doesn’t freeze overnight?

Thanks

Bruce L
04-23-2019, 05:20 AM
Our steam away water drops into a 400 gallon tank behind the sugar house,then a pipe coming out the bottom spout is teed to either dump the water on the ground or come back into the sugar house,where I have a grundfos pump( meant for hot water from an outdoor furnace) to pump the distilled hot water back into whichever pan I choose to clean up

DrTimPerkins
04-23-2019, 07:19 AM
That's similar to what we had when we used a Steamaway. Stainless pipe coming off the evaporator to a 300-gal tank. We didn't pump it...just had it elevated a little with a spigot to fill buckets with hot water.

With our Lapierre Volcano 2000 we have a hot water heater loop in the backpan. We pump water through the loop with a circulation pump (meant for hot water heating systems) into a 1,500 gal tank (we usually only fill to 800-1,000 gal). The pump loop also has outlets at several other places in the building where we might want hot water, particularly near the sink for washing the filter press.

unc23win
04-23-2019, 12:27 PM
I’m looking into doing something with my water from my piggy back. I had it plumbed with a T and valve to fill buckets or drain out floor drain. I didn’t have time to do it any other way. My water comes out right next to my hog float. So I either have to go around the back or under the evaporator. I’m leaning towards under evaporator into a tank with pump then plumb it so I can make better use of good hot water.

What about freezing is it an issue? Pump circulate all the time? Any issues?

Bruce L
04-24-2019, 02:56 PM
I have my pump plumbed with ball valves and quick connectors that I take the pump home most every night