PDA

View Full Version : New arch shopping

Mille705
04-20-2019, 06:03 PM
Well I made it through the season but it is time for a new arch. I am boiling on a 2x6 leader traditional arch. I have gone from thinking of just going and replacing with a leader classic arch, to jumping to oil/propane to back to an inferno. I was a little shocked at the price of going to propane but would like the convenience. Anyone running an inferno? Thoughts? I just don’t know what to do.

Russell Lampron
04-20-2019, 06:09 PM
I had Bill Mason (WF Mason) build me an AUF/AOF arch for my 2x6 pans. It's a night and day difference compared to my old standard arch.

VTnewguy
04-21-2019, 05:45 AM
Well I made it through the season but it is time for a new arch. I am boiling on a 2x6 leader traditional arch. I have gone from thinking of just going and replacing with a leader classic arch, to jumping to oil/propane to back to an inferno. I was a little shocked at the price of going to propane but would like the convenience. Anyone running an inferno? Thoughts? I just don’t know what to do.

We changed from a traditional patriot pan set up with the cast iron door to a air tight door a couple of years ago. Night and day performance and it didn't require replacing the whole arch. Instead of all that energy turning the door red it's going into the pans. Add in the blower and it boils real well.

motowbrowne
04-21-2019, 07:30 AM
I'd check the price of a Thor arch. Sippl sugarbush in Birnamwood WI is a dealer. They make traditional arches as well as an inferno style.

Ed R
04-21-2019, 11:28 AM
sunrise metal shop in Indiana would be another relatively close option. They make nice equipment.

maple flats
04-22-2019, 08:47 AM
I second both the Thor and Sunrise arches. Get prices on both and compare. Just be sure you get a prices on the high efficiency versions, both make them. Then choose comparing features and prices delivered. The best prices might be in the next month, after the middle or end of May, the spring discounts disappear.

tcross
05-10-2019, 09:03 AM
i'm strongly considering buying an arch from Thor. the price they gave me was very attractive. does anyone know if there is a sales tax applied to maple products in Quebec?

GeneralStark
05-10-2019, 09:10 AM
One thing to consider is if something on the arch breaks or it doesn't perform adequately is who is going to come make it right and how long might that take?

Barkley
05-19-2019, 02:08 PM
Anyone trying out the CDl Venturi evaporator or familiar with any system that has a blower feeding into the stack to create the draft? Wondering about the pros and cons of this arch design.

Rockport
05-20-2019, 09:29 PM
I am very impressed with the Venturi setup although I dont have one yet I will be most likely buying one when I do buy ,,next year I hope. The design is pretty unique in that does pull the draft and not push it into the arch.

eagle lake sugar
05-21-2019, 05:16 AM
Anyone trying out the CDl Venturi evaporator or familiar with any system that has a blower feeding into the stack to create the draft? Wondering about the pros and cons of this arch design.

If I were in the market, I'd definitely consider the Venturi. It supposedly gives a more even boil and good boil rates, I'd like to see one in operation.

maple flats
05-21-2019, 07:39 AM
Back in 2010 I got a new set of pans from Thor for my 3x8. They quoted me the exact total cost in US dollars. I picked it up at the factory. Their work was excellent. Then crossing the border you have a duty to pay at the border crossing and need an agent to process it. If you have it delivered that will all be factored in.

nymapleguy607
05-21-2019, 09:56 AM
The venturi evaporator looks like a good option for smaller producers that cant don't need a larger size arch offering, in talking to the sales rep he said the only thing to note is that it wont be capable of gasification like the intensofire. But in most cases people don't operate their arches to gasify. One benefit I see is that draft should remain constant on the evaporator.