PDA

View Full Version : Identifying off flavours in syrup

Bruce L
04-22-2019, 07:33 AM
Wish there was a course available nearby that would deal with this issue. I judge several fairs yearly,to which I run into some off flavours in syrup more often than one might think. Had two occasions this past weekend even in which I found off flavours that I personally would not buy the syrup,but could not give a definitive answer. First case delivered 4 gallons to a customer,his neighbor had tapped some trees on his cottage property so handed him a bottle of syrup. Nice light colour,crystal clear,but had a taste of perhaps “ smoke “ in it,wife and I couldn’t agree on what it was,but DEFINITELY something there. Second case yesterday where brother in law was given a gallon of syrup,again nice light colour,but my wife and I both picked up on a “ plasticy “ taste,that most people that were having breakfast there hadn’t picked up on. Would like to see information days in the spring have samples of off flavoured syrup so producers could have a benchmark to address an issue and know where to look should a problem arise

fred
04-22-2019, 08:02 AM
there is info out there and physical papers to judge by. the first case is 'nitre or ashes' in the syrup. the second is ''chemical'' which can be defoamer if waxy or off flavor due to lack of proper rinse of equipment after washing

DrTimPerkins
04-22-2019, 08:06 AM
There is a "IMSI Maple Syrup Grading School" that has been taught in several places around the maple world. Usually they are held just before the IMSI annual meeting, so there will be one in Minnesota in October. Excellent multi-day course. https://extension.umaine.edu/maple-grading-school/

Besides that, there is also an Maple Off-Flavor Kit #1 (buddy, metabolism, sour) made by Mark Isselhardt (UVM Maple Extension) available through some associations. He is preparing for Kit #2, which will have a second set of off-flavors.